Will this cap work for my car???

2»

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited June 2007
    Well put Exalted. I know that it's not everyones cup of tea, but a diesel truck will end most of your power needs. My Super Duty comes stock with a 120 amp alternator and dual, huge batteries that sit at 12.5 volts resting and 14.5 volts while the engine is running. It's just to bad that I am only running speakers in it and no longer really care about care audio. I could power just about anything...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    But how can that be seen as a load? All it does is store energy.

Look at it this way...a glass stores water, but the water has to come from somewhere. If you drink the water it has to be replenished. So, once a cap is discharged it needs energy to recharge...there's your load.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    Josh wrote: »
    Look at it this way...a glass stores water, but the water has to come from somewhere. If you drink the water it has to be replenished. So, once a cap is discharged it needs energy to recharge...there's your load.

This is where this and MacLeods analogies fall short, theres always something going into the glass if theyre not at the same potential, not because the cap is drawing current, but because the thing that is connected to the cap is using the power.

Its not going to draw anymore current than it already would if there was no cap in place. It actually helps the alternator (when used properly) because its not pulling big spikes at one time, its drawing from the capacitor all the while the battery is still being a 'cushion' between the two.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    This is where this and MacLeods analogies fall short, theres always something going into the glass if theyre not at the same potential, not because the cap is drawing current, but because the thing that is connected to the cap is using the power.

Its not going to draw anymore current than it already would if there was no cap in place. It actually helps the alternator (when used properly) because its not pulling big spikes at one time, its drawing from the capacitor all the while the battery is still being a 'cushion' between the two.
    -Cody

It will draw more current albeit not very much. My main contention is that a cap will add resistance to the line as well as an extra current draw.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    I'm surprised Thomas hasnt popped up yet :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2007
    thomas might have died.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Aimen RG
    Aimen RG Posts: 52
    edited December 2007
    Capacitor is a LOAD when being charged only, Agreed

but when does the cap charge itself?
    after the amp asks more power from the alternator/battery, that is when the cap jumps in and provides the power, acts as a source here

later the cap itslef asks for power to get the lost power back, now it is acting as a load.

i hope every one agrees till here?

NOW
    if we look as it from a differant angle, the cap was forced to discharge when the amplifier asked for power, the power YOUR alt/battery could not provide, the power the amp needed to perform properly. by not using a cap, u r actually handycaping your amplifier, u r forcing it to use less power, at the expense of performce of a half a second.

so when a cap acts a load, it actually acts on behalf of the amplifier.
    so if ur amp needs only a lil power here and thr, having a cap to smoothen it out wont hurt anyone. the cap will not act as load by itself.
    Pioneer DEH-1600
    polkaudio db 650
    polkaudio db 675
    polkaudio momo 10"
    KICKER zx650.4
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2007
    power density of a capacitor (1 to 5 farads in size) is pitifully small given a 13.8 V to 14.4 V charge.

none the less, the instantaneous draw or delivery is grossly huge.

given the charge/discharge efficiency of most capacitors, the degree of suffrage put upon the charging system subsequent to discharge is roughly 35% greater than the power delivered to the amplifiers in time of need.

no matter how you look at it, a cap is a parasite. albeit a needed one. i say again, caps are essential with modern amplifiers of significant size, given switching power supplies.

that being said, they are by no means a substitute or even a band-aid for an inadequate charging / power storage system.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge