Engine Noise

eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
So right now i just installed my 2 rear components and my 4 chan amp.

When i accelerate i get a whistle. i have my rca and my power wire on other ends of the car, i DO have the remote wire on the same side as the RCAs, is th at the problem?
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2007
    It's more than likely a ground loop which is not going to be cured by moving wires. What amp are you using?
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2007
    ground issues and common fix...

1- amp has steel 'feet' or mounting tabs: use nylon washers in front of and behind the mounting screws and use a skinnier mounting screw with some electrical tape wrapped around the center. this should isolate the chassis from the amp's case. (only applies if the amp is screwed down to the metal of the car... if your amp is on a wooden amp rack, then this cannot be the cause).

2- bad ground contact: unscrew your ground strap, shave all the paint off of the car's body in that small area, and use a stainless steel screw to --very firmly-- tighten the ground strap to the car's chassis.

3- **** RCA's: it happens sometimes... get something better (not more expensive, just better quality).

4- bad head unit ground: some head units can produce alternator whine if not grounded properly, a fix is to use a eyelet or spade connector with some 16 gauge wire, and tie the eyelet / spade to an existing screw on the metal body of the head unit.... splice this to the black ground power wire for the head unit, and then splice that to a nice fat hunk of metal (such as the back of your firewall -- shave paint off obviously first).

5- RCA connections behind the dashboard: I used an RCA Y-splitter behind the dashboard once, due to the low quality of the splitter, I was getting noise through my very high quality RCA cables. Fix is to eliminate splitters behind the dash or use high quality splitters with suitable insulation.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2007
    now that just sucks.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge