Newbie Questions

greg2350
greg2350 Posts: 544
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
This is my first post to this forum I have been reading here for several months.

I have a few questions I have caught the car audio bug after not having a decent system for 10 yrs.A little background I am not new to polk audio I have been using there home for a few years just new to polk's car audio.My home system I am currently using the LSI 25's powered by a Denon reciever and the PSW505 for the sub.

Here is a list of the items I have purchased.By the way highly recommend sonicelectronix.com good experience great prices.

Kenwood excelon DPX701 HU $299.99
1 C400.4 $299.99
1 C500.1 $299.99
2 SR 124-DVC $519.98
SR 6500 $499.99
Scoshce wire kit $74.99
1.8 farad cap $44.99

I have a few questions on the installation my car is a 91 acura legend my back seats do not fold down.
1. should I face the subs toward the back of the car or toward the back seat?
2. I didnt realize until I recieved my equipment that I ordered the dual voice coil subs can I wire both of these subs to the single C500.1 to get a 2 ohm load or will I need to purchase a second C500.1
3. If I cant get a 2 ohm load on the single C500.1 with the 2 DVC's will this be enough in a 4 ohm config considering my back seats dont fold down.I want to be able to feel the bass.

Thanks for any responses love this forum love polk audio.:)
TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
AVR: Denon 3801
DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
Sat: Directtv HD 10
Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
Post edited by greg2350 on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited July 2007
    greg2350 wrote: »
    This is my first post to this forum I have been reading here for several months.

I have a few questions I have caught the car audio bug after not having a decent system for 10 yrs.A little background I am not new to polk audio I have been using there home for a few years just new to polk's car audio.My home system I am currently using the LSI 25's powered by a Denon reciever and the PSW505 for the sub.

Here is a list of the items I have purchased.

Kenwood excelon DPX701 HU $299.99
    1 C400.4 $299.99
    1 C500.1 $299.99
    2 SR 124-DVC $519.98
    SR 6500 $499.99
    Scoshce wire kit $74.99
    1.8 farad cap $44.99

I have a few questions on the installation my car is a 91 acura legend my back seats do not fold down.
    1. should I face the subs toward the back of the car or toward the back seat?
    2. I didnt realize until I recieved my equipment that I ordered the dual voice coil subs can I wire both of these subs to the single C500.1 to get a 2 ohm load or will I need to purchase a second C500.1
    3. If I cant get a 2 ohm load on the single C500.1 with the 2 DVC's will this be enough in a 4 ohm config considering my back seats dont fold down.I want to be able to feel the bass.

Thanks for any responses love this forum love polk audio.:)

Each SR124 DVC can be wired for a 2 ohm or 8 ohm load, giving you the option to wire two of them to a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load. If it makes you feel better, had you bought the SVC versions of the subs, your 500.1 amp could reasonably be expected to deliver approximately 300 watts RMS (+/-) into each sub with the 2 ohm load...probably not enough. Powering two DVC subs wired to 4 ohms from a single 500.1 would probably put out around 210 watts RMS into each- definitely not enough. I suppose adding a second 500.1 would be a solution (provided your electrical system will support it without issues), as would swapping the 500.1 out for something 1 ohm stable that does 1200-1400 watts RMS @ 1 ohm, for optimum performance out of both subs.

Without knowing what amperage your Acura's alternator puts out, I can't say whether your (stock?) electrical system will support everything. I'd suggest trying one of your SR124 DVC subs with the 500.1 and seeing if that gives you satisfactory output first, unless upgrading the alternator is something you're willing to look into in order to properly power both subs.
    greg2350 wrote: »
    By the way highly recommend sonicelectronix.com good experience great prices.

D'oh! They're not authorized dealers for Polk car audio :o. Crutchfield and CarDomain are the only two AFIK, so buyer beware...
  • Jack from Indo
    Jack from Indo Posts: 109
    edited July 2007
    I would say definitely try just one sub first, unless you are really after SPL. But since you bought all Polk, I presume you are really after SQ, and so one sub should be plenty. It is for me, and most of my friends, and we all like our music really loud. One sub is easier to tune as well.