Zep news....hot off the press

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,161
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/29305

Rumors like this have abounded each and every year since Bonzo's death. Perhaps this is the real thing, perhaps not.

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited June 2007
    No mention at all on the Led Zep web site. Probably won't happen.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • heiney9
    edited June 2007
    I'm inclined to agree, but one can always hope.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2007
    Yeah - I'm going have to agree as well. It would be pretty incredible though.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2007
    Robert Plant sounds like **** anyways. It might be like seeing Marilyn Monroe in her '90's. Just not what it used to be.
    Carl

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited June 2007
    Keep the faith!!!! There is no way Plant could be the same but I would definitely love to see it.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited June 2007
    Robert Plant's new album, on DVD in particular, is pretty good and may suprise you in how well he uses his voice. That's in contrast to his previous attempts to sound like the "old" Robert Plant.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    edited June 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Robert Plant's new album, on DVD in particular, is pretty good and may suprise you in how well he uses his voice. That's in contrast to his previous attempts to sound like the "old" Robert Plant.

The "soundstage" concert on DVD supporting his new cd is excellent. His band is really tight and they really put a new spin on the old classics. So I think Plant will be up to the task. Page hasn't really played a lot he'd need to polish up.

H9
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2007
    The Jimmy Page/Black Crowes album is pretty solid but that was a few years ago.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    edited June 2007
    The Jimmy Page/Black Crowes album is pretty solid but that was a few years ago.

I agree and it's really fleshed out on SDA's. But having two other guitarists support Jimmy really covers up some of the flaws. I'm a Page freak and he just can't play like he did in the old days. I understand that and accept it.

He was pretty good in 1995 with Porl Thompson as support during the first run of Page/Plant tours. I have lots of boots form that tour and he really was spot on by the end of the tour. They dropped a second guitarist for the 2nd tour in 1998 and Page was really on for most of the tour.

I have a DVD boot recorded for TV broadcast of Page/Plant at Rockpalast in Germany (1998) and Page is playing out of his mind. Every change/riff and especially solo's are spot on (no sticky fingers of forgotten notes). **** amazing. I haven't seen/heard him play that well since some of the 1977 concerts and at the Knebworth show on the official DVD.

If he could get back to that form then they would be a force to be reckoned with. I don't know if he has the motivation and energy to get back to that place of consistent playing. I think he literally drooled and sweated about 5 gallons of water during that show.

The Crowes 2 cd set is really good considering where Page was in his playing at the time. But a lot of the more complicated soloing is missing. The worst part, I skip over everytime, is the solo in Heartbreaker, dismal and I cringe everytime I hear it because it borders on pathetic. Beyond that the Crowes set is very heavy and muscular and Page delivers the goods albiet some very abrevieated solo's (compared to the original). I have two bootleg videos of the tour and he was pretty consistent for the short time they were together.

I've gotten over the fact along time ago that they will never live up to the band they were in the 70's, but something is better than nothing. I really like what Plant has been doing on his last 2 releases and what he has done to freshen up the Zep catalog.

H9
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2007
    I think Page should start shooting heroin again, that might help.
  • heiney9
    edited June 2007
    I think Page should start shooting heroin again, that might help.

LOL, it certainly would calm him down before he goes on stage. Even now he gets nervous or so he says.