SDA 2b's need tweeters

Options
Davidv
Davidv Posts: 94
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I just bought a pair of SDA 2b's and one of the tweeters is out does anyone have a replacement or what tweeters do I order as a replacement?

I am also wondering if anyone has heard of monitor 9's. I just picked up a pair of these as well.

thanks,
David
Beer on tap is great, until the keg runs dry and the liqour store is closed!:D

Post edited by Davidv on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Call Polk Customer Service at 1-800-377-7655 and order two RD0194-1 tweeters. Mention that you are a Club Polk member to receive the discounted price of $48.00 each with free shipping. While you're at it ask them to send you two new polyswicthes, they are free.

The Model 9's are a somewhat rare breed, but not all that sound worthy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Edit: I hate typing a response to find out I posted 1-3 minutes after they did!

Welcome to the SDA owners circle! Congrats on the purchases!

Did you get the interconnect cable with the SDA-2bs?
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Davidv
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the info F1. What are the polyswitches for? Or will I know when I see them?

Yes, I did get the interconnect as well. The only bad thing about these speakers is that the cabinets are pretty banged up. The guy I bought them from had been using them in his garage.

Thank you both.

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Davidv wrote: »
    Thanks for the info F1. What are the polyswitches for? Or will I know when I see them?

Yes, I did get the interconnect as well. The only bad thing about these speakers is that the cabinets are pretty banged up. The guy I bought them from had been using them in his garage.

Thank you both.

The polyswitches are used in line with the tweeters to prevent distortion from blowing them up. Essentially, if a signal is sent to the tweeters and it steps over the threshold of the polyswitches, the polyswitches cut off all juice going to the tweeters. It takes a little while for the switches to cool down again and allow the signal to pass through.

Problem with them is that after 15 odd years, they begin to fail, and stop working. I havn't needed to replace mine yet, but it's something to look at.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Davidv
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I got the new tweeters, and the polyswitches, I replaced them and have found that the right channel's tweeter and the 8 on the left do not work. I only get sound out of the 8" driver on the left side of the cabinet. What do I need now? A new board? Please help.

Thanks again. The new tweeter sounds excellent on the left. thanks F1

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited August 2007
    Options
    You're welcome.

The drivers are 6.5 inch, just so you know. Try swapping drivers and tweeters between the speakers to see if the problem follows the driver/tweeter or stays with the right channel speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Davidv
    edited August 2007
    Options
    thanks, I will have to try that this weekend.

I think that the 8 comment was just wishful thinking, I didn't even think about it until you said anything. Good catch.

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2007
    Options
    do you have the interconnect cable hooked up to your SDA 2B's?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: