Few things - ;)

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright, I already asked this once - but now I have pictures :)

Just a general ball park of how much it should cost to get my Fender fixed...

:)

And I put in a new truck bed liner instead of that slide in kind..

Still need another coat on the bottom/tailgate/fender wells
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    I bought a fender for my 84 F250 and it only cost me $60. Look around. You shouldn't have to pay more than $90.
    Happy hunting
    Ben
    BTW nice truck
    I really miss mine!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    Thanks...

I know a new Fender dosnt cost much...

Getting one painted to match a 1991 paint job is though ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    That is still the cleanest '91 Ford I've ever seen.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    Thanks Russ :)

Kind of funny... I really like my truck when its cleaned up like this -- then it gets dirty and I start browsing the Toyota website...

Its an up and down battle... lol
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited July 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    That is still the cleanest '91 Ford I've ever seen.

I would have to agree, most of those are all kinds of f'd up by now...
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited July 2007
    Really nice truck! It makes my 2000 jealous. :p
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    lol... Thanks

Any rough estimate on repairs though?

lol
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    This is a quote from a local auto body shop who is known to do great work... which is the kind of work I want done..

He quoted me like 1050 ---

That is for a new panel. He called a local junk yard via 2 way -- a panel for my truck was 150 from a junk yard ---

And even if I do find a panel for 60-90 bucks.. I got a feeling the prep work - sanding it down - so on and so forth, would bring it back up to cost with a new panel anyways.... A new aftermarket panel is around 170...

So does this sound reasonable for what should be a job that you would in the end would not know something had happened at all?
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited July 2007
    Well, paying a grand to repair a fender on that truck? Only if you really love it and plan to keep it for a long time. If you sell it right after fixing it, it would be lost money.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    Well I'm not paying for it...
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2007
    I bet you can find a "back yard body shop" that will fix that for you and do a nice job for $400 max.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2007
    That is insane. Whos paying for it?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    Is there a reputable company that is nation wide that does auto body repair that is more reasonable?

My sister hit my truck - she's paying for it.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2007
    Did she do it with a sledge hammer or was it an accident?
    -Cody
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    She backed into my truck after it had been there 3 days - then blamed it on me because I had parked there... ;)
  • exalted512
    edited July 2007
    Honestly, that is way to high. No matter how stupid it was, it was still an accident and you shouldnt get the "I'm not paying for it so who cares?" attitude. I'm not one to preach, but **** happens. Under law, if it was in the driveway, shes not liable to pay any of the damages...so shes doing you a favor.

That truck, with 85000 miles (I guessed) in excellent condition is only worth $4300...youre wanting to pay a 1/4th of what its worth to fix a fender??? I would def. shop around a lot more, around here, something like that would cost around $500 to make it look absolutely perfect, about $300 for a job youd never notice wasnt factory unless you knew it had been redone and/or was really inspecting the car...
    -Cody
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    I dont care if it cost 200 - I just want it to look like it never happened. Thats my only real requirement...

I want a reputable shop to do it - cost is up to her really..

I'm going to get a few more quotes... chances are - I wont fix it in the end... dented fender dosnt hurt the resale value of an old truck anyways...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    I just want it to look like it never happened.

Due to the age of the truck, that may be impossible. You've got two aged paint colors to try to match or blend in. I think I'd just live with that injury.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2007
    Its a very nice truck. Definitely worthy of repair. The guy who buys this truck isn't looking for a beater truck.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited July 2007
    I'd get it fixed too. The red interior reminds me of my '88 Ranger, I loved that thing. I would expect to pay a few hundred bucks for that repair. You might see if there are any technical schools around that may be willing to help you out. They could do both the dent repair and paint for you for very cheap if anything at all. Just a thought to help keep the cost down. If the truck was a beater or not running well, I wouldn't worry about it, but as good as the rest of it looks and I'm assuming it runs just as well, get it fixed.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2007
    I would def. get it fixed as well, but paying 1/4 of the value of the truck to fix it just isnt economical.
    -Cody
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    Is there any mono amps that do 250 at 8 ohms?
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    This is a quote from a local auto body shop who is known to do great work... which is the kind of work I want done..

He quoted me like 1050 ---

That is for a new panel. He called a local junk yard via 2 way -- a panel for my truck was 150 from a junk yard ---

And even if I do find a panel for 60-90 bucks.. I got a feeling the prep work - sanding it down - so on and so forth, would bring it back up to cost with a new panel anyways.... A new aftermarket panel is around 170...

So does this sound reasonable for what should be a job that you would in the end would not know something had happened at all?

Keep looking. After market is what I was talking about. A whole fender. Not just a skin. Sand the primer a little bit, and prime again. Aftermarket primer sucks. Also check out Jeff's bronco graveyard. They might have quality AM parts.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2007
    your truck is beautiful.

i dont care what anybody says. i like old trucks. (80's, 90's). i hate ford... despise ford, but i still like your truck. that's saying a lot comin from me.

that being said... 1050 is rape for that repair.

i had similar damage on my 88, albeit like 6 or 7 years ago. but similar damage... cost me 350 to have repaired... the shop did not use a new panel, they pulled the dent out of the existing panel. why? because a lot of times, 15 year old sheetmetal has 'bent a little' here and there, and it might be more work to make a new fender fit than to simply pull out the old one.

that being said... i think if they do a pull-out / glass job, then you're looking at 500 for quality workmanship... 300 for a 'side job' from your buddy who works at a garage in his spare time.

if you go with a new fender....

here's the fender for peanuts... www.rockauto.com
    -- search for part number "FO1241122" (RH Fender 1991 Ford F150)
    -- select 'standard quality'
    -- price is $79 ... for a brand new fender, not a goddamn junkyard pull that's all bent to hell.

Now, body shop guy doesn't just have to paint it.... if it was straight up paint and put it on, 250 plus the part... but you've got moulding, and trim pieces and ****... all of that has to be drilled into the new panel.

I would say, 79 for the part, and when you're all said and done, it should be no more than 400 for a dude to give it metal prep (etching primer, epoxy, primer), 2 x base coat, 1x tu-tone, 2 x clear coat, drill and attach all your trim, mount the fender after cutting off the old one (he'll likely need new hardware - bolts, **** like that). so 479, call it 500 total + tax.

any more than 5 and u're gettin u're balls busted. and i know **** paint. i've dealt with more goddamn body work in the last 5 years than anybody else who doesn't regularly drive drunk.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Keep looking. After market is what I was talking about. A whole fender. Not just a skin. Sand the primer a little bit, and prime again. Aftermarket primer sucks. Also check out Jeff's bronco graveyard. They might have quality AM parts.

Fender skin?

Who makes a fender skin?

I've dealt with door skins, but fenders are just fenders. There is no inner panel. The 'wheel well liner' -- also called 'inner fender' -- is not a part of any fender. It is a completely different animal. I would not reccomend buying a wheel well unless....

a) yours is SHREDDED TO HELL

or

b) you're restoring the truck / want to keep it 1 million years / want your babies to be born in it

otherwise... take it out, pound it out with a sledge till its 'sorta about pretty damn straight', sand it down with some 80 grit body panel paper (3M sandblaster brand works great) and then shoot it with some of that truck bedliner **** that youv'e been using in the bed. that stuff is fantastic. well, obviously primer first... then blast it with the bedliner. if you want both of them to match, sure, no problem... spent 5 more bucks and bedliner-spray the other wheel well while it's still in the truck... just mask it off so you dont spray the motor or the tire, and spray away... (obviously clean it first with prep-sol and scuff it up a little bit so it'll take the bedliner).

just get that fender fixed.... to hell with the wheel well ... do that yourself.... it's a days work, a whole days work (unmounting, fixing, painting, remounting), but it's like $30 worth of materials and it'll look fine.

****, my 88 that i'm restoring (another 88... i sold the first one, and got one that looked like it a few years later)... i had the body off and before i put it back on, i sprayed frame and the bottom of the body with bedliner. then i did the firewall and the wheel wells (top and bottom) with bedliner. i love the way it looks. the truck wont be painted for 10 damn years prolly... but i'm keeping the 'bedliner underhood area' the way it is even when its painted.... stuff holds up like rock.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2007
    ps --

basically, any 1000 x 1 at 2 ohms mono will do 250 at 8 ohms.
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited July 2007
    Wow. Nice truck... makes me want to fix mine up...

metruck0001.jpg

It's not too bad considering the salty Michigan winters...

For mine, I found someone to fiberglass along the bottom sides and paint it black to cover the rust. Then do a repair panel on both wheel arches and just repair the rust on the doors. Be doing this next month.

Other then that, it's a clean truck on the inside. Has a nice Duraliner bedliner.
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for all the advice and comments ----

FWIW... your truck - judging by the pictures and the way my truck is. You need a really good waxing and your truck would be similar to mine - would take about 4 or 5 good coats... however...

Just a FWIW...

Thanks though :) - I like my truck when its clean like I said - when it gets nasty and so forth, I want a new vehicle. Haha

But I am getting a tool box and another gallon of bedliner tommorow for the second coat...
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Fender skin?

Who makes a fender skin?

I've dealt with door skins, but fenders are just fenders. There is no inner panel. The 'wheel well liner' -- also called 'inner fender' -- is not a part of any fender. It is a completely different animal. I would not reccomend buying a wheel well unless....

a) yours is SHREDDED TO HELL

or

b) you're restoring the truck / want to keep it 1 million years / want your babies to be born in it

otherwise... take it out, pound it out with a sledge till its 'sorta about pretty damn straight', sand it down with some 80 grit body panel paper (3M sandblaster brand works great) and then shoot it with some of that truck bedliner **** that youv'e been using in the bed. that stuff is fantastic. well, obviously primer first... then blast it with the bedliner. if you want both of them to match, sure, no problem... spent 5 more bucks and bedliner-spray the other wheel well while it's still in the truck... just mask it off so you dont spray the motor or the tire, and spray away... (obviously clean it first with prep-sol and scuff it up a little bit so it'll take the bedliner).

just get that fender fixed.... to hell with the wheel well ... do that yourself.... it's a days work, a whole days work (unmounting, fixing, painting, remounting), but it's like $30 worth of materials and it'll look fine.

****, my 88 that i'm restoring (another 88... i sold the first one, and got one that looked like it a few years later)... i had the body off and before i put it back on, i sprayed frame and the bottom of the body with bedliner. then i did the firewall and the wheel wells (top and bottom) with bedliner. i love the way it looks. the truck wont be painted for 10 damn years prolly... but i'm keeping the 'bedliner underhood area' the way it is even when its painted.... stuff holds up like rock.

Repair panel:rolleyes:
    Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sells new steel also:rolleyes:
    Where did you see wheel well?:rolleyes:
    So typical of a Dogde owner.
    They haven't made a good dodge truck since the 70's Power Wagon.
    Dodge magnum my donkey. Dodge = bad gas millage:p :D:D:D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-34104_fender__aftermarket_right_87-91.htm
    While you are there check out Ted Nugents ride
    I have used their parts before. They don't sell crap tin foil body parts from some woo flung poo tiwaneese manufacturer.
    http://broncograveyard.com/
    My Bronco is a 68:)
    4 wheel disk brakes, detroit locked rear, posi front, braket racing 302, roller rockers, duble pumper carb, single plenum manifold, AC compressor converted to an air compressor, power steering, power brakes, 35 mudders, 7 1/2 inches of lift, built C4, gear drive transfer case, 4 core radiator, uni light distribuitor, Warn 8000# winch on a custom plate for front or rear extraction of Dodges, Leece Nevile 160 amp alternator, and vacum wipers:eek: :D:p
    Thanks
    Ben