Suggestion w/ RT2000P

Options
rgan
rgan Posts: 10
edited September 2002 in Speakers
Can any Audiophile out there give me some advice?

I've been very interested in upgrading my system to the Polk LSi series so I went to demo at a local store after work today. When I get there, the store manager told me that they were all out of Lsi15 so I only got to demo the Lsi9 which I had to say they're very impressive in many ways. The high/mid were clean and clear and the bass was very solid for speakers that size. Then I come across the RT2000P in the store that is selling for $600, and I was confused. I was standing there thinking that I can spend $600 in upgrading my front and keep my current center (cs400i) and surround (FX500i) which I am quite happy with versus spending thousands of $ for the new LSi line. I know there have been many posts regarding the comparisons between the RT and LSi out there so I kind of know the pro and cons. However, the thing I don't know is the RT2000P and how's it different with RT2000i. I couldn't find too many reviews on the net and the spec of these two speakers were very much similar beside the RT2000P has been discontinued (was I correct?). My real question is that if this bargain is worth taking on or should I just save up my money for the LSi upgrade. Also, music is more important then HT for me so…

I am a newbie in the audio world and I would really appreciate any of your advice. Thanks in advance. :)
Post edited by rgan on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Personally I found the 2000's way too heavy on bass, to the point of overwhelming the mid and tweeter.
    The result being less definition than I care for.
    There are some here who swear they love them.
    I would have liked to have gotten them, simply because of
    their size, but ended up getting the 1000's and 800's because of their sound.

If these two speakers are the only possibilities,
    save and get the LSi series.

-Luc
  • rgan
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Luc, thanks for your advice!

I know the LSi is what I would really prefer but just don't know if the different is worth the price to pay.

Now, I can finally have a good night sleep and start dreaming about my LSi. =) Thanks.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I definitely agree, the LSi line is worth it. :)
  • rgan
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input.

ATCVenom,

As for the receiver, I have an old pioneer and is thinking of (must) upgrading it. (That's why I thought I might be able to save on the front but all of you'd convinced me.) Right now what I have in mind is the Denon 4802, Yamaha RXV3200 or YamahaRXZ1. Any suggestion of what will be better with the LSi? I am not familiar with seperates but I am willing to learn, however the problem being that I don't think my families will.
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    Options
    rgan,

I agree with ATCVenom, since you plan on upgrading your receiver
    anyway, get a amp & preamp first, and if you don't have some get some good quality wire. You will enjoy those RT2000's much
    more. Take some time and listen to them, then, if and when you go LSi you'll have the electronics they'll need. My RT1000's really
    opened up when I got my TFM-35x power amp.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    You can get a great amp and pre-amp for a total of $500.00 that would MORE then please you.

I'm REALLY curious what kind of amp and pre set up you can get for $500.........details.......please.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Options
    The RT2000i's sport passive woofers.

No....they are powered...
    And purchased a Carver M200t pre-amp for $245.00

The M200t is a power amp....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2002
    Options
    i dont see how going past the 800 will give geter mids and highs all you will get is more bass exept for the 3000 if i want more bass i just will get more subs
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2002
    Options
    i think the differance between the 2 is the i has a blue colored cone and how they quote the power in the amps and that is olny in the powered ones 2000 and 1000 series
  • Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Yeah and I thought the crossovers and tweeters were slightly different as well.