exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    Biggest in 'mass' production yes.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited June 2007
    that is ridiculous.... with that much mass that speaker can not possibly do anything except puke out monotone mush bass. I hope they did not think that that thing sounded good.

But sadly i guess that is what society sees today, the louder and the more bass the better, quality does not matter anymore. sad really :(
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2007
    Pretty sad when people confuse loud with sounding good...... something can be loud and sound good, but I think that is not the case here.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2007
    i saw the episode.... 130 db isn't impressive at all considering it took 6k watts and a jackhammer to do it.

guys have hit 130 with two 500 watt tens before, all day long... and they're rigs that can go from 'burping' to 'decent sound quality for daily driving' in a minute.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited June 2007
    I have seen that before and others have commented on how it doesn't sound very good.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    Its not meant to sound good or be in production. Its simply a PR piece to show off at car shows and things like Pimp My Ride.

MTX makes some of the best subs on the market - they just wanted to do something totally over the top for the hell of it. Kinda like Rockford Fosgate with their 15,000 watt amp.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    they just wanted to do something totally over the top for the hell of it. Kinda like Rockford Fosgate with their 15,000 watt amp.

Have to disagree with you there. That amp is an engineering break through and will lead to many, much smaller amps that pull next to nothing as far as current goes. My 4000w amp has a 500A fuse, the 15k4 has something like a 200A fuse. They said in the next few years theyll have prototype amps that you would be able to plug into a cigarette lighter and power a pair of 10s. The MTX is a 'cuz i can, the RF is actually going to help them with an entire new line of products.
    -Cody
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2007
    i saw the episode.... 130 db isn't impressive at all considering it took 6k watts and a jackhammer to do it.

guys have hit 130 with two 500 watt tens before, all day long... and they're rigs that can go from 'burping' to 'decent sound quality for daily driving' in a minute.

I read somewhere that this was because that was the limit for their SPL meter.
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there. That amp is an engineering break through and will lead to many, much smaller amps that pull next to nothing as far as current goes. My 4000w amp has a 500A fuse, the 15k4 has something like a 200A fuse. They said in the next few years theyll have prototype amps that you would be able to plug into a cigarette lighter and power a pair of 10s. The MTX is a 'cuz i can, the RF is actually going to help them with an entire new line of products.
    -Cody

I also read that...this is actually something that will be very nice once it trickles down.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,660
    edited June 2007
    I saw that a while back on pimp my ride.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2007
    ... the jackhammer was a production unit (to some extent) -- you could buy them off mitekfactoryoutlet.com straight from mtx.

... amps will never draw next to nothing. there is a direct and impossible to surmount relation between output power and input power. if you want to put out 4000 watts rms, even if the amp is 100% efficient, you'll draw at least 320 watts. you cannot defy physics. and if you say you can, you're a ****.

right now, the bestest of the best amplifiers are pushing somewhere in the low 90% efficiency range. that being said, even if you did create a 100% efficient unit, you would only be using 10% less current than you are now. so don't get all 'happy go lucky' about that.

the fact that they built a 15k watt amp that actually works and isn't a 'bomb waiting to go off' is the accomplishment. the thermal obstacles, pcb layout, and power tolerances of the component parts is the big accomplishment that they made.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited June 2007
    Seen that episode myself. I personally thought it would be louder than 130db.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2007
    This was sent to our CS department last week regarding a db212:

"hi , i have one of these box in my car, and i was thinking, what is the highest
    db you have registered.

the reason for this quiestion is last weekend i got 146,8 db wiht open door,
    only problem was the amp dieed, needed more power, tbe db was still riseing."

Pardon the spelling.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited June 2007
    Holy crap. Thats quite impressive.

Did he mention which amp he used?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2007
  • exalted512
    edited June 2007
    Well, without knowing what mic it is...
    -Cody
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2007
    It's your mom's mic....
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2007
    daaaaaaaaammmmnnnnnn!!!!!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    edited June 2007
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2007
    josh, correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't one of your fellow polkie installers (perhaps thom i believe) get something like 140-ish with a couple of the old GNX er... i dunno... whatever those funny looking ones that replaced the DX were... not the cheesey grey cone ones, but the black cone with like silver 'dimples' in it and the odd dust cap. now that was a sub that -- no offense -- sucked in my opinion, yet with a very simple (from what i remember) and well done install, it nailed a 140 something in legitimate competition (or at least testing if i remember correctly).

hence. 130 isn't all a big deal at all with a 22 inch 5,000 watt sub.
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2007
    130 isnt that impressive a number in the SPL lanes but consider this:

This is a big **** sub but it was probably not in an ideal enclosure. It was probably sealed on top of that. Add to that the fact that they were playing music and not 40 Hz burps, they had both the doors open and the mic was placed in the middle of the car. USACi for instance, places the mic in the floorboard. Mike placement plays a HUGE part in SPL numbers.

So you take that sub and stick it in a ported, SPL enclosure, give it 10,000+ watts, put the mike where itll read the best and play a sine bomb thru it and I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that it would hit 160 pretty solidly.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2007
    whos mike?
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2007
    Yo mamma!

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2007
    they were running it infinite baffle... trunk was the enclosure, and i doubt the trunk was properly reinforced, because if it was, then the trunk would never open, and i believe his trunk did open.

ps -- i feel bad for the kid who's car they did that to -- how the f*** are you gonna drive around with a goddamn 300 pound sub in your backseat. jesus.
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited June 2007
    not to mention the horrible gas mileage he's going to be getting.
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    I was really disappointed to see it inverted... I mean I can see them wanting to show it off, but c'mon. He could have had a backseat but by doing that they totally screwed him over for that option. That, and think of how many people will want to steal the car once they see he has a giant sub in the back.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2007
    it weighs as much as a short block... i doubt they can just pick it up and run away with it... have to take the whole car... but who wants a 1985 olds cutlass.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    I mean take the entire car. Not exactly a car that's worthy of taking, but things happen.