Onkyo Fans Rejoice! TX-SR805 Very Cool!

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited July 2007 in Electronics
I may just pick this receiver up very shortly. Very good reviews so far. At 51lbs it seems to have high current clean power. $999 at Crutchfield and Vann's for $899 (black is sold out and i do not know if they are an authorized dealer)both with no tax and Free shipping. I may simplify my system for now and put the Monster Amps aside or just use one for the my centers.
This unit seems to have it all and is a no brainer for people just getting into HT. As anyone getting into HD players.
Any thoughts/opinions? Reviews?

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR805&p=i&class=Receiver

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ib1vm5gmWTZ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&tab=detailed_info&i=580TXS805B#Input%20and%20Output%20Notes
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I wish I would have went with the 8xx series for the pre-outs.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    The 705 will have pre-outs also. But for an extra $199, 130watts should be enough power for my RT's.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited July 2007
    Options
    At some point I am planning on upgrading to Rti12s. I was thinking I was going to have to get a separate amp to let them reach their full potential. Do you think the 805 will provide enough power so that a separate amp is not necessary?
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Personally, yes, i believe you would be fine. This unit also switches to 6ohm mode to deliver even more power. That is what i will run mine at.

EDIT: Going to order it from Crutchfield on Friday. I also have a $20 coupon code. $3 for three day shipping.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Face wrote: »

Thats what I thought about my 600 about a month after buying it. I will never make that mistake again. Its also the first piece of advice I try to give out. Always buy with preouts.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Man, that thing sure looks like it has all the bells and whistles. I like the new look to the Onkyo AVRs. They've never been bad, but this is a much better visual presentation. I like the glowing knob.
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited July 2007
    Options
    This is a BEAST!

I like that it is a High current amp and that it uses a Burr Brown DAC.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Just a note of caution. I always thought that an amp section with switches for low impedance loads limited the output to protect the amp and speakers. A high current amp that can handle 6 and 4 ohm loads shouldn't have these switches. Still a nice receiver. I like that Onkyo seems to be first out of the gate with support for TrueHD and DTS-MA.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited July 2007
    Options
    My only complaint is that I wish it had more optical in's.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    My only complaint is that I wish it had more optical in's.
    Between the HDMI and the 3 coaxial it has plenty of other inputs.

Just a note of caution. I always thought that an amp section with switches for low impedance loads limited the output to protect the amp and speakers. A high current amp that can handle 6 and 4 ohm loads shouldn't have these switches. Still a nice receiver.

Its not a "switch" for say, it's a setting in the menu system. It should deliever a boost in the mid and low range. The unit may run a little warmer. I have cooling fans off my Monsters and they should work well with the 12v triggers.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Does it do multichannel audio over HDMI?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    Options
    onecall has them on order for 899. (add to cart for discount price)

The 605 processes all the new formats also:
    Onkyo TX-SR605S Silver 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver

$399.99 (add to cart to see this price)
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Does it do multichannel audio over HDMI?

Like for SACD? If their is such a thing, this unit probably does it. I know that question always comes up. I believe multichannel is an analog format. :confused:

****onecall has them on order for 899. (add to cart for discount price)****
    Is OneCall an authorized dealer? I was going to go with Crutchfield because their customer service is as good as it gets.

Another side note on these new units is they use "Push Pull" Amplification, which i believe is the technology Bob Carver created for his Sunfire line.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Onecall rocks. They actually called me up a week after I received my Onkyo TXSR700 and asked if I got everything hooked up okay.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Options
    No way in hell my wife is gonna let me upgrade the receiver for some time, but I want one :(:(:(
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    SACD and DVD-A are digital formats, but because of copy restrictions they can't be sent over optical and must usually be decoded by the player and sent out over analog interconnects. I guess what's happening is that proprietary digital connections are being replaced by hdcp enabled hdmi connections. And this onkyo appears to be hdcp compliant and hdmi 1.3a to boot.
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    scottvamp wrote: »
    Its not a "switch" for say, it's a setting in the menu system. It should deliever a boost in the mid and low range. The unit may run a little warmer. I have cooling fans off my Monsters and they should work well with the 12v triggers.

This comes from the manual:

You can connect speakers with an impedance of
    between 4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the
    connected speakers is 4 ohms or more but less than 6,
    be sure to set the speaker impedance to 4 ohms (see
    page 45). If you use speakers with a lower impedance,
    and use the amplifier at high volume levels for a long
    period of time, the built-in amp protection circuit may
    be activated.

Doesn't sound like the amp section is full power 4 ohm stable. So that's why they have the extra menu setting to limit the output into 4 ohms. Very few receivers can handle 4 ohm loads well. So nothing against the onkyo, but your monster amps are much better amplification than this receiver can produce. ;)
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Most receivers don't run at 4 ohms. Its pretty much a given. Running 4 ohms your probably using hi-end speakers and should have a separate amp. I have 8ohms speakers. But like i said the 6 ohms gives a good boost to the mid and low range. This receiver is a great value and is defiantly setting a new benchmark. I need to figure out the best way to run my dual centers. I may keep one of the Monsters in play. I should keep the Monsters for a speaker up grade one day.
    Going to Vegas this weekend, i may pick my Onk up their.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I just read this on Aufioholics.com

http://www.audioholics.com/education/frequently-asked-questions/connecting-4-ohm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier

"NOTE: Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. DON'T USE THEM! The manufacturer puts them there for UL approvals as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity. Keep the switch set for 8 ohms regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver."
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2007
    Options
    It's 4 ohm stable and the switch is pointless. The Onkyo WRAT is very similar to the NAD Power Envelope in how it produces dynamic power. I hope they come out with an updated model along the NR1000 lines. I prefer the modular idea for future upgrades over simple firmware.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Silverti wrote: »

OK, so after reading this from the link above, now I'm even more confused:

Although a particular loudspeaker may be rated for 4 ohms (nom), it may actually provide a more stable load for an amp to drive than another speaker rated at 8 ohms. This has to do with the inductive reactance nature of loudspeaker systems. A speakers impedance varies as a function of frequency. An improperly designed loudspeaker may have nasty impedance dips at certain frequencies. This may potentially drive an amp into oscillation if it becomes too problematic. A well designed 4 ohm speaker system will usually present a more ideal load to an amp than a poorly designed 8 ohm speaker.

I have a 4 ohm center channel and 6 ohm surrounds. How do I determine if my speakers are designed to provide a stable load for my receiver?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I hope they come out with an updated model along the NR1000 lines. I prefer the modular idea for future upgrades over simple firmware.
    I remember that being a pricey flagship unit and because of the price, most agree to go with separates at that price point. Never heard to much other than a couple small firmware upgrades in the first year.

Silverti, good research. We Polkies in the know have ALWAYS given that advice. If you need to run 4 ohms, go with separates. Their are always a few exceptions but no much starting at double the price of this unit. The Polk RT line are very efficient speakers but can crave clean power as i have noticed with my Monster Amps. LSi is a whole other creature. Of course i did read a review with someone owning LSi's and were very happy with the 805 over their previous Denon.
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    OK, so after reading this from the link above, now I'm even more confused:
    I have a 4 ohm center channel and 6 ohm surrounds. How do I determine if my speakers are designed to provide a stable load for my receiver?
    Having a quality low ohm amplifier, will come into play. The bottom line is you have mismatched speakers. Therefore producing different loads to the channels of your amplifier. It could possibly have a negative sound quality or stress to the amp. I have always ran RT's all around. 10 - 1" tweeters and 12 - 6.5 drivers all 8 ohm Polks RT speakers. Even in the 3 channel bedroom setup are all 8 ohm Polk RT's even thought the center channel is smaller.
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Onecall rocks. They actually called me up a week after I received my Onkyo TXSR700 and asked if I got everything hooked up okay.
    Thanks, they are already on BackOrder!:eek:
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited July 2007
    Options
    scottvamp,
    Look into similar units from Denon, Rotel, Outlaw, and others and pick what best for you. At that price you have choices. I have owned Onkyo before so I am not putting Onkyo down, just at that price you have choices.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    Options
    scottvamp wrote: »
    Having a quality low ohm amplifier, will come into play. The bottom line is you have mismatched speakers. Therefore producing different loads to the channels of your amplifier. It could possibly have a negative sound quality or stress to the amp.

I figured it would be OK with a 5.1 setup since I don't run my fronts from the receiver, so it's not working too hard. Is this correct?

Nevertheless, the whole point of what I quoted was that some 4 ohm speakers may be an easier load on the receiver than an 8 ohm speaker, so WTF?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    scottvamp,
    Look into similar units from Denon, Rotel, Outlaw, and others and pick what best for you. At that price you have choices. I have owned Onkyo before so I am not putting Onkyo down, just at that price you have choices.

But even the new Denon units that decode TrueHD and DTS-MA aren't released yet. Not much choice in any price range for an hdmi 1.3 compatible receiver that decodes the advanced codecs...you can't even get players that decode DTS-MA...
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2007
    Options
    You don't need a TruHD receiver to enjoy TruHD, as long as the player can decode it, the receiver can receive it via HDMI.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    cheddar wrote: »
    But even the new Denon units that decode TrueHD and DTS-MA aren't released yet. Not much choice in any price range for an hdmi 1.3 compatible receiver that decodes the advanced codecs...you can't even get players that decode DTS-MA...
    Thanks Cheddar, that is what i am now reading about. But in retrospect DTS HD and MA are technically the same thing. I'm reading that the PS3 will only output HD audio PCM not bitstream. Do you know if this firmware is in the works? The PCM output will give you the full uncompressed sound track but neither unit will display the DolbyTrueHD "logo". I did not know about any of this was going on.

scottvamp,

engtaz, thanks for the input! Onkyo is the first to put the ball through the hoop. Being an Onkyo fan, i have no issue buying from them.
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Nothing............, i want to make a decision in the next couple days. No HD audio bitstream on the PS3.Onkyo has the 806 coming out in the fall. Guess i can hold off for now. Have to put up with my current setup.:rolleyes: :D