speaker placement and height? whats optimal

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited September 2002 in Speakers
Ok i am new here and have some questions about speaker placement for my HT setup, first off let me tell you what i have and the size room im working with, Also i have" fooled" with the Ht stuff for the last 5-6 years or longer but always have questions. I have a Integra DTR7.1 receiver w/RTi70's mains,CSi30 center,RT15's for rears, and my old Infinity sterling center speaker for the center rear, I also just purchased a used Onkyo M-504 amp and Bi-wired the 70's on the front mains. My room is i think 10x12 with about a 10 foot ceiling i guess(never measured) My rears are basically ear level and it seems to me they cant always be heard well and i thought i read they should be higher then what i have? Where should they be placed? I have them on the side walls now and about tad over 4 feet up the wall, and also should the center rear match highth? Thanks for any and all help and suggestions, Also i just got the RTI 70's and already am thinking tax time for the LSI15's But i don't know.
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Hey, welcome to the Polk Club! Not a bad set up. You just bought the Onkyo M-504. I am so jealous. That is one bad **** power amp. How much did u get it for and what do u think of it? I would love to have this amp when I go to my rti150's.
    I would consider using that 7.1 with the 15's in the rear and some fx's (500's) on the sides.
    But with current setup, side ear level is good. Should be directly to the sides of listen area. If u feel they are not loud enough just crank up the db in the reciever on the surrounds. To me that is the easyest fix. As for as the center goes should try to be same level as mains in height.:)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I bought it used for $250.00, I seen it on e-bay and just happened to be a local seller and i asked what he would take outright and he said $250.00 cash, I grabbed it with no thought, as these generally go for 450 -600 on e-bay anyways. The rears are set to full db, as are all the speakers. maybe i should lower the fronts? Oh i also forgot i have a JBL psw1200 subwoofer connected through the sub pre out on the receiver, Ok any more suggestions are happily taken, Thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Yeah you should definitely lower the levels of the other speakers.....there really isn't any point in raising them all to max dB on the receiver. You should probably consider getting a calibrating DVD and SPL meter to get everthing balanced out correctly. After you get your levels adjusted, you should be good to go.