AudioKarma Quote

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,161
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
When things are a bit slow here I go over and read AudioKarma. I'm not an active posting member because the general POV on that board is far different from my own. I do get some interesting info from there sometimes.

Here is a quote (which is NOT taken out of context of the entire post) he was responding to somone who was looking to replace his current amp with either Bryston, Adcom or Acurus and he was looking for opinions.

This is one of the responses he received. I got a chuckle because some people just don't get it.

What I look for in, say, an amp, is very good electrical performance; ruler flat FR, and the ability to drive low impedance loads. The "sound" is something that one can get too caught up in, and may even make one choose the lesser amp over the one with the above mentioned attributes.

This was response to a question about what amp to choose.
:D:D:D:D :eek: :eek: ;)
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    They should have mandatory drug testing before anyone is allowed to post over there.Atleast for that poster.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited June 2007
    He knows exactly what he is talking about! I mean really, who cares about the sound....it's really the electricity that we should be listening to. Really.

Follow his advise.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    Heaven forbid you guys get off your high horses and actually do any logical connections with his statements... :rolleyes:

Please, in you enlightened views, how is sound transferred if not through the electrical signals? Is this the magical "tone" that somehow microphones and oscilliscopes can't here but you can? The same "sound" that can't be received by microphones but is somehow magically is on a CD?

Can you explain how the sound you hear isn't mad up of electrical signals that are sent to your speakers?

Besides, quoting someone from one forum to call them out on another is pretty sad.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited June 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    He knows exactly what he is talking about! I mean really, who cares about the sound....it's really the electricity that we should be listening to. Really.

Follow his advise.

I know where some nice, heavily loaded 500kV transmission lines are located! ;)

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited June 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Heaven forbid you guys get off your high horses and actually do any logical connections with his statements... :rolleyes:

Please, in you enlightened views, how is sound transferred if not through the electrical signals? Is this the magical "tone" that somehow microphones and oscilliscopes can't here but you can? The same "sound" that can't be received by microphones but is somehow magically is on a CD?

Can you explain how the sound you hear isn't mad up of electrical signals that are sent to your speakers?

Besides, quoting someone from one forum to call them out on another is pretty sad.

You seem to be as idiotic as he is :rolleyes: . Of course the performance of the amp is based on "electrical signals". But to say don't listen to how it sounds just how it measures is the most idiotic audio related statement I've heard in a while.

"Hey guess what guys I got this new amp and it's ruler flat and can drive 0.5 ohm loads, pretty cool, eh! It sound awful but damn look how it measures."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!