2007 Civic 4 Door or Coupe

eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
So since my car is totaled im going to get a new civic 4 door or 2 door havent decided yet, since its a new car i figured i might as well put a GPS in, i was thinking pioneer or eclipse because thats what i get my discounts on. I dont wana spend a rediculous amount and i want somthing nice for an ipod.

What can i fit in it?
any recomendations?
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    As in straight up civic 4dr. of 2dr? Not a SI? If you are looking at a new Civic, you owe it to yourself to look at a VW Rabbit or a Jetta.....Both MUCH better cars, IMHO anyway...Look around man, there are a lot of cars out there in that price range new and used.....I don't really have anything against Honda, but I personally think there are cars in that range that have a better fit and finish...If you are looking at a SI, I would go drive a VW GTI 2 or 4 door, you get a lot more for your money IMO....I have driven many a MK5 GTI, and a couple of new SIs.....For performance and just for everyday use, the GTI is miles above......Those seats are awesome, and 100MPH feels like 55 in it...I must admit I am biased, I had a real bad Honda, and currently have a MKIV Jetta that has had no major problems......
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2007
    We have a 7 year old Honda Civic EX that we purchased brand new....not one problem with it so far. I do know of some people that have had issues with their VW's though...one of them being my aunt.

Go with what fits you best.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • eloplayspolo
    edited June 2007
    LOL

My dad has been in the car business 30 years, Honda and Toyota are so far above anything else its not even.... LOL wow

I like the way those cars look, but as a young adult who works 2 jobs and goes to school, i need reliablity about anything else.

anyone have any suggestions for my 2 real questions, about the navagation.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2007
    I would personally go with an Eclipse navi unit.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • eloplayspolo
    edited June 2007
    Any reason? or u just an eclipse fan? i liked the new one they came out w/ myself, the 3.5" w/ the touch screen and detachable GPS, but its getting terrible reviews, and im not sure if it fits in my car.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2007
    Even though they're sexy, you couldn't catch me in a new VW these days. Reliability issues and definitely don't seem to be built real well in all areas. My brother bought a 05 Jetta off a lease by an older woman and it's falling apart just as fast as his 93 civic with 170k miles...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    So, pioneer or eclipse?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    Mac, what are your feelings?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Either would be ok but Id lean towards Eclipse for their better quality.

The only thing I like about Pioneers is they have a lot of SQ oriented tuning features.

However they just seem to have too many quality control and noise issues.

If I ever left Alpine, Id go with Eclipse.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2007
    Get a 2008 Challenger.

The best DCX has to offer... 6.1 Hemi with 'beefy goodness' extras, and if the rumor mill is correct, it may be mated to the oh so desireable old school chrysler 9000 rear end by your friends at Spicer... yes, leaf springs, dare I say it, but only in limited production (250 units or so), depending on the demand. Else you're stuck with the IRS ... ewww.

Give me axles or give me death!

Get the Challenger and you not only get the reliability of a hella-badass muscle car with all the pinnings, but you get the uuber cool sexual favors of all the ladies that wanna work your stick shift.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    As an owner of 10 new Honda/Acuras over the years I would suggest you look at a mazda 3. Seriously, that car is awesome. The Mazda Speed 3 has been shown to beat an S2000 on the track (I've owned 2 S2000's). I seriously want to sell my Lexus IS350 to get a nice cheap car and Im thinking about the MS3
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    to the last post, i refuse to take advice from somone whos running 2 raptor HDs on raid, but is using an amd 3500. HA HAHAH

Every aplication is ran on Memory untill u hit your peak capacity, which in your case is 2 gigs, once u hit your 2 gigs of memory your hard drive is used as temp RAM, which means that it is physical. RAM is electrical, which is faster than physical, meaning that u will only notice the extra 2800 RPMs once u hit your peak amount of memory, depending on your operating system, im assuming its a version of windows, u could have went w/ a 500gb 7200 rpm HD and added another gig or 2 of ram and had a better set up. but hey, what do i know.

BTW, that better be Raid (0)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    As an owner of 10 new Honda/Acuras over the years I would suggest you look at a mazda 3. Seriously, that car is awesome. The Mazda Speed 3 has been shown to beat an S2000 on the track (I've owned 2 S2000's). I seriously want to sell my Lexus IS350 to get a nice cheap car and Im thinking about the MS3

We have a winner!
    87k on my Mazda3 and no problems. Eat that VW/Audi!
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2007
    Oh, and the MS3 didn't beat the S2000 at Nurburgring yet. But considering it was the driver's first time in a MS3 and on the 'Ring, not too shabby.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • KevinLWhitaker
    KevinLWhitaker Posts: 47
    edited July 2007
    No doubt RAID was overhyped for desktop applications, many studies have shown little to not improvement from RAID. And with memory prices these days (even proc and mobo pricing) its easy to have a screaming system (E6600 can be had for less than $250, 2 GB of fast memory for less than $100). I do have a 150 gig raptor, but when it gets full and I buy another (or something) I will almost certainly not do RAID. Video, however, still remains somewhat pricey, but who can resist a 8800 GTX?

But back to the original question. I think Eclipse may have a slight edge in quality but you probably can't go wrong with either. If you are buying from an authorized dealer I would go with the unit that had the best features I wanted and the best pricing.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2007
    Every aplication is ran on Memory untill u hit your peak capacity, which in your case is 2 gigs, once u hit your 2 gigs of memory your hard drive is used as temp RAM, which means that it is physical. RAM is electrical, which is faster than physical, meaning that u will only notice the extra 2800 RPMs once u hit your peak amount of memory, depending on your operating system, im assuming its a version of windows,

um...

no.

... applications are 'run' in a processor, and 'on' registers. ala 'bangin on registers'. however, unless you're running an original version of tetris or something else pathetically tiny as that, register space will not suffice. as such, information is shunted to Ram where it is then addressable by the address bus and retrievable by the address bus. basically, information is shoved into Ram until it is needed, and then pulled back into the processor registers for use WHEN needed. its a continuous cycle.

... applications do not 'run' on hard drives.

HDD's are not only too slow, but they're so far down the line in computer architecture that it is virtually impossible to 'run' an application right off the hard drive. i say virtually impossible because to the best of my knowledge it IS impossible, but, you never know what some geek in his basement running Solaris might come up with.

... hard drives are not used as temporary ram. Do you have any idea what affect the constant read and write operations would have when performed on a given area of a hard drive? It's life span would be drastically diminished, on the order of 1/1000 th or worse.

... hard drives are electromechanical, not physical. ram is electrical. hard drives are magnetic, which is - duh - electrical, and then spin - duh - mechanical.

You should worry less about 'peak Ram capacity' and more about the quality of CPU that you run. Even a low level Sempron grade AMD in a socket 939/940 platform -- for a measily 30 bucks -- is going to blow the doors off of a lot of the **** that you probably consider "badass". However, in the end, the stability of the entire system in conjunction with the stability of the operating system and its ability to effectively handle resources will determine how many applications you can run at the same time.

To give you an example, I run a little server project. It's an AMD Sempron (Athlon XP Thoroughbred Core) 1.67 GHz Socket A (462) / 333 MHz FSB / 256 + 256 cache. ---- pretty slow by most standards. It is paired to a VIA KT600 Northbridge, 2 GB Corsair PC-3200 (400 MHz DDR), and a pile of hard drives....
    1- 40 GB 7200 RPM IDE running the OS
    2- (2x) 200 GB 7200 RPM IDE's in Raid 1 mirror for mission critical data storage @ 200 GB
    3- (8x) 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA II in Raid 6 parity stripe for multimedia and other data storage @ 2 TB

Now, I'm not supposed to be running 3 SATA adapter's off of a measily PCI bus, nor am I supposed to be running two gigabit ethernet feeds off it either. And come to think of it, this lowly little system that now has gotten so large that it required the bolting together of identical cases to make it viable, and two 550 watt power supplies set up in master / slave config, should not even boot up if we follow your logic... right?

Fact is, I can have 30 http requests, 50 ftp requests, 100 smtp connections, software raid read and write sync's and a mess of other **** going on, and i hit about 50% load and only 50 - 60 % memory usage. the only time i see 90% ram memory usage is when i'm running scheduled antivirus scans on huge clips of data at a time. and even then, should it be a problem, the OS will relegate memory to more critical apps and put the AV on the back burner (well, slow it down) until ram frees up.

so unless you're running AutoCAD, or a server, you shouldn't need as much ram as you're harping on this guy about. the only way you would is if you run a piece of **** operating system like Windows Vista and don't know how to manage your apps.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    U need to check your facts buddy and reread what i said.

Your theory on a hard drive being electrical because its magnetic belongs in the yard w/ my totaled car. If it was electrical it wouldnt be able to store data for a long term w/ out power, like a hard drive can be. If it was electrical u wouldnt be able to put it in a bucket of water, and still have your information on it.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2007
    a hard drive is electro-mechanical. when you pick your head outa your ****, let me know.

um... you can't put a hard drive in a bucket of water and expect it to retain data.

it is hermetically sealed... all of the electro-mechanical components are on the inside (well, minus the control board which is on the outside bottom plate)... so if you throw it in a bucket of water, and you can dry out the control board, you can likely still use it. else, replace the board, and it'll probably still be fine. if you compromise the seal, however, it will not retain data.

and ram does not need power to retain its data... it just needs power to write / read data. you can pull a stick of memory out, put it back in, and u still have information on it -- but its a project to get that data off there.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    RAM DOESNT HOLD DATA.

#1 when u have drives cd players, burners, dvd players, burners... they are called optical drives. When u have hard drives they are called physical drives.

