Can property taxes be lowered? (special situation)

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
My wife and I are looking to bid on a short sale house that sold for $165,000 4 years ago and is now listed at $123,000. The auditor's site says the house is appraised at $166,000 but in the condition it's in I think that's WAY too high. The property taxes are $3300/year for the house but looking at houses similar to this one they should be more like $2400-$2600. Is it possible to contact the auditor's office or anyone else and have the appraisal dropped in hopes of lowering property taxes? Or will they laugh at me and continue to eat their Grape Nuts?

Thanks! :p
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2007
    It's worth what the market will bear. If you buy the house for 123K, your property taxes should reflect the current market conditions.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    The rules change based on locality. Nevertheless, you should be able to formally dispute a tax assessment after you buy the home, of course.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    It all depends on the assessed value, so a house bought at 123k could be taxed on that amount. Where a house at the same value could be taxed at 65k on the tax books, this could be the reason for the difference you see. Tell me about it SUCKS.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    The rules change based on locality. Nevertheless, you should be able to formally dispute a tax assessment after you buy the home, of course.

Correct!

Most of the time, no matter where you live, you can appeal your assessment. Even if you paid more than the "market value". Depends here you live. Contact your local tax office or a real estate agent in your area. The good ones know the ropes.
    Carl

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited July 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Correct!

Most of the time, no matter where you live, you can appeal your assessment. Even if you paid more than the "market value". Depends here you live. Contact your local tax office or a real estate agent in your area. The good ones know the ropes.

Market value is the last word. If you pay less, the appraisal should follow that
    when you bring it to their attention. But do expect it to rise to what the others are valued at in a couple of years. They assume it's par with other local houses until proven otherwise. You'd be surprized by the number of people that claim they're too high, even when the appraisal is too low!
    Sad when the city looks at it and has to raise it!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited July 2007
    Here in our county in Pennsylvania the property taxes are based on assessed value. Market value is irrelevant. Every ten years or so a new assessment is conducted and taxes are adjusted accordingly. We can dispute the assessment and have it reviewed so there is theoretically a method to have taxes lowered.

Not sure about other states.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited July 2007
    Around here you'd get laughed at. As with any county you can contest all you want, whether it will actually get you a reduction.........not likely. ****, for 2 years my bro has been fighting the tax assessors office here in this county just to get a $5000 owner occupied exemption on his taxes for this year and last year retroactive. Nothing but the run around from the assessors office, title company and the lawyer who supposedly was looking out for him at closing.

I work for a title compay and I actually noticed on hsi tax bill he wasn't getting the owner occupied exemption. I work with the assessors office on a weekly basis and still couldn't get any help for him. Finally they got it corrected on this years taxes but he is SOL for the previous years.

Have you looked at the other tax bill in question (the lower one)? If there is an owner occupied exemption, over 65, or senior freeze the taxes atleast around here are quite a bit lower, epecially if one has all 3. If the house in question were around here and was rental property none of these exemptions would apply and the tax rate would be generally higher.

Also some properties are assessed at different times so everyone maybe paying the same percentage but on something that hasn't been as recently assessed. Bottom line is PROPERTY TAXES SUCK as far as fair and equitable distribution goes. If the taxes are too high on the property you want to buy, walk away.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited March 2008
    You absolutely can dispute the amount of property tax.
    It should be based on the sale (not listing) price of the home.
    But as in most things govermental , the county accessor is in no hurry to lower your property tax,
    you'll have to ask for a re-appraisal if the don't recalculate based on purchase price.

-Luc
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2008
    Get a few chickens in the backyard and claim it as a farm... :D
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    3.3k on 166k house? WTH? I am SOOOO glad I don't live up north!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited March 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    3.3k on 166k house? WTH? I am SOOOO glad I don't live up north!

Mine are 6400,and my county is one of the lowest.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    If you have a case, in my experience, usually yes. Sometimes without a case.
    -Ignorance is strength -