WHAT!!! Is going on with the Stock Market!

SLOCOOKN
SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I just looked at some of my stocks and about fell out of my chair!!!:eek::D

This explosion came out of no where!

What do you think is going on?:confused:
:eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
Sony cx985v (for now)
BBE 482i
B&K AVP 1030
Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
Nordost RCA
SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
Belkin pf60
Carver TFM 55x
Signal Analog 2 RCA
AudioQuestType 4
VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
Post edited by SLOCOOKN on

Comments

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited July 2007
    Companies are releasing their quarterly reports, analyzers are releasing their estimates and updating ratings.

Yesterday looked bad but today was excellent. I just put a large chunk of my 401k into RIO yesterday, which jumped up by 8.5% since I bought it. Bought INTC also, up 5%. GMK 3%. NOK 3%. Carmax is only one I'm taking losses right now.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2007
    Sami, check the history on SBS and NVDA the past 4 months then ask me why I'm grinning!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    I have NVDA as well but my biggest personal gainer is AMX by far. 2.7x for 52wk for NVIDIA and 2.2x for 52wk for AMX. SBS falls between them. I made some money off NVIDIA a few years ago, and a lot of money from Nissan NSNY (they almost tripled as well).

I have done a lot of day trading, usually $300-400 a day profit per stock by buying in the morning and selling in the afternoon. It's a lot of work to keep up with the prices though and carries a big risk but I only do it on stocks that I believe will go up in the long term.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    Companies are releasing their quarterly reports, analyzers are releasing their estimates and updating ratings.

Yesterday looked bad but today was excellent. I just put a large chunk of my 401k into RIO yesterday, which jumped up by 8.5% since I bought it. Bought INTC also, up 5%. GMK 3%. NOK 3%. Carmax is only one I'm taking losses right now.

hahahah, Im wasnt paying mutch attention yesterday or today but if they thought it was looking bad yesterday, a crap load of people could have short sold and are in deep trouble :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2007
    me likey them nice big numbers :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    My current stock (ACTC) has taken a bit of a dump but I am holding it in anticipation of future stem cell legislation and funding under the next regime (hopefully).
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    hahahah, Im wasnt paying mutch attention yesterday or today but if they thought it was looking bad yesterday, a crap load of people could have short sold and are in deep trouble :)

Haha, very true. Because the "crash" I actually put my reserves in. I usually keep $20-30k in cash for cases similar to this. Yesterday I had even more since I had realized some of my profits from other stocks last week.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited July 2007
    Darla:

I'm thinking the same way. I've started to buy some biotech stocks to balance out my O&G stocks as a hedge bet on the next election.

Sami:

Lucky ****, I can't keep that much on the sideline... ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • wingnut4772
    edited July 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Darla:

I'm thinking the same way. I've started to buy some biotech stocks to balance out my O&G stocks as a hedge bet on the next election.

Sami:

Well here's to hoping we are right!:)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Sami
    edited July 2007

I usually bet big on only on stocks I know something about, that's holding me back on biotech. Any hints besides ACTC? Maybe I'll start making small purchases, I think the stem cell verdict is going to be reversed pretty soon (well, after the next election probably) so there is some money to be made when that happens.

I'll try to time my day trading portion in a manner that I always have some cash in hand, you don't want to get caught redhanded when big news comes out or some stock drops with some BS reason and you feel it's going to bounce right back. Remember, this is my 401k money from my previous job, my regular account is much smaller. :)
  • wingnut4772
    edited July 2007
    It's total speculation (read gambling) for me peppered with a little educated hope maybe. They have released a few promising press releases but who knows where it will go. It did take a nice jump with the new Democratic Congress but went back down with every Veto so maybe that is a hint of future performance.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Sami
    edited July 2007
    Well, we don't know who's in the office next season but if it looks like it's a female I would think ACTC will take a jump with the federal funding that most likely will get accomplished.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    I lost everything in the MCI/WorldCom debacle but I'm glad you folks are prospering!!! I heard it all started off with K-Mart jumping up by leaps.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited July 2007
    Made just under $5K yesterday. Hope it keeps this up!
  • wingnut4772
    edited July 2007
    Made just under $5K yesterday. Hope it keeps this up!

Just don't forget your stops!:eek:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    Don't forget to "sell high".
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited July 2007
    Sami - how do you have enough time to research, buy, and following stocks in order to make money day trading?

I'd love to be able to dabble in day trading, but with so little time during the day, I'd just be shooting in the dark.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Sami - how do you have enough time to research, buy, and following stocks in order to make money day trading?

I'd love to be able to dabble in day trading, but with so little time during the day, I'd just be shooting in the dark.
    I just do it with couple of stock that I have already in my portfolio. Being Software Engineer, I sit by a computer most of the time when NYSE is open and that helps a lot. And the dual monitor setup. Just take a climbs of the prices every 15-20mins and buy when it gets to what you predict will be the low point of the day, then sell around 2% higher when it reaches the high point. But you do have to follow the prices every day.
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    For what it's worth, my picks for stocks to watch:

RIO
    INTC
    GMK
    NVDA

I think all have still good growing potential. I would still add AMX to the mix although there is a concern with the monopoly allegations by Calderon. My portfolio as of today consists of:

RIO
    INTC
    NVDA
    NOK
    GMK
    TV
    BAC
    AMX
    TMX
    CX
    KMX
  • jdhdiggs
    edited July 2007
    I own two of your "watch" list and several of the others ;). Looks a touch tech heavy though- But it definately helps to invest in company's in a field that you "know".

