A great night for baseball fans.

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Last night, my best friend and I went to the first game of Ken Griffey Jr's triumphant return to Seattle. We've had the tickets for well over a month now. This had been a much anticipated event. The local media is calling last nights game THE social event of the season for Seattle.

It was one of the most amazing baseball experiences I've had. The only other night that tops this is going to the 1993 All Star game in Baltimore, but last night, for a normal mid season non-rivalry game, was incredible. I knew it beforehand, and its been reaffirmed since, but I would have deeply regretted missing this game had I not gone. We got to the stadium about 2 hours before the first pitch. There were at least 15,000 already waiting to get into the stadium. I've never seen that before at a baseball game.

Our first stop was the Mariner's team store. Before the series, Griffey had autographed 1000 specially marked baseballs issued by Rawlings celebrating his return. They all had a special logo stamped onto them, and all proceeds from the $100 balls went to benefit children's hospitals in Seattle, Cincy and Orlando. Long story short, I got the last one there. Everyone there was waiting to buy a ball. I honestly am suprised that they weren't gone before then. He only signed 1000 of them. Then we go to our seats, watch Jr. take batting practice, and I get the last ball sold by one of the merchandise vendors on the concourse. Lady luck was on my side that night. Out of 1000 balls, I got two!

So, game time approaches. Well before the first pitch, the stadium is at capacity. The Mariners had a pregame ceremony for Griffey. There was the typical video montage highlighting all the incredible plays Griffey had made while playing for Seattle. Then the front office staff introduced him, and brought out Jay Buhner and Edgar Martinez (two other Mariner greats) to share their thoughts about their time playing with Griffey. Then it was time for Griffey to address the crowd, and he did so clearly from the heart. It was very moving. He later acknowledged that he had to take several deep breaths to keep from crying. He called Seattle his true home and said he had no idea it would feel so great to be back for the first time.

There was some unjustified concern that the Seattