Just picked up a GPS

Mike682
Mike682 Posts: 2,074
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am new to the GPS scene and decided to check out the Megellan Maestro 3100 on sale at ratshack. I did some research so I knew this unit does not have text to speech (which I didn't think it would matter, see below) and also has a relatively small number of POIs. On the plus side is the price, screen, and that it uses NAVTEQ map system, which according to web reviews is better than Teleatlas.

Review: http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/05/magellan_maestro_3100_indepth.php

First impressions:
This thing really fun to use and has a nice bright screen that is perfectly visible in sunlight. Set-up was easy and fast. The only thing I'm beginning to realize I miss (based on being a GPS newbie and now actually using one) is that this unit doesn't have text to speech. So instead of saying "make a left on tenth street", it will just say "make a left in .5 miles" and then chime when coming up to the turn. I was trying it out around town so I know what streets it is referring to, but there are some areas where the streets are close to each other. I can see how easy it would be to make wrong turn in an unfamiliar neighborhood when you would want to keep an eye on the road and just listen to the voice guidance.

So live and learn. I am still debating whether I should keep it or step up to a higher model with text to speech. Otherwise, I really like it

Anyone else have the same GPS? Or any GPS with features considered to be a must?
Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
Mains: polk R30
Center: polk CSi3
Rear Surrounds: polk R20
Subwoofer: polk PSW404
DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29