Smart Cars

2»

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    I'll try to take a picture of his from a few different angles this Sat or Sun, with/without people, etc.
    If you could, how about a side by side with a normal sized car.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2007
    Face wrote: »
    If you could, how about a side by side with a normal sized car.

Will do (if he shows up of course.)

I would NEVER want to drive one of these. Of the 2-4 hours he spends on a Sunday hanging out and smoking cigars, I'd bet he spends an hour saying the same **** over and over to people asking about the car.

You MUST want attention if you buy one of these, b/c you're going to get it apparently....
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    Face wrote: »
    A 5 point would be worse for whiplash. They have less give and would hold your body in place better, causing your head to whip around even more. The only solution would be a 5 or 6 point harness, a helmet, and a HANS setup. :D Just as I mentioned above, may as well install a cage in it too.

The 5 point would at least spread the impact. The current over the shoulder and lap belt will just jack our kidneys and wing your head in a twist instead of straight ahead.

We have a picture of my wife "hugging" one. She's only 5'8" but could stretch her arms from the nose to tail of one she liked in Rome. Tiny boogers, I'll try and find it and post it tonight.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    You're correct, it does spread the impact better to the body. I can also see where you're coming from as far as it being easier on your neck. But, the webclamps on 5 point harnesses are much smaller than on a regular 3 point seatbelt. Keeping your body in place much better, but allowing your neck to bounce around more.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/nascar-safety4.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt#Pretensioners_and_webclamps
    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-71479.html
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2007
    I don't care how good the mpg is or the price, that thing is way to fugly.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited June 2007
    If I remember correctly, the SMART cars were designed by Mercedes.(edit, they are a Daimler Chrysler company:
    http://www.smart.com/-snm-0135035552-1182239037-0000000616-0000004581-1183085205-enm-is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/mpc-uk-content-Site/en_UK/-/GBP/SVCPresentationPipeline-Start?Page=issite%3A%2F%2Fmpc-uk-Site%2Fmpc-uk.com%2FRootFolder%2Fsmart%2Fhome.page)

The SMART Roadster is decent looking too, but not quite as "different" looking as the small one.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • jflail2
    edited June 2007
    okiepolkie wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the SMART cars were designed by Mercedes.(edit, they are a Daimler Chrysler company:
    http://www.smart.com/-snm-0135035552-1182239037-0000000616-0000004581-1183085205-enm-is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/mpc-uk-content-Site/en_UK/-/GBP/SVCPresentationPipeline-Start?Page=issite%3A%2F%2Fmpc-uk-Site%2Fmpc-uk.com%2FRootFolder%2Fsmart%2Fhome.page)

The SMART Roadster is decent looking too, but not quite as "different" looking as the small one.

Yes. and from what dude that owns one said, the US models will unfortunately have a mitsubishi engine instead of the mercedes engine in the grey mkt models. Pics coming monday (if he shows up of course.)

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2007
    The first time I saw this car was during the summer of 2000 in the ritzy city of Stuttgart. They were in every street, neighborhood, and parked in rows they looked hilarious. The next city I visited was Frankfurt where they were still visible but to a lesser degree. Starting from Frankfurt I got my first taste of the Autobahn in a friend's car at around 255km/hr. Barely an hour into our drive I saw flashing headlights in the rear view (as is normal there) but to my surprise a smartcar zoomed past us. I laughed and told my friend about how crazy that driver was. He told me no, that it is actually quite a stable car. I forget exactly which he said, either designed or built by Mercedes-Benz but they have a strong frame. While he continued talking I watched the smartcar speed ahead of us and it was very stable at this high speed without any visible modifications. A few weeks later I had the chance to ride in a smartcar but only for a city ride. As I remember they have a firm suspension and are just like one of their advertising slogans at the time. It went something like "room for two and a case of beer". The case of beer of course being held by the passenger. During the rest of my vacation in Germany I made an effort to watch for them and they were in every city.

At the time I was thinking these would be useful in American cities where parking space is limited. These cars can park in those tiny spaces that usually only motorcycles can fit in. Over the years I've seen the occasional news story that they "will be coming next year, or the year after" so it's nice to see the day is finally coming. There was mention that they wouldn't meet American smog requirements so there will be engine mods and now possibly frame mods? I have no idea what it will be like though, modified from the original German model.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/60538/smart_car_crash/
    <embed src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/60538/smart_car_crash.swf&quot; width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>
  • jflail2
    edited June 2007
    Got some pictures today; will post tonight when I get home. Only had a chevy truck as a comparison vehicle since he was rushed for time and that was the only vehicle in the lot, but you'll get the jist.

Power windows, ac, that thing blows my mind for the size....

• jflail2
    edited June 2007
    Pics as promised. he was in a rush so I couldn't get many.

smart1qp5.jpg

smart2ut9.jpg

smart3br4.jpg

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    What, no smiley face in the second pic? hahahaha, man that thing is tiny..
  • jflail2
    edited June 2007
    What, no smiley face in the second pic? hahahaha, man that thing is tiny..

Hah, got lazy. It is incredibly tiny. He pulls it with his travel trailer (loads it actually, you can't tow these apparently?) and uses it where ever he ends up stopping for a few months. Seems to serve his specific purpose well.

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    I think it would be easier just to put a large caliber pistol to your head, and pull the trigger. My friend got hit in his RX7 and his foot was crushed from the car crumpling. If you got bumped in one of those Fisher Price toys you would definitely go flying off the road. I can see use possibly in a large city where you don't exceed 35mph. As for me I will buy the over priced gas, and have the piece of mind that my American car is surrounding me.
    Please read my sig.
    Edit if you get a flat one of your friends, or your wife could hold up the car while you cange the tire:rolleyes:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited June 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Hah, got lazy. It is incredibly tiny. He pulls it with his travel trailer (loads it actually, you can't tow these apparently?) and uses it where ever he ends up stopping for a few months. Seems to serve his specific purpose well.

I could see that, it has a really small wheel base and is pretty low....I never understood the whole RV thing, but this is a great choice if you plan to do it....A unenclosed trailer isn't that expensive, and that thing is super short....Looks like a decent car for the money....
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited June 2007
    Hey Ben, watch that vid Polk65 posted above...Mercedes designed this thing, and they made sure it was safe.....I think a "bluetec" engine in this thing (diesel) would be all kinds of spectacular...70MPH into a wall and you can still open and close the passenger door repeatedly? Man, it may be small, but it can take a hit.
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Hey Ben, watch that vid Polk65 posted above...Mercedes designed this thing, and they made sure it was safe.....I think a "bluetec" engine in this thing (diesel) would be all kinds of spectacular...70MPH into a wall and you can still open and close the passenger door repeatedly? Man, it may be small, but it can take a hit.

I did see it. They didn't focus very hard on where the drivers legs would have been crushed. They would have been able to get most of the drivers body out of that door though:p Test like that show that the car may have survived well, but a larger car designed to absorb the impact the driver actually would live. That sucker jumped right up in the air! If I were a car company I would definitely not brag about how much weight it actually pushed. A very solid object can push more weight than a less dense object. The difference at that speed in that car with ridged, or a crumple design would be whether the casket was open or closed:eek: My friend crashed his 80 something Camaro into a telephone pole at 110, and lived:) The telephone pole did not:(
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    That little sucker hit so hard that the back window went through the front window. There would be passengers between the two! You would still be able to sell the passenger door though:eek: :p:D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited June 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I did see it. They didn't focus very hard on where the drivers legs would have been crushed. They would have been able to get most of the drivers body out of that door though:p Test like that show that the car may have survived well, but a larger car designed to absorb the impact the driver actually would live. That sucker jumped right up in the air! If I were a car company I would definitely not brag about how much weight it actually pushed. A very solid object can push more weight than a less dense object. The difference at that speed in that car with ridged, or a crumple design would be whether the casket was open or closed:eek: My friend crashed his 80 something Camaro into a telephone pole at 110, and lived:) The telephone pole did not:(

I could see that, but while a larger car CAN help in a crash, it is not the determining factor...A year after I graduated HS, some kid smashed a Mercedes S600 into a tree at over 120MPH...The only person that lived was a kid whose side airbag DID NOT go off....The tree was sitting about at the beginning of the back window..The side bags helped push the back passenger into the tree...The V12 engine coming through the firewall killed the front two....
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    I could see that, but while a larger car CAN help in a crash, it is not the determining factor...A year after I graduated HS, some kid smashed a Mercedes S600 into a tree at over 120MPH...The only person that lived was a kid whose side airbag DID NOT go off....The tree was sitting about at the beginning of the back window..The side bags helped push the back passenger into the tree...The V12 engine coming through the firewall killed the front two....

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here. Which would someone rather crash with there loved ones in?
    A) little tiny car.
    B) large car.

Lobbyist like to push the economical vehicles... Then they leave in their limos, and large luxury vehicles:rolleyes:
    I don't think it is in anyones best interest to drive a sub compact at any high speeds.

BTW who designed the car with the V12 that killed 3 out of 4 passengers?(now I am being a smart a$$):p
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited June 2007
    I find it impressive that a car that small can survive a hit like that honestly....Large vehicles can be more of a hazard at the end of the day...The real problem is that people assume that because it is a large car, it can take a hit.....Which is sometimes not the case. Lobbyists ride off in 750ILs because a V12 is the only thing that can honestly push that much armor...If I had that much money, I wouldn't ride out to my private jet without it either...:D
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    I find it impressive that a car that small can survive a hit like that honestly....Large vehicles can be more of a hazard at the end of the day...The real problem is that people assume that because it is a large car, it can take a hit.....Which is sometimes not the case. Lobbyists ride off in 750ILs because a V12 is the only thing that can honestly push that much armor...If I had that much money, I wouldn't ride out to my private jet without it either...:D

I am too totally amazed at how rock solid that car is, and for the structural integrity too hold up to such a hit. A huge amount of engineering went into the chassis to accomplish that. The question is what about the people?
    Again not trying to be a smart a$$. Just trying to look out for peoples well being here.

All collisions
    1) A man runs into another man same speed one is 300#, the other 150#
    2) Mini vs Ford LTD
    3) Ford LTD vs Bus
    4) Bus vs Tractor Trailer
    5) Tractor Trailer vs Train
    Guess who wins 95% of the time. Something to chew on.
    When purchasing a vehicle first I think about my kids, and hope I don't do battle with a train:D

I used to drive big trucks(ie things with air brakes(little cars too)). My buddy and I always joked around, and said "we have the right of weight" when some little import was pulling out in front of us when we had load, or cut us off.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited June 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    My buddy and I always joked around, and said "we have the right of weight" when some little import was pulling out in front of us when we had load, or cut us off.

That is a strong point, there are a lot of stupid people who cut off the semi drivers around here....Like the slogan goes "safe happens".........I think given the gas price increase lately, a lot of people will look at the Smart.....Anyone who is looking at this better realize that while it is safe, it is no match for something like a Semi.....I personally would look at a diesel Jetta, because 87 octane is something like$0.25 more than Diesel around here....Smart cars are a great idea, but getting that across to the public might be an issue....I think if Smart introduced a diesel vehicle it would be a winner.....
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    That is a strong point, there are a lot of stupid people who cut off the semi drivers around here....Like the slogan goes "safe happens".........I think given the gas price increase lately, a lot of people will look at the Smart.....Anyone who is looking at this better realize that while it is safe, it is no match for something like a Semi.....I personally would look at a diesel Jetta, because 87 octane is something like$0.25 more than Diesel around here....Smart cars are a great idea, but getting that across to the public might be an issue....I think if Smart introduced a diesel vehicle it would be a winner.....

I am all for diesel. Especially vehicles that can run bio diesel. Now put that in a mid size American car, and I am all over it:D

Edit
    BTW I drive a 96 Pontiac Grand Prix V6 with 155k on it. I can effortlessly pull away from other cars without changing gears, and revving it up. I get a calculated 33mpg highway, and 27mpg stop, and go city. My 2000 passat got the same kinda mileage, cost a lot to fix, and needed to be revved pretty hard to go fast. Yes the VW was faster if you really pushed it, but at 80 it was revving 1000 rpm more than the 6. I wish America made a good diesel car. They make some really nice trucks. Less rpm's = longer lasting in most cases.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited June 2007
    The problem is that most American companies think diesel is for heavy duty trucks.....I guess they have not learned from VW....Hehe:D ......If they integrated this technology (or lack thereof) they could make a lot of money.....Oh well, I guess they are not interested...:D
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    The problem is that most American companies think diesel is for heavy duty trucks.....I guess they have not learned from VW....Hehe:D ......If they integrated this technology (or lack thereof) they could make a lot of money.....Oh well, I guess they are not interested...:D

This is turning into a Ford Chevy kinda thing:) And Mercedes started the mass production of diesel. Yes I too hope America will wake up, and smell the toast burning!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited June 2007
    My mom had a old 300TD Mercedes wagon, and it had over 300k on it when it finally died....I wish the mindset of the public could see the possibilities of diesel technology...Look at the Audi that won LeMans.....Man, what an advance of technology.......
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited July 2007
    They are every where here as well. Yes they are very small. It was a combined effort with the owner and crator of Swatch (watches), along with Mercedes hence the name Smart stands for Swatch Mercedes art.