scottvamp Posts: 3,277
For that price you can't go wrong. Less than i paid for my computer speakers.:D
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Having all your equipment in the same outlet is a good idea IMO (unless you have huge amps w/ massive power draw.) That way you are sure of a common ground, i.e. less likely to have ground loop issues.

As for placing the bookshelf speaker on top of the sub: if the height is good, then certainly give it a try. You might check your alternate location and compare.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited July 2007
    Options
    In my opinion, all wires should be run in the walls, from either the basement/crawl space, or attic. It's more effort, but looks much better in the end.
  • Jim Shearer
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Sona,

Sorry to be late replying, but we went off to an astronomy meeting for the weekend--lots of fun!

As to my speaker situation: No, can't get any pricey speakers in the near future. First it was a new roof, then a series of VERY expensive dental bills. :(

What I have done as consolation is to try my hand at building speakers again. Decades back, when I was a teenager, I built two pairs of speakers and an amp. Stricktly for economic reasons. I could buy something cheap or build something significantly better. Although by today's standards, they weren't all that great, at the time I had a better system than any of my friends. Now I have just finished making a pair of Metronome style speakers using 4" Fostex FE108 drivers. My first experience w/ single, full range drivers. I don't think they would rock your world, but I'm having fun.

Cheers, Jim
  • Jim Shearer
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Sona wrote: »
    2. I'm about to find out the difference between HT subs and musical subs. I haven't heard many subs, and when I think main speakers, I usually think of towers with enough panache to get the bass job done on their own. HTIB subs I have heard at big box stores sounded pleasant enough for music; perhaps they do less well with movies. Anyway, I am not liking this sub for music at this point.

Jim, hope you can enjoy your consolation speakers. I don't know what speakers will rock my world. I engaged in a discussion of finances with DH and he about choked when I mentioned 5k for speakers telling me maybe on 2 incomes...

Sona,

I'm having fun. And I can see a couple more speaker building projects in my future! I admit that my wife looks favorably on my construction projects, partly because it means that I'm not asking to spend $3K on speakers just now.

As to subs: I think for HT folks are looking for something a bit different from what music only folks want. HT needs deep, room shaking bass, while for music, I'm looking to add the last 1.5 or 2 octaves to the bottom end and blend them seamlessly w/ the main speakers.

There are those who want music to shake the room (and cause hearing loss!) Last Xmas when visiting relatives, one of my wife's cousins mentioned that he had recently purchased new speakers. Of course I weanted to hear them! Big mistake... I walked into the room & he started playing some rap music (which I can't stand) at a level that had the window in the room bulging in & out. I didn't even get to reading the logo on the speakers. They were big floor standers. And all I can say about them is that they play LOUD. Painfully loud. I fled the room. So there are substantial differences of opinion on what folks look for in a speaker and in bass performance.

Cheers, Jim
  • ajanzalone
    ajanzalone Posts: 128
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Sona,

I'm looking to add the last 1.5 or 2 octaves to the bottom end and blend them seamlessly w/ the main speakers.

Cheers, Jim

Ditto
    ...trying to find a reasonable priced sub to fill the low end of my Polk 10's

Someone said to look at the Dayton SUB-100 10"??

Any Info appreciated on Music Subs

Thanks
    Tony Anzalone
    Audio Research SP5 Preamp
    Quad 405 Amp
    Pioneer Elite DV-48AV -
    Outlaw 950 preamp/processor
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Velodyne VRP 1200 Sub Woofer

Success is having what you want ... but Happiness is wanting what you have!
  • joe.inom
    joe.inom Posts: 16
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Listen now a Dayton Audio SUB-100 is the perfect subwoofer for small to medium sized home theaters or listening rooms. A 125 watt amp, long-throw front firing 10" driver, and dual rear ports produce impressively deep and clean bass.
    it is not acceptable for huge places.