Replacing speaker post on 3.1TL's

Options
engtaz
engtaz Posts: 7,654
edited July 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Looking for suggestions for what to replace the original speaker post with. Also will the new speaker post fit in the same hole and will the speaker wire lugs fit on them?

Thanks
engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
Post edited by engtaz on

Comments

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited July 2007
    Options
    F1 did a write up on his 2.3's. I don't know if they're exactly the same, but it's a good start at the very least!

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12054
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Here are some pics of the Cardas post upgrades I did on my 1.2 TLs.

A word of caution here; the shape of the Cardas mounts are like an oval with flat sides. The holes need to be drilled out, then you will need to file the backplate to the right shape.

The Cardas posts are of excellant quality and very heavy and massive. These DO NOT have color coding. Jesse took some pinstriping and applied it to each post.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Just a side note Roy, I don't know if the cost of the Cardas posts reveal the same in ratio to improvement in sound quality. However, I just couldnt' resist the quality, feel and look of them. I know for a fact now that I am getting very solid connection with these posts. . . I didn't have that confidence in the stock posts. . . quite the contrary, I didn't feel the stock post had a good electrical connection.
  • woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Is that new wire as well?
  • engtaz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Joe,.
    Those look just like the 3.1's post setup. I see you just cut the lugs off the wires and soldered them on. Which set of post is better? ie Vampire, Cardas, etc...
    engtaz

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2007
    Options
    you could always try Vampire BP-Hex,but you will have to enlarge the holes to accomodate them.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    Options
    woofiepaws wrote: »
    Is that new wire as well?

No, believe it or not the internal wire is a very heavy guage and held up pretty well over the years.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Joe,.
    Those look just like the 3.1's post setup. I see you just cut the lugs off and soldered them on. Is on set of post better then the next? ie Vampire, Cardas, etc...

Yes we cut the lugs off and soldered them. You have to be careful here because when you heat the posts, they get really hot and because of the mass, stay very hot and can melt the backplate therefore, when doing the soldering to the posts, it needs to be done rather quickly.

As far as one manufacturer's post being better than another, it is a preference; there are some here that love Vampire. I use vampire for bananas and spades but I prefer the Cardas posts. However the Cardas are expensive. I got a discount on the 10 Cardas posts & 10 delrin seats. I believe it was $160.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Do the 3.1TL's have two sets of binding posts? For some reason I always thought they only had one set.

Anyway, adding to Joe's excellent posts and nice pics. When soldering the wires to the posts, run the wire thru the hole and solder it to the post without the post mounted in the hole. This will prevent the HOT post from melting the plastic binding post plate. Also, make sure you have the washer and nut on wire before soldering the wire to the post or you'll have to do it all over.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• engtaz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the info F1nut and yes they look just like his photos.
    engtaz

• F1nut
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I'll have to remember that.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• engtaz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Where did ya'll (a little southern for flavor) buy the Vampire post and the Cardas (???model CCGG or CCGR) post?
    engtaz

• F1nut
    edited July 2007
    Options

President of Club Polk