want to buy a whole set..have no clue where to start:/

mxracer0
mxracer0 Posts: 7
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am most likely getting a car tom. (mitsubishi galant 1999) and i want to get a good stereo system for it. nothing too top of the line, but something that has really good bass and pretty clear quality. i just dont know what i need?
i know that there are subwoofers and amplifiers and then speakers. im just lost. so any help would be appreciated. i dont know how much any of this is but i want to try to stay below 400$..500 tops i guess.
Post edited by mxracer0 on

Comments

• dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited July 2007
    Well, the first question to ask you would be if you are willing to learn and install the system yourself or if you will be having a shop do it.
  • mxracer0
    edited July 2007
    i would definately try to install it myself! i dont know how but i could get some friends that might know to help. or read up on things.
  • dohcmark8
    edited July 2007
    I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in, but for now...

I'd start with finding a head unit you like that has all the features you want. Goto Crutchfield or Cardomain and use the fit guides to tell you which head units will fit. Ideally something with at least two sets of preamp outputs.

Pioneer, Alpine, Panasonic, Kenwood, and Eclipse are good brands to stick with as far as head units go.
  • mxracer0
    edited July 2007
    what about after the head unit?? what would be next/along with the other things? like how much would i have to spend (including head unit) for a clear quality LOUD bass system?
    could someone almost list down what would be good options for each thing? as in the name of a head unit and the inch diameter of a subwoofer and that name and all the other things? sorry if its bossy haha, but if anyone can help please do.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    Youre not going to find a decent system for $500 unless you drop something
    4 speakers, radio, sub system and amp isnt going to be worth a **** if you get it all for $500

Heres a nice little set up, i dont have time to add it all up but it would certainly give you some great sound.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLGTO6011II
    2) http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB104
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB650
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB691
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIODEHP3900MP

You'll need a dual 10" SEALED box, pick one up from a local shop as well as a 4awg kit preferably, you can get by with an 8awg kit though. As well as the installation parts for your radio.

This is setup is based on if you have 6.5" speakers in the front and 6x9s in the back.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2007
    You can do 4 speakers, a head unit, an amp, and 1 sub for 500 bucks. But you'll need someone experienced to pick out all the equipment at bargain basement prices and know what's good and what's not.

I'm too lazy to do that.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • dohcmark8
    edited July 2007
    With that kind of budget. I'd run speakers off HU power and just get an amp for your sub.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2007
    That's the general idea, get a 20 x 4 rms head unit with built in x-over, 4 efficient speakers, a 250 watt amp and a 10" sub.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jack from Indo
    Jack from Indo Posts: 109
    edited July 2007
    To give you some perspective:

Most of the guys here on this forum have invested at least thousand dollars and up in their system, and some much more than that. I'm at around 2.5k That doesn't mean you can't put something together for less than that though, but honestly, $500 is going to be tough, unless perhaps the car your getting already has something you can use like a good enough HU for now.

Are you going to want to entertain your back seat passengers? Often? Are you sure? If you are, you want 4 speakers. But if your not, then you are going to get a better sound by saving that money to get better front speakers, no rears at all, (yes you read that right) and one sub.

In fact, the above is the configuration of most (not all) of us here, and for very good sound quality reasons, not because we're trying to save money. And if you go to an SQ (sound quality) car audio competition somewhere, you will see that most people run this exact set up. That's right, no rear speakers, and one sub only. And yep, unless your trying to irritate the entire neighborhood, don't worry, trust me, it WILL be frickin loud.

For such a configuration you will need

1. A head unit

2. Front speakers, preferably a good set of "split", or "component" speakers which just means that the tweaters are a separate little speaker which you install in it's own little location, normally higher up in the cab from the bigger midbass speakers.

3. A sub. 10 inch is generally seen as the smallest size that will get you great sound, but 8" can also be reasonably good, and is certainly better than nothing. The 8" will not necessarily be cheaper though.

4. An amplifier that has at least 4 channels and enough power to run everything. You want a bare minimum of 75 watts RMS per channel, for most situations. (do your homework and learn the difference between the **** con "this killer amp puts out 300 watts per channel for only $45!" and the REAL way to measure power, which is RMS. There are plenty of places on the net to learn all you need to know)

I will leave you with a thought:

How important is music in your life? I'm always astonished at the number of people who say "very!", but then spend the least amount of money possible on their home stereo, or car system, compared to the money they spend on things not nearly as important. (Like furniture, food, education, weekend trips for the girlfriend:p)

No disrespect meant by that, BTW. I realize that this $500 may indeed be your real absolute limit, and if so, do the best you can with that. In time, I, (and everybody else here I'm sure) hopes you prosper enough to upgrade.
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited July 2007
    it sounds to me like you want something LOUD and that does not sound bad. so i thing some momo or db coaxes in the front and a 10" or 12" sub in the back with a HU.

there are lots of people at my high school who put a sub in there car and dont care how loud anything els is just that there sub shakes the crap out of the car next to then. you cant here the music and the base is distorted but it is LOUD. and this wouldn't cost much, but those people get no respect from me and my guess is they wouldn't from most people who understand what music is sapost to sound like.

if this is you then get a $100 HU
    rl-p12 from soundsplinter.com
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HiFonics-Nemesis-NX750D-750-Watt-Class-D-Car-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ140134851694QQihZ004QQcategoryZ64570QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    a ported box as close as possible to soundsplinters specs.

might be a little over 500 tho

edit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-HIFONICS-BXI1206D-1200w-MONO-CAR-STEREO-AMP-BX1205D_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38638QQihZ017QQitemZ270138642654QQrdZ1
    if 500is not a absolute max then look at this...^

keep in mind that you will have to run wire back to the amp and something els will show up that needs money so dont spend it all on parts and then be screwed when ur broke and forgot something small
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT