More bad news...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
This is like a bad news day or something. Anywho, my wife & I decided last night that Sam, our almost 16 year old dog needs to be put down. The last month or so, he as been on a steady decline---though still eating and generally acting normal. His legs just keep giving out on him. He gets to the point where he can't get up, and when he does, he has difficulty walking.

So, do me a favor please, say a little prayer to help my wife Bev get through this. I know it's gonna be hard on her as this dog has seen her through alot of bad times in the past. Bev, being raised on a cattle ranch, understands the importance of not letting animals suffer unnecessarily, but it's still a decision she wanted me to make, and I completely understand.

Thanks guys & gals.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    Sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is to put a dog down. Prayer sent.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2007
    Hello,
    I'm certainly sorry to read about your dog. Just on an off chance, has he been drinking more water than usual lately?
    Regards, Ken
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    Hard to tell Ken, we have 2 dogs and this time of year they go thru alot of water. We've had Sam on Glucosimine (sp?) for about 8 months, to see if that might help the joint pain/stiffness, etc. It seems to have helped, but now he just simply doesn't have the strength anymore to get up, most of the time. Last night, he "crumbled" like 3 times, and just laid there, almost like he was paralyzed. His legs just give out.

Thanks fellas, I feel really bad for Bev.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    Prayers sent. Tough to hear about it.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    Sorry to hear about that, man. Prayers sent for you and your wife.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited June 2007
    That's really rough. A prayer sent your way.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited June 2007
    Sorry to hear that, Stevie.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2007
    Hello,
    The reason I ask is that one of the symptoms of renal (kidney) failure is a great deal of pain and weakness in the hind legs for a dog. Kidney failure is the number one cause of death for dogs and cats. Another symptom is increased water consumption, due to the kidney becoming less able to function. A fairly simple blood test can measure creatinine levels as well as phosphorus. The reason I bring all of this up is that my wife and i have been dealing with kidney failure in our dog and have reversed what looked like a very bad situation.
    I'm not trying to make your decision any more difficult, if your family has made a decision I completely respect that choice. But, I've seen, first hand what can be accomplished with "non-traditional" approaches. I had to carry our dog up and down the back porch steps only a couple of months ago and now she can jump about 2' onto our bed with no problem. All over her vital functions are working close to normal with a combination of Western and Eastern treatments.
    Ken
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. I "adopted" Jake & Sam when Bev & I got married a couple years ago. Sam was an animal rescue pup when Bev got him 15 years ago. Jake is a 12 year old lab/husky mix that she got as a 10 week old puppy. Jake is also showing his age, but I think he's got a couple years left in him, hopefully.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    Hello,
    The reason I ask is that one of the symptoms of renal (kidney) failure is a great deal of pain and weakness in the hind legs for a dog. Kidney failure is the number one cause of death for dogs and cats. Another symptom is increased water consumption, due to the kidney becoming less able to function. A fairly simple blood test can measure creatinine levels as well as phosphorus. The reason I bring all of this up is that my wife and i have been dealing with kidney failure in our dog and have reversed what looked like a very bad situation.
    I'm not trying to make your decision any more difficult, if your family has made a decision I completely respect that choice. But, I've seen, first hand what can be accomplished with "non-traditional" approaches. I had to carry our dog up and down the back porch steps only a couple of months ago and now she can jump about 2' onto our bed with no problem. All over her vital functions are working close to normal with a combination of Western and Eastern treatments.
    Ken

Appreciate the advice, I suppose it's possible but given his age and other health problems, it's time for him. He doesn't seem to be having any problems as far as using the bathroom. I can relate as my Pug "Katie" had to be put down at 9 years because of serious kidney failure---it hit her (and me) out of nowhere, in 3 days she was gone. She just "fell apart" one day, and test revealved that her kidney's were shot. They tried to jump-start them by using certain drugs and what not, but by day 3 she was just getting worse, so I had her euthanized.
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited June 2007
    Sorry to hear about your dog Steve.

Prayers sent for family.

God Bless.
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2007
    I don't envy your position regarding having to make that call. Rest assured that you made the best decision for your dogs sake. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Ben
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    Sorry to hear this Steve. But the best thing would be to let him go. He lived a long good life & was well cared for. Now it's time to complete the commitment with a gentle goodbye.

You & Bev are in my thoughts.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Sorry Steve, there are few things in the world worse than having to put down a beloved pet.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited June 2007
    sorry man...dogs make you smile...
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2007
    Hello,
    The unfortunate thing is that vets are not able to do very much to help a dog or cat with kidney failure. But, if you can somehow slow the process down the kidney can function with as little as 25% of the kidney's nephrons working (nephrons are cone shaped microscopic tubes that do the filtering). This process is called hypertrophy, the living nephrons taking over for the non-working ones. One product that can reduce the amount of toxins needed to be removed from the blood is called Azodyl which places special bacteria in the dog's digestive system.
    The other approach is to use acupuncture to maintain the dog's appetite and the use of Chinese herbs designed to get the kidneys working again. Our dog went from a creatinine level of 3.0 to almost normal at 1.8. All of her other blood functions showed a similar result. We feed her renal support supplements as well as Taurine (amino sulfonic acid) and a mixture of Chinese herbs. Taurine, by the way, was first found in blood serum of red bulls, hence the name "Taurus" the bull. It is also found in Red Bull, that's how it got it's name.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Take care, Ken
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    Thanks all for the support; Ken, I appreciate your input and taking the time to pass this information on.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2007
    Take care.
    Ken
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2007
    Real sorry to hear about your dog Steve.

I have a 10.5 yo Rott and he is showing his age alot lately and I know his time is limited.

It always hurts us to loose a good dog but it is the price we have to pay to have a good dog.

Owning a good dog is something I appreciate, loosing a good dog is very hard.

Good luck to you and your wife with this, sometimes it is difficult to remember that the dogs quality of life is what is most important.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2007
    Hello,
    I agree completely. One of the things I learned was that it is a good idea to have your pet's blood tested when it is fairly young. This gives you a base line to compare with any changes that might happen later on in life. The other thing is to keep an eye on your pet's water consumption. Any sudden changes in how much water they drink is important to note. Also, keep antifreeze away from pets in driveways and streets. It has a sweet taste and clogs up the nephrons, crystals form in the microscopic funnels and shut them off. Bad news!
    Ken
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited June 2007
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2007
    Hats off to Sam, I'm sure he led a good life.

You can tell your wife Bev, which I assume is short for Beverly, that our daughter Stephanie was almost a Beverly. I like the name a lot and think it's one of the girliest names out there. Theresa wasn't buying, but we could agree on Stephie.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    That is an extremely sad and difficult thing to have to do. My thoughts are with you.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    Thank you all. You rock.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2007
    Sorry to hear Steve, nothing quite like the loyalty and love your dog can show you.

ted
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    My heart goes out for you & Bev. It's a tough decision to make, I have two dogs & I dread the day when the decision has to be made at our home. Loving memories will help ease the pain.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited June 2007
    Damn, it's gonna be weird visiting and not having Sammy around. I hope Beverly is doing okay. Sam is good dog and will be missed.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    Well, at about 5:15pm he was put down. Bev is touched by your response, wants to reply, but can't right now as you might understand.

I really appreciate your support, it means alot to Bev as well, but I let her tell it her way....thanks guys & gals. You are some stellar people that I'm proud to call friends.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    I-SIG wrote: »
    Damn, it's gonna be weird visiting and not having Sammy around. I hope Beverly is doing okay. Sam is good dog and will be missed.

Wes

Thanks bud, Bev will appreciate a good friend right now.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited June 2007
    This is the hardest part of dog ownership. Condolences to you and Bev.