DVD Authoring Software

m00npie
m00npie Posts: 697
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
I’m looking to update my current DVD authoring software and was wandering what other folks use to create home DVD’s. Get your mind out of the gutter; this is for capturing photo & video of my children.

Right now I am using Ulead DVD Workshop 2 & Ulead VideoStudio10. I really liked DVD Workshop but I have found that most of these software packages are always lacking something. Has anyone tried Sony Vegas? It looks like it has everything but the $525.00 price tag is a bit expensive. Free trials and downloads never open up the full capability of the software so it’s a waste of time at least with Ulead products anyway.
Post edited by m00npie on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    I still use Pinnacle Studio 10.x

Been using it for years but I still fully believe that this technology is not ready for computers yet, even the latest (I usually have a cutting edge PC)

I have about 350 gigs in home videos burned to .avi now. 1 hour of digital video is about 16 gigs.

Systems still just don’t deal with 16 gig files well at all.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited June 2007
    Yep, I agree. My Uncle uses Apple with Adobe software and he does not have the processing issues that I have with a PC. .AVI is impossible at times for me to move from backup drive to backup drive so I go with an .mpeg format. The quality is not as good but the files are more portable.

The last disk I created which contained photos & videos plus animated menus took my PC about 14 hours to render the .iso file for a 90 minute video. I would consider Apple & Adobe products but it is far too expensive.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    I have a friend that uses Vegas, and he really likes it.

I have the Adobe program, but I have yet to use it.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited June 2007
    i use sony vegas. it's the first retail movie making software i've used beyond windows movie maker so i can't compare it to anything else. it did take a little time getting used to, but overall i really like it. it takes a list of other programs or a more expensive program to get equivalent or better performance IMO. i like being able to edit, encode & author in one package.

edit: i don't use the $525 version. i purchased this for ~$90
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=977&spid=341

i think the $525 is more along the professional line.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited June 2007
    i use sony vegas at school and it is nice
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT