Ebay people. is this a scam?

millerman 3732
millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
I listed the BD player that I have for sale in the fleamarket on ebay this morning and I just received this E-mail. Is this guy for real? I'm only asking 339.99 + $22 shipping.

Question from drseaside
drseaside( 0)
Positive feedback: 0%
Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: Samsung BDP-1000 Blu-ray Disc player (320135872157)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
drseaside is a potential buyer.

Dear Seller,
I just went through the listing of your item and would like

to purchase it immediately for a friend who resides abroad.I am ready

to pay 1,400.00us for it to cover shipping&Insurance charges(if you have

any doubt about my price,inform me please,i can be flexible).Please get

back to me as soon as possible with your Paypal details which is also

your registered email address with Paypal,so that payment can be

effected asap. My name is Morgan and my email is
(officially_me4@yahoo.it) or you can IM me at the same email address if

you have
any questions.And for better talk here is my adding:

YAHOO MESS:officially_me4@yahoo.it
MSN MESS:officially_me4@hotmail.com
GMAIL Mess:morganwole@gmail.com

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.
Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

Details for item number: 320135872157
Item title: Samsung BDP-1000 Blu-ray Disc player
Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320135872157&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1
End date: Friday, Jul 13, 2007 09:11:41 PDT
Casey
H/T: Epson 6500ub
Sony UBP-X800
Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
Outlaw 7125
Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
Polk RTi6
SVS PB 12 plus/2
Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
Post edited by millerman 3732 on

Comments

• Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited July 2007
    A buyer with 0 feedback overpaying for a item to ship to a friend abroad? Right there I see 4 flags: 0 feedback, overpaying, for a friend, abroad.

I would assume the way this will work is he will send you the amount and ask you to return the extra. You will send the extra to him and the unit thinking you are good to go and the account will turn up stolen or there will be a issue with the funds.

I believe if you sell for a different price then the auction is for you get no protection from ebay, not that it matters as you are not protected selling to people with 0 feedback.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2007
    Run away from that one,,when it's too good to be true,,it usually isn't .
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Forward the email to spoof@ebay.com and they will kill the account that it was sent from.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2007
    Does that remind you of the "25 acres of beautiful waterfront property" located in sunny Florida. fine print: Everglades swamp.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Tex
    Tex Posts: 189
    edited July 2007
    Yes it is a scam. The 5th red flag is when they want it done immediately or ASAP. They have probably hacked someones Paypal account and must complete the transaction before the account is blocked. You would not find out until after you have shipped the item and Paypal has taken the money back. There is a similar scam with Western Union money orders. They will overpay and want you to cash it at your bank ASAP and send the difference back to them. They get the cash and the merchandise while you get a bogus money order. Stay away from this one.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited July 2007
    Scam!!!!!! Dont even email him back to call him a loser IT can cost you dearly. For $1000. more than your asking for shipping and insurance you could ship to the moon lol.

Regards Snow
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Gaara
    edited July 2007
    Good call Tex, I totally missed the ASAP bit. 5 big red flags.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited July 2007
    Scam
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    SCAM, 0% feedback/transactions tells the quick story.
  • millerman 3732
    edited July 2007
    What the hell man I just got this email from someone else.

Question from kiwiklever000
    kiwiklever000( 0)

kiwiklever000 is a potential buyer.

would u be willing to ship this to another address besides mine? thanks for your time
    Casey
    Sony UBP-X800
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

• snow
    edited July 2007
    What the hell man I just got this email from someone else.

Question from kiwiklever000
    kiwiklever000( 0)

kiwiklever000 is a potential buyer.

would u be willing to ship this to another address besides mine? thanks for your time
    Dont even respond Its a phishing scam to get your email.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • millerman 3732
    edited July 2007
    Does this always happen when you list on ebay?
    Casey
    Sony UBP-X800
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited July 2007
    Add to that the fact that the guy is willing to overpay for an item from a seller who has had ZERO transactions on ebay....heck, "I" would be worried buying for you on ebay!

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • snow
    edited July 2007
    Does this always happen when you list on ebay?
    No not always. It seems to me that it kind of depends on what your selling and how valuable it is depends on how many and what type of scammers you get. I think for me its maybe 1 out of 15 listings or so for me.

REGARDS SNOW
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2007
    I have never had it happen to me, but I see fradulent listings all the time. Good call.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • millerman 3732
    edited July 2007
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Add to that the fact that the guy is willing to overpay for an item from a seller who has had ZERO transactions on ebay....heck, "I" would be worried buying for you on ebay!