I'd post the stocks I own, but it's a long list. 43 stocks and 5 mutual funds.
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    It's tech heavy, I admit, but I don't feel comfortable getting into something I have no clue about and I have to take someones word for it. Intel/AMD/NVidia you know if you're into computers and games, Nokia/America Movil, well I used to work for Nokia almost 10 years and at some point I would have shorted the stock successfully if I was enabled to do that (I really do not want to get into that though, it's too dangerous for my blood). Now I think both are good buys with decent potential.

I got out of Nissan because I knew the boom is over, they had huge growth following the transition from bankrupt ready company into very successful revival. I made some good money there, and that's because I was in the market for a new car at that time.

What else, RIO is a Brazilian (doh :)) metal company and my second largest investment at the moment. I have CarMax which was great a while back, now dragging a little. Grupo Televisa, the largest media production company in the Spanish speaking world. My wife is Mexican and watches her soap operas regularly, if you have ever seen Univision logo on TV, that's mostly their productions. Gruma, South American flour producer, tortillas etc. TMX is another telecom operator, Mexico's premier fixed line operator. Bank of America, this is there simply to get some diversification.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited July 2007
    I own approximately 25-30 individual stocks (not counting mutual funds, 401K, etc.). Nothing that's on your list is anything I currently own (except a few shares of KMX), mine are managed by a small Financial Services firm run by my friend's dad.

I've long been thinking of opening an account with a cheaper online trading copmany (maybe Scottrade, etc.) and playing around with $10K or so. My current advisor can therefore handle long-term, and I can dabble in lower-transaction cost day-trading and/or trying some "tips" from fellow investors.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    Go for it Andy! Wouldn't hurt to get your nose in the stock market, with good investments you'll make much more in the end. Although you also risk losing much more but that's the name of the game. :)

On my next round of buy and sell I'll most likely add NHY into my portfolio. You guys can thank me later for the tip. :D
  • Sami
    edited December 2007
    I just opened up my 401k account for the first time in about a month, was too scared to look. Well, what do you know, it's been going up after all. :)

Didn't put too much money on NHY but I did put a sizeable chunk into Turkcell (TKC). Up 45% so I'm still going a little up despite the crash. Almost everything else is down considerably, the only other ones on the positive since then are PBR and RIO (if I'm looking at it correctly).

Anyone else scared to look or are you going up?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    No, I've got another 30 years before I'm cashing it in so I'm thinking things might turn around by then.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited December 2007
    Remember... those of you with realized capital gains ('specially short term) this year might want to sell a few losers before the end of the year. The taxman cometh...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    Remember, its not about 'timing the market', its about 'time in the market'. ;-)
  • Sami
    edited December 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    No, I've got another 30 years before I'm cashing it in so I'm thinking things might turn around by then.

BDT

I'm shooting for another 10 years (I'm 36 right now) before retiring but if all goes as planned I don't have to touch my 401k funds. Of course there is nothing to worry about in the short term but I like to keep a close eye on where the money is as I'm 100% on individual stocks and not on mutual funds.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited December 2007
    This up/down market is a pain in the butt. I have all my money with someone, and they seem to be doing pretty well (it's all in funds).

My cousin also handles a couple of my dollars and recommends investing in China. He recommended CHL, EDU, FXI & WX. They are up 11.5% since 11/19.

AAPL (apple) also seems to be doing pretty well. Check out a 6mo chart on it.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    There’s a lot of people here that are pretty damn good financial investing guys, I've seen them posting here and in the past.

Im not so sure what to do right now. I'm usually right about the trends I see, I saw the housing market busting long ago and was telling my uneducated family members who were buying plots of land all over the place that they needed to get out of it. They didn’t and they have lost some serious cash. One of them owns a good 15 rentals and I kept telling him to sell them when the bubble was at its highest peak. Note: I am in a housing market thats still on of the best in the country but still failing. I cant imagine what the market is like in some of your areas.

This housing and credit thing (as well as the dollar) is serious trouble. Last I read, people are bailing out if financial institution stalks (aka Countrywide).

Hell, even China is blaming some economic problems now on the USA (although I also hear they are just simply trying to clam down their double digit growth but don’t want to until after the Olympics which is a whole different story).

I’m sensing a deep recession coming our way of almost our great depression size. We've been avoiding these problems with a war like economic engine but that’s dragging on.

My current take on things is to invest in my own security if this were to happen. Stock pile supplies in my basement in large quantity (food and supplies) and have a large set of liquid assets that I can use. Not necessarily cash (inflation would probably kill its value) but something else. This may sound dooms day like and I am a very financially conservative person but signs are not good right now and it wouldn’t hurt to do this any ways to be prepared for anything else such as natural disaster in the area. I laughed at people who did this all over this area before y2k, but this is different to me. I plan on doing things such as trying to be able to pay well ahead on my house so its never in danger of being lost in a big problem. This is all something I learned form my grandma/Grandpa who lived through the Depression and up to 15 years ago loaded their basemtn with enough supplies to last a year (swear to God), I thought it was goofy as a kid but I understand now.

I’m getting worried about investing and Im worried about my 401K.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing