Nice couple of hours

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,162
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Had a chance to get together with a couple Polkies yesterday to shoot the **** and listen to some tunes. A_mattson (Aaron) finsihed his basement/hometheater room over the winter and has been wanting us to come over and see it.

Aaron, great job on the room and you've got that system dialed in pretty good and your RTi 70's sounded great. I'm glad you finally got on the "dac train" as your Entech sounded really nice. It makes a nice noticeable difference.

Myself, dkg999 (Doug) and daboyz (Dave) attended. It was nice to meet Dave and good to see Doug and Aaron again. Michelle (Aaron's wife) disappeared shortly after we got started. Too much testosterone in the room I guess :D

Dave brought over some DVD's and we watched certain high energy scenes from U-571, War of the Worlds and the gun battle from Open Range, Aaron's HT sounded fantastic :cool: I ended up bringin my LSi 9's which Doug left with and my Athena AS-B1's which Dave left with (all planned :) ). Now we just need Aaron to buy Doug's SDA 2A's and his 2 channel rig will be set :p

Once again had a great time with some solid Polkies.

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2007
    Sound's like a great time had by all. Hopefully I get to meet some of you midwest polkies someday.
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited July 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Had a chance to get together with a couple Polkies yesterday to shoot the **** and listen to some tunes. A_mattson (Aaron) finsihed his basement/hometheater room over the winter and has been wanting us to come over and see it.

Aaron, great job on the room and you've got that system dialed in pretty good and your RTi 70's sounded great. I'm glad you finally got on the "dac train" as your Entech sounded really nice. It makes a nice noticeable difference.

Myself, dkg999 (Doug) and daboyz (Dave) attended. It was nice to meet Dave and good to see Doug and Aaron again. Michelle (Aaron's wife) disappeared shortly after we got started. Too much testosterone in the room I guess :D

Dave brought over some DVD's and we watched certain high energy scenes from U-571, War of the Worlds and the gun battle from Open Range, Aaron's HT sounded fantastic :cool: I ended up bringin my LSi 9's which Doug left with and my Athena AS-B1's which Dave left with (all planned :) ). Now we just need Aaron to buy Doug's SDA 2A's and his 2 channel rig will be set :p

Once again had a great time with some solid Polkies.

H9

Thanks H9. I also had a great time as always. It was nice to meet another Polkie as well (daboyz).

This was the first time I had gotten the chance to directly compare the LSi's with the RTi70's. Also, I was pretty excited to hear the LSi's on my setup since a majority of the components linked up will go to 2-channel use if I ever spring for the 15's (or Doug's SDA's....). The LSi's are definately on a higher level of performance (as would be expected) but after reconnecting the 70's, I must say I'm still very satisfied with the sound of my RTi's. I expected to be depressed to go back to the RTi's after hearing the LSi's connected, but although the sound isn't as smooth and refined as the LSi's, they still sound damn good to me.

If anybody wants to give the dynamics of their HT amp a workout, checkout the shoutout scene in "Open Range". The gunshots are extremely impactful. I actually thought I had been shot a couple of times.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2007
    It was great time, as always! It was good to add Dave (DaBoyz) as a member of the Greater Rockford IL Audio Society :p Thanks to Brock (H9) for the deal on the LSi's! He knew there was a plan afoot when I kept pressuring him to buy the SDA's at the IL Polk Fest ;) As soon as I pickup my new B&K AVR from FedEx on Monday, and find a LSiC, I'll be ready to start dialing in my new HT system. Great people, great gear (Aaron & Michele's new HT system and room in their basement rocks :D ), and a good time!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited July 2007
    Excellent time for me! Aaron is right, the Lsi's were sweet. At one point I asked him if his sub was on they sounded that good:) Aaron's basement was beautifully done and the HT room was a great size to really enjoy the movies. Those speaks rocked!!
    The DAC he has hooked up really changed the soundstage wonderfully. I was very impressed to the point where I gotta get me one.
    It was great for me to finally meet Michelle, Aaron, Brock and Doug(2nd time). Definitely need to do it again, maybe even my place. Excellent folk. Hopefully I can get Brock and Aaron out on the golf course sometime.
    On the way to the wine tasting my wife asked, "So, what do you want to buy now?":D Too much to even tell her;)

Thanks again for having me over Aaron and it was really wonderful to spend time w/Brock and Doug, can't wait for the next time!

Dave
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    Congrats guys! You don't need a specially promoted maga "Polkfest" for a couple of folks to get together enjoy some tunes, talk shop, eat some good food and have some laughs. Do it often!
    Carl