Joe
    Come on I'm a good guy, I wouldn't do ya wrong. :cool:
    Casey
    Sony UBP-X800
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2007
    Have to agree. I would not buy from a zero feedback seller. Anything below 99% has me looking the other way.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited July 2007
    Saw a California Audio Labs tube DAC. He has it listed as an "ALFA"
    rather than an "Alpha" . User hasn't had a transaction in 6 years. Now he has three older high end audio devices listed. I sent a message to get the serial number.
    We'll see where the bear poops soon enough.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited July 2007
    I have had two listings on Audiogon and received scam offers on both. In both cases, the language in the offers was "off." Not standard English terms or phrasing. Each has asked for my best offer, asked a lot of questions, which I did not answer, and then said they wanted to buy. Anyone else with this experience on the A-gon? Do they expect you to ship without a check clearing? Or make a phoney Paypal payment?
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    I have had two listings on Audiogon and received scam offers on both. In both cases, the language in the offers was "off." Not standard English terms or phrasing. Each has asked for my best offer, asked a lot of questions, which I did not answer, and then said they wanted to buy. Anyone else with this experience on the A-gon? Do they expect you to ship without a check clearing? Or make a phoney Paypal payment?

I have had this from Audiogon also. The guys refused to give me an address and said he would have his 'shipper' pick them up and where to send the payment. I told hime to take a long walk off of a short pier.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Gaara
    edited July 2007
    I have had the opposite issue, I have been sending emails to sellers and they refuse to respond back. For a few months I was looking to get some Omega high-eff speakers. 3 different sellers and 5 emails with offers to buy at listed price and I still don't have a pair.
  • sucks2beme
    edited July 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    I have had the opposite issue, I have been sending emails to sellers and they refuse to respond back. For a few months I was looking to get some Omega high-eff speakers. 3 different sellers and 5 emails with offers to buy at listed price and I still don't have a pair.

This is killing off online sales.
    Everyone is too afraid to respond. I get all sorts of weird emails anytime I bid
    on EBAY. About 75% of the time I get no response to questions.
    I always ask some kind of question if I suspect an item of not being legit.
    "Local Pickup Available?" will tell you fast if its a scammer. If they say yes,
    its a real seller. No response will raise a red flag. If they say no, then its a coin toss.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2007
    Here's another flag...look at his e-mail addy's. They can all be aquired without a paid account.
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited July 2007
    I have had this from Audiogon also. The guys refused to give me an address and said he would have his 'shipper' pick them up and where to send the payment. I told hime to take a long walk off of a short pier.

The following came in today from an A-gon item I have listed (the 901 area code he gives is in Memphis area, not Arkansas):

"I got your response on your displayed item and I agreed with the condition of the item available with you,I wish to let you know that I am located in( AR) and i want to know the final price so that i can make available the payment to you immediately, I ought to come and have a look at it but I am
    presently out of the state to ALASKA for an important seminar.Here is how the deal would go.
    My option of making payment to you will be only by company's check and certified check in dollars, because that is the only convenient means for me. Concerning the shipment,my shipper will be at your place for the pick up after you receive the payment and when it clears .
    I would have been present to see the item for myself but i dont have the chance cause i am handling some important seminar, I will add their shipping charges to the payment i will send to you due to their policy, so when you get payment you just deduct your charges and take $70 for ur self of run around and send the rest fund to my shipper via Western union money Transfer inorder for them to come for the pick up from your location.
    Here is my info my address with my phone number as well.
    901-248-6423
    3075 Zack Ridge Rd.,
    Marshall,Ar. 7265
    N"B
    pls make sure you reply back to my personal emaill address; kim_abott@yahoo.com
    The method of payment is only by usa Certified Cheque.
    FULL NAME:
    ADDRESS:
    CITY:
    ZIPCODE:
    STATE:
    TEL PHONE: MOBILE;
    Sincerely yours,
    Mr. Kim John"
  • Gaara
    edited July 2007
    Bad english and overpay scams, gotta love it.

Sucks,

I don't get it. The sellers all had 50+ feedback ratings on Agon and I have a rating of 54 right now. Very weird.
  • sucks2beme
    edited July 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    Bad english and overpay scams, gotta love it.

Sucks,

I don't get it. The sellers all had 50+ feedback ratings on Agon and I have a rating of 54 right now. Very weird.

Someone is hooking people with those phishing schemes and using their accounts. Feedback becomes useless when its someone else behind the curtain. Every time I bid on EBAY now, I get a ton of useless emails with second chances, inquiries for non existing listings, ETC.
    I guess I'll stick to the Flea Market.
  • sucks2beme
    edited July 2007
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320134956068&ssPageName=ADME:L:DBS:US:11
    This guy had a listing on Audiogon for the same thing with a -1 feedback.
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1188794513
    This is his response when I asked if it was his:
    Quote:
    sorry, did not know it was on audiogon, a misunderstanding
    between my partner & me. We were gonna sell item & I thought e-
    bay was the way to go. he put on audiogon & this is first i heard of
    it. have marked as sold & sorry for any confusion. :end quote

Kinda makes a guy think twice about bidding.:eek:
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    I've had over 30 transactions on Audiogon and not a hint of a scammer.
    I wouldn't let a little broken English sink a sale if that is the only red flag. I sold a preamp to someone who had just move here from China. Initial correspondence was difficult, so I asked for his telephone number. Talked to him as best I could and the deal went down. Smooth as silk.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore