Monsters, Inc. DVD

Options
petrym
petrym Posts: 1,912
edited September 2002 in Music & Movies
This DVD issue is fantastic: sharp, clear, exceptional color and sound. This movie doesn't get into your face and tout itself -- though the moviemakers clearly have confidence that it's a hit.

The surround channel is heavily used and rich in content. It's much better in a home theater because of the smaller volume of space. You hear much more and the use of movement really adds to what you don't see.

The subwoofer got a workout in places without being overused throughout the movie. I found it effective because some movies these days just want to rumble your house because they can. Monsters doesn't do that, and I liked it for that.

The dynamics are good. A comfortable setting lets you hear a lot, and when they want you to be surprised, it isn't so overwhelming that you hurt your ears.

There is plenty of subtlety to the visual portion of the movie. Computer animation has gotten better and the animators dedicate a lot to their craft. This movie will keep you entertained both visually and sonically. It's a good show for kids and adults; a definite buy! :D
Post edited by petrym on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Just got back from Blockbuster with my Monsters Inc. 2 disc Collectors Edition DVD collectors edition for $25 and 10 weekly rentals. Very good deal!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Options
    petrym

I wasn't sure I would watch this animated flick......I will for sure now...:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • turkeykiller
    turkeykiller Posts: 15
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Whats up with the sound f/x only channel? No words just sounds. What was the reasoning behind this?
    It takes one, to know one
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited September 2002
    Options
    13.99 @ walmart.....i thought the same thing about the sound f/x only ????? whatever floats the dvd makers boat....
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Shack, what's the deal on the free rentals?
    10 anytime? or 1 per week for 10 weeks?
    Either way it's a good deal.

Walmart is my new favorite DVD buying place,
    and $13.99 is a deal.

-Luc
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited September 2002
    Options
    turkeykiller and ntculenuff,

I haven't tried the sound f/x only channel yet -- I just played the movie right out of the box with no goofy stuff. I'll check out what that option is about.

$13.98 @ WalMart because the local ShopKo had it @ $13.99
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Whats up with the sound f/x only channel? No words just sounds. What was the reasoning behind this?
    From my understanding it was included so people can hear how important surrounds are in a theater set-up.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited September 2002
    Options
    trubluluc,

It is one free rental for ten consecutive weeks and you get Monsters INC. for free.

So either way you look at it it turns out to be a pretty good deal. We rent movies every week, so my thinking was why not?
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited September 2002
    Options
    The Monster's, Inc pre-sale card WAS a good deal but once it hit the shelves we're no longer offering the 10 week rental card and the movie for $24.99. Now, if you buy Monster's, Inc. brand new, you get a coupon for one free rental.
    -Josh
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2002
    Options
    trubluluc:

What avelanchefan said. I pre-ordered mine last week. Gave the rental card to my kids. You get the rentals for almost half price plus the movie.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Did anyone notice the use of the surround channels at the beginning? I think it was the THX robot looks out from the screen at each surround channel and you hear cows moo from that channel.... something like that. I was a little loaded when I watched it... I think it was cows.. and I think it was the THX robot... well, SOMETHING looked out of the screen around at the different channels just as the sound came from that channel.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I'll take whatever burdette has, please.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • brittan_farmer
    brittan_farmer Posts: 12
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Did you see Mike and Sulley's tube gear?
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Options
    From my understanding it was included so people can hear how important surrounds are in a theater set-up.
    Good call Ron, just fun demo stuff.
    I'll take whatever burdette has, please.
    :lol:
    On that note ----some people seem to have a more "positive" experience with picture and sound quality of a HT when they are not loaded. Something about blurred vision and distorted hearing problems.;)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2002
    Options
    The movie was fantastic!!!!!!! The wife bought it today and we watched it when I got home from work.

Burdette, the THX deal was not a halucination my friend. I had to play it about 5X over because it is so cool and my 2 year old started Mooing along with it. " What a RIOT "I also like the THX played before Toy Story 1.

Nascarmann, this film is to good to miss, What a blast, you have to see it!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2002
    Options
    shack, wodom1, avelanchefan-

I'll check it out, one way or another we'll pick a copy up.

-Luc