#2 u can take apart a hard drive and take the ACTUAL drive itself and marinate it in **** if it makes u happy and u can clean it off and it will still work. YES, a drive has electrical components, thats why u need to plug it into a power supply, but a drive does not use electricity to hold data.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2007
    re #2 -- it uses magnetism to hold data... run a magnet within 6 inches of a hard drive... no more data. magnetism is a form of electricity. **oooo... shocked?*** ... and no you can't marinate a hard drive in **** and expect it to work. if you took the platter out and even got a minute spec of dust on it, you might as well scrap it. you need a clean room that is above medical grade in order to safely disassemble a hdd and then reassemble it, and have any chance of it retaining data.

re #1 -- hdd's are 'called' physical drives, because they're physically portable (to varying degrees). but the root of the term 'physical drive' is to mean 'extensible drive' as opposed to 'embedded memory', which is what ram and processor registers are considered. regardless of the fact that we are now able to plug and un-plug sticks of ram, that does not change the fact that -- on a system level -- they are to be considered embedded to the system, while data storage (hard drives) are not.

memory can also accomplish data storage... do you think that your cellular phone has a hard drive? if you do, you're very retarded, and likely take the short bus to school.

does your USB flash drive (ooo that's a 'physical' drive now isn't it...) have a hard drive? or any other sort of magnetic rotating drive? nope... its got ram... it wont meet PC-XXXX standards, but its the same basic technology. you could run 'hard drives' that were nothing more than giant cascaded banks of ram, but it would not be cost prohibitive, and you would not gain anything, a 32 bit system (or modern 64 bit system) can only access so much ram (can only 'address' so much ram... then you hit a brick wall... 2^32 or 2^64... 2^32 = 4 Gigs -- you can't have more than 4 gigs of ram in a 32 bit system. period. 2^64= 18 Million Terabytes (yup, lots)). However, ram requires a certain amount of power to maintain its state (in many cases -- there does exist a variety that you can disconnect the chip-card, do whatever you want with it, and then put it back in, and you'll retain memory... one example is an EProm, although that's not fast enough by any means to be considered anything resembling Ram, and its a totally different topology as well, but that's besides the point, it's a silicon based data storage device, pure electrical data storage).

i hate stupid people.

.... little more on the cell phone example. a lot of cell phones run an ARM processor (Acorn Risc Microprocessor -- or whatever they're calling it now). Modern ARM 7's are more or less about as fast as say a Pentium 1 or a 486. They're teeney little **** with dedicated purposes. Now, that processor runs your cell phone's operating system (yes your cell phone has an operating system... a derh... even the ancient cell phones from 1996 [i miss my old nokia analog] ran an operating system with text only input [can we say 'you mean like Dos?' batman]) off of (say it with me) Ru... Ru.. Ruu--hha--- Ruu-haa--aaammm... Ram. Everytime you shut that thing off and turn it back on, you're rebooting the OS, from storage into memory.... from a section of Ram dedicated to data storage (like a hard drive is dedicated to storage) into another section of Ram (probably on the same chip) dedicated to system memory (ala... 'ram' Ram).

Want another example... ever own a TI-83/86/89 graphing calculator? Think that thing has a hard drive? **** I had mine playing Tetris, Frogger, Bump-N-Jump, and even Pong. It's got an operating system, runs very simple programs, and runs a Texas Instruments 33 MHz processor (last I checked). Has something like 512k of total memory (all Ram).
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited July 2007
    I'd go with the Civic coupe. Stay away from Volkswagon- they're nice looking but reliability issues is a concern.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    eloplayspolo, you're wrong. You just got schooled by PBD, admit it. :P

And quit knocking people for their choice in hardware/systems/choice of processors/raid/type of toilet paper/etc/etc. That won't fly around here for very long.

Oh, and go with a Toyota or Honda, and the Eclipse.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    your late.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited July 2007
    whatever you choose. go for the 4 dr... more practical imo :D

ms3, jetta, golf and Civic are all excellent choices. If you guys got the acura csx in the states i'd add that to the list also. Personally, I'd go for the Civic, though. VW's are more expensive to maintian and if any major component needs to be replaced, you'll pay an arm and a leg. Civic parts can be found easily, usually for low prices. Plus the civic has EXCELLENT potential if you're looking at making it fast. the ms3 is quite a nice car (fast too), but mazda is owned by ford :(

good luck with the buy!
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited July 2007
    You know what man I'm currently looking for a new car myself and honestly I've got it narrowed down to a small list:

2007 Honda Civic SI Sedan
    2007 Mazda3 s Sport 5-door
    2007 Mazda6 i 5-door
    2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition
    And where I live at all those dealerships are scattered about and it would take a full tank of gas to actually drive around and go test drive all those cars but I'm gonna have to do it. Honda's always been easy to make them fast and furious but I've always been real biased towards Mazdas even though they ARE owned by Ford. But then again my cousin just bought one of those Subaru Legacy's AWD and they're pretty nice. We'll just have to go out and test drive and see what we like the best.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited July 2007
    Have fun test driving!

I "test drove" the **** outta a g35 and my brother's bimmer. Fun cars.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited July 2007
    I went with a Civic Sedan LX, i got it for 16,500 (bellow pure). cant beat that price. If u can get it from 17,000 go with it, off the line its not too quick right now, i mean its pretty solid, it can put your head into your seat, but when your going around 30 and punch it, u get going quick, as far as the rest of it, i like it a lot, very solid, not to mention super safe with 8 air bags.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8