Restaurants and Chefs

xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,798
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
I am sitting here watch “The Essence of Emeril” and I am remembering the King Rack of Lamb I had at his restaurant Delmonicos in Las Vegas. I was wondering what are some meals that cause you guys to pause. Who are some favorite chefs?

There was also a local chef here in Toledo that worked at The Vineyard, a wine shop with an excellent kitchen. The chef, Anthony, would stop at a local market on his way to the shop and pick up ingredients for what he would make that night. I became acquainted with the place when I would play there on Sat. nights with a small jazz group a friend of mine had.
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
Post edited by xsmi on

Comments

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2007
    Nob Hill in Las Vegas was one of my best meals.
    It was a sampler meal with ~21 of the chefs favorite samples served 3 at a time.
    Very nice presentation and great tasting.

Elegant and pricey but nice.

Link to Nob Hill
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2007
    I can't even remember the name of the restaurant but it was in Falls Church VA., 34 years ago. It was a NY Strip steak that seemed like it melted in my mouth. NO steak sauce as the restaurant didn't even keep any on hand. I have had great steaks since but that was the first that opened my eyes to what a great cut of meat, seasoned and grilled perfectly could taste like.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    That's funny Shack, as that reminds me of a place in town at which I had the luxury to dine. Del Frisco's was the name and the steak absolutely just dissolved in your mouth. No sauce. No condiments. Just perfect. Went to Ruth's Chris not long afterward, and it just paled in comparison.

Kind of set the bar for me.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2007
    The Green Room in Dallas Texas
    Bel Paese in York PA (Best Italian place I've found in the US-Probably 3 of my top 10 meals are from here)
    A Fish market in Anzio who went out of there way to give the Americans only their finest (we ended up with about 15 appetizers, 3 main courses, and several desserts)
    My first Iftar Buffet in the intercontenental in Jeddah
    Yil Dizlar
    A place in Florence that I can't recall the name of.
    Mikey's at Monterosso al Mare
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited July 2007
    http://birchesburlington.com/Chef.html

Charles Galvano, the Birches Restaraunt, Burlington City, NJ

have known the kid since grade school, and he has a gift. you NJ guys might want to give him a visit.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    I shouldn't have looked at those menus...mmmm.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • ohskigod
    edited July 2007
    when he comes to my house, there is an even money chance he is cooking that night. he can destroy a kitchen like no one else in the planet..lol, the end result is worth it though.

he made a balsamic vinegar syrup drizzle kind of thing for a tomato basil and mozzerella salad that blew my effing mind last time he was here. of course, my kitchen reeked of balsamic vinnegar for no less than 2 days, but again....WORTH IT!! :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2007
    Lou, having met you, I have no doubt that an excellent chef would be in your circle of friends. You are obviously a man that enjoys a good meal. ;)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    http://birchesburlington.com/Chef.html

Charles Galvano, the Birches Restaraunt, Burlington City, NJ

have known the kid since grade school, and he has a gift. you NJ guys might want to give him a visit.

The guy can cook. He can make anything taste good.
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    when he comes to my house, there is an even money chance he is cooking that night. he can destroy a kitchen like no one else in the planet..lol, the end result is worth it though.

he made a balsamic vinegar syrup drizzle kind of thing for a tomato basil and mozzerella salad that blew my effing mind last time he was here. of course, my kitchen reeked of balsamic vinnegar for no less than 2 days, but again....WORTH IT!! :D

Have Mercy!!:D
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited July 2007
    Best steak I've ever had was at Club Paris in Anchorage, Ak. They serve a filet that looks like a small roast. About 3" thick and you can cut it with your fork. There is another place in town that I can't remember the name of that has the best prime rib I've had. They coat it with rock salt, melt the salt with a blow torch to form a solid shell around the rib, slow roast it, then break off the salt crust to serve. Dang, my mouth's watering just thinking about it. Guess I need to get back up there for some fishin.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2007
    Horatio's in San Leandro cooks their prime rib that way and it is awesome.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,680
    edited July 2007
    Ca. 1987 I have an unbelievable dinner at a restaurant in a hotel in San Antonio, TX. Best meal I've ever had. Nouvelle SW cuisine... but I have no idea what the name of the place was.

Stonehedge Inn in Tyngsboro, MA is a serious runner-up, although I've not been there for quite a few years. Stonehedge was the most expensive dinner (for 4) I've ever paid for, BTW.
    http://www.stonehedgeinn.com/

Another memorably good meal was at Fogo de Chao in DC (in honor of our daughter's college graduation). This is actually a small chain, but the food is incredible.

http://www.fogodechao.com/
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited July 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Another memorably good meal was at Fogo de Chao in DC (in honor of our daughter's college graduation). This is actually a small chain, but the food is incredible.

http://www.fogodechao.com/

Man's kind of place. Wife hates it. Two sons think it was built just for them.
    The two of them eating meat is kind of like watching cavemen at a fresh kill. Don't get to close.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited July 2007
    I have spent a lot of time at this restaurant.

Inexpensive for the area and a wonderful view!
    http://www.lighthousewaterfrontrestaurant.com/dinner_menu.cfm
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,680
    edited July 2007
    Man's kind of place. Wife hates it. Two sons think it was built just for them.
    The two of them eating meat is kind of like watching cavemen at a fresh kill. Don't get to close.

The Hardy Ladies liked it just fine... and I recall using silverware and even napkins. :-)
    White Castle
    :-)
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007

UMM UM Good Eats!!!:D
  • ohskigod
    edited July 2007
    I'm certainly not above a slider :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    When I'm in NYC, I like to go to "The Palm" or "Peter Luger's" steakhouses in NYC. Get a 12 ounce filet, and a 3 to 6 lb lobster at the Palm. What a place! This is what meat should taste like.:D
    Carl