How to set crossover frequency?

vinkalmann
vinkalmann Posts: 11
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,

I am running MB Quart Separates and a Polk SR104 sub. The sub has a frequency response up to 200hz. How to people generally set their crossovers? Do I set the LP filter on the amp at 200hz and the HP at 200hz, or should I have some carryover, ie the LP at 200hz and the HP at say 150hz.

Right now I have it the LP set at 100hz and the HP at 100hz. It sounds good, but it seems like it would take some of the work of the front speakers if the frequency was set higher towards 200hz.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Note: The Amp is a Alpine PDX 4x150watt if that matters. The sub is in a sealed enclosure.
Post edited by vinkalmann on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    Vehicle and crossover dependent, I usually do 80 hz LP for the subs, and 100Hz highpass for the components. If you feel like you are driving your components too hard, you can always get a pair of separate midbasses :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jack from Indo
    Jack from Indo Posts: 109
    edited June 2007
    1. I've never heard a sub that sounded good above LP 100, but maybe there's one somewhere. Most people set at 40, 60, 80, or 100. My current rig is 80.

2. Once you get up to that 200hz frequency range, your encroaching on info that was deliberately panned left or right in the recording studio. At that point, you don't want to direct it out of one speaker, (your sub) but in stereo like it was recorded.
  • Jack from Indo
    Jack from Indo Posts: 109
    edited June 2007
    I will add something: Take a bass note, whose frequency is say, 69hz. That would be the note C on the bass guitar. Now, although the fundamental tone coming out of that bass guitar is 69hz, but in addition to that, there are the harmonics of the bass guitar string, which add color and life to the fundamental note. These harmonics are not nearly as loud as the fundamental note, and often cannot be heard as distinct, individual tones, but they are there nonetheless and are very important to a nice, rich, sweet bass note.

The most noticeable and important harmonics in our theoretical fundamental bass note of 69hz are going to be of hz138, hz207, and hz206 frequency, (provided said note was played on a bass guitar and not a synth). By letting those frequencies come out of your comps, you'll find that your staging and "presence" of the bass is much better. Well, in my experience anyway.