Microsoft Outlook Problem

tryrrthg
tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Over the last few weeks my Microsoft Outlook (2003) is pissing me off. It's gotten progressively slower. It takes like 30 seconds to a minute to switch between messages (I have the reading pane on). If I click "reply" it takes about a minute for the message window to pop up so that I can start typing. When I do start typing it pretty much freezes up for a minute or two before it displays all the stuff I typed.

What the heck can I do to fix this? I've deleted just about every unneeded message to make the inbox smaller. I've put stuff that I do need, but don't use very often, in the archived folder. It's really frustrating. This is the only program on the computer that runs this slow...

Can anyone help?
Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
Post edited by tryrrthg on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited July 2007
    Gmail?
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited July 2007
    I have a friend who has the same issue. I've not looked at it yet myself, but he claims to be virus- and spyware-free. He's re-installed, which didn't fix the problem.

You could try Tools=>Options=>Other and unchecking "Enable Instant Messaging", but that didn't fix my friend's problem and probably isn't your issue either.

If anyone has any ideas, i'd also be interested.

tim
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited July 2007
    Check your sent messages also. People forget to delete those.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • tryrrthg
    edited July 2007
    edbert wrote: »
    Check your sent messages also. People forget to delete those.
    I'm pretty sure I have those set up to be deleted if they are older than a month, or so.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    Is this at work, or at home?

IMAP? POP3? Exchange? Or what?

I'm willing to bet that there are other issues with the computer, and that it's not just Outlook.
  • tryrrthg
    edited July 2007
    phuz wrote: »
    Is this at work, or at home?

IMAP? POP3? Exchange? Or what?

I'm willing to bet that there are other issues with the computer, and that it's not just Outlook.
    Home.

POP3, I think. It is email from our road runner/time warner account

Outlook is the only program that runs slow. Internet, and other microsoft office products run just fine.
  • phuz
    edited July 2007
    Try Outlook express and see if you have the same problem.

I'm not saying use it instead of Outlook, I'm saying try it and see if you have the same problem... so that we can determine if it's Outlook, your ISP, router, AV software, system, or what.

It OE has the similar problems, it's not Outlook. If OE doesn't have problems, then we can troubleshoot Outlook. (or get rid of it!)

Oh, and just to be safe... defrag or check to see if it's needed.
  • cnjvh
    cnjvh Posts: 253
    edited July 2007
    Virus scanners check every action you do with Outlook. I had one go haywire and cause the exact symptoms you describe. Try temorarily disabling your virus scanner and see what happens.
    No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
    Front: Polk Audio RTi12
    Center: Polk Audio CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
    Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
    Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
    STB: Xfinity X1DVR
  • tryrrthg
    edited July 2007
    Ok, so this is how last night went. I opened outlook and get the usual slow as hell response. I delete a few messages (from the deleted Items folder) and outlook starts working like it should. I close it to run spybot and ad-aware, nothing of concern shows up with those. I then re-opened outlook and get more slow response. I delete some files in the deleted folder and it starts running better. I then compacted my inbox and archived folder, still running well after that. Just for **** and giggles I closed outlook and reopened only to find the damn thing slow again.

Oh, I also defragmented the hard drive and that didn't help.

I tried outlook express, but only imported my inbox and it seemed to work fine. I could quickly switch between messages and type a new one without any lag time.

Anyone got any ideas?
  • phuz
    edited July 2007
    What AV software are you running? If it performs slowly when it first starts up, maybe your AV is doing an initial scan of messages when it starts up.. then after it's done it starts to perform better.

Are you using a .pst or personal folder?

Try changing your view settings. Auto preview in Outlook can slow things down, also make sure you have SP2 for Outlook installed.

Do you have a lot of emails with large attachments? Those will slow things down quite a bit. Also, verify that your doing POP3. IMAP *and* POP3 can be much slower if you are leaving messages on the email server.
  • tryrrthg
    edited July 2007
    mcafee is my AV software. outlook still runs slow after being open all day.

using a .pst file for the inbox and then have an archive one also.

almost positive it is a pop3. I'm also pretty sure I am not leaving messages on the server.

Just got these links from my cousin who was trying to figure this out for me also. It looks like I'm not the only one... Apparently a security update from microsoft that was put out some time between March and May is causing this. I will have to try some of those work arounds.

http://www.pc-care.ca/resources/bitsbytes/outlook-issues.html

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_thread/thread/dee9d3bbea98015f/3af2e84f0d177eb9%233af2e84f0d177eb9
  • phuz
    edited July 2007
    That's some good info. Good to know.