So how's 8.87 @162.849 MPH grab you?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Yeah, we went down to Cecil Dragway in MD this weekend for the NSCA Jim Sellers memorial race and got into the Limited Street class with the green Mustang. It had the highest MPH of every car in the field and we didn't think we'd qualify but our first qualifier run was a number 3 seed on the ladder. We ran a second run and kept our 3rd spot but the supercharger sucked up a rag in the burnout box and blew the blower apart. We packed up, flew home like the wind, scrounged up another blower and the rest of the parts we needed, wrenched all night and were back at the track at 8 am. We found that everybody ran better in the cooler night air on the 3rd qualifier so we got bumped down to 11th. Still in the sweet 16 though!

1st round, came up against a guy with full slicks and more power than us but he blew the tires away off the line and we ran a 9.14 at 165 MPH for the first round and got in to the quick 8. That run though, we had an intake gasket leak and it sidelined us. So we staged for the next round and tried to run it after cleaning it up a bit but it was pissing on the header and we shut it down. So yeah, broke the car TWICE and still got to the Quick 8 and managed to get a cash prize out of it too!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like you had a stress full weekend that turned out good!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2007
    I can **** faster than that.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    Josh wrote: »
    I can **** faster than that.

Damn, do your co-workers know :eek:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    Other then that speed and time is impressive. NICE :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2007
    what i want to know is where you 'scrounge up' another blower that'll fit your intake setup and all that and just bolt right in over the course of one night.

is there someone giving away free weiands or something? if so -- send them to my house where they may feel free to cut a hole in my truck's hood and drop one in.

that being said -- i agree, sounds like you had a helluva weekend (in a good way), which is a good thing though... you need it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited June 2007
    It's not a Weiand blower, it's a Vortech and we know alot of other racers in the area. On the way back, cellphones were lighting up like Christmas trees all over South Jersey in an effort to find someone with a spare blower. Got a hold of one of my buddies' friends and he came through with a revised S-trim and dropped it off at about 9:30 at night. He had a bit of a drive to go get it and bring it up. We have an S-trim...well, rather, HAD an S-trim. So it bolted right in. It was making more boost though. We were running about 26-27 pounds, this revised one was up around 29-30.

But yeah, when you explain to a racer that you just laid down a hot time and have a chance to win the whole shebang but your blower blew up, a REAL racer will be like "Yo, I got a spare S-trim you can borrow!" and then you come to find out that he had no spare and he pulled it off of HIS race car to help YOU out.

That is a fine example of a human being right there and the definition of a friend.

Oh yeah, don't doubt the scrounging abilities. I am the king of creative procurement. I've managed to scrounge up entire cars over-night with just a few phone calls and creative negotiating.

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2007
    Interesting about the blower falling apart from sucking a rag?

I actually had my GP suck in a small screw through the blower, and actually get into one of the cylinders. the blower survived, the cylinder wall, piston, intake valve did not.

Mike
  • Jstas
    edited June 2007
    The blower didn't fall apart. The rag jammed things up and caused the impeller bearings to go bad. When that happens, the impeller shaft is no longer centered in the housing and the blades contact the housing and shatter. It's called "touch down" I think? I can't remember. It is essentially the blower blowing up because the only thing salvageable at that point is the housing. The guts will cost as much as a new blower. The reason the whole thing is tanked is because after the impeller contacts the housing, the impeller shaft usually bends or cracks. After all, if you are running a belt ratio of 2:1 or 3:1, if you engine is spinning at 5-7,000 RPM, you are spinning that blower at anywhere from 10,000 to 21,000 RPM. That's alot of force at a great deal of velocity and if it contacts anything, the results are catastrophic. That's what happened though. The blower gets out of balance, screams like a stuck pig and doesn't make any boost.

Your Grand Prix has a roots type supercharger and they are much more forgiving but they won't necessarily build as much boost at high RPMs as a centrifugal blower will. Our blower is a centrifugal blower which is essentially a belt-driven turbocharger. Everything entering that intake has to go through essentially 2-3 sets of impeller blades plus an intercooler. Things rarely make it down to the engine and if anything enters the intake, it'll destroy the blades. They are very thin and stiff but brittle unlike the beefy cylindrical impellers in screw-type or roots-type blowers. Keep in mind too about the RPMs that the blower was running at. Most stock blowers don't push more than 10 pounds of boost and they rarely need a drive ratio of more than 1.75:1 to reach that. The blowers are also heavier duty for daily driving and heat cycling and have more durable parts. So they are beefier parts spinning at a slower speed, they are less likely to sustain heavy damage from a foreign object.

Then again, if you aren't breaking stuff, you aren't trying hard enough! Right?

• MikeC78
    edited June 2007
    Jstas,

Thanks for the in-depth explanation! Understood fully from that view point.

When I had my 00' GP GTP, I had the stock blower pulling about 11 lbs of boost. That was with a 3 inch downpipe, aftermarket cat and twin 2 1/2" exhaust. Of course I was running more fuel pressure, 160' stat, and had an open 9" cone intake. The biggest problem we ran into, was "knock ****", an issue of the stock computer and non-intercooled blower getting warm. The only way I was able to temporary get around it was using the 5$ a gal high-octane racing fuel.:(

I ran a respectable 13.4 at 101.X mph, I was proud of that time slip! My 60' were always terrible though.

I thought that was fast, as I smoked the stock T/A running next to me. (maybe not "smoked", but he ran a 13.7:p ) He was pissed!:D I couldn't even imagine running those times you have posted.:o
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    So what are you running for a motor?

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    Mike, I had a 99 GS. Ran a 13.58 @ 98.xx, 1.90 60' with similar mods. Then upgraded to a 3.25" pulley and ran a 13.52 @ 100.36, 1.98 60'. Went down to a 3.1" pulley and had a little meltdown. :D I melted off a ring land and the top ring was lodged into the head, not very pretty.

As for running 8.8 @ 162, that must be wild compared to my C5's 11.0 @ 120.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MikeC78
    edited June 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    So what are you running for a motor?

Ben

My 00' GP GTP had a stock 3.8L surpercharged V6. Pretty much the same engine as my 04', only difference is the 04' has a series III as opposed to the 00' series II engine. Don't know what the difference really is?

Face,

I'd never go below a 3.4 pulley on the GP's without some serious engine modifications or intercooler. The 3.4 is the most ideal pulley modification, best bang for the buck.

Mike
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    My 00' GP GTP had a stock 3.8L surpercharged V6. Pretty much the same engine as my 04', only difference is the 04' has a series III as opposed to the 00' series II engine. Don't know what the difference really is?

Face,

I'd never go below a 3.4 pulley on the GP's without some serious engine modifications or intercooler. The 3.4 is the most ideal pulley modification, best bang for the buck.

Mike
    The Series III has beefier rods and a more efficient supercharger along with a few other small differences(throttle body, etc..).

I went mod crazy in 00, before all the good stuff was available. Now I know better. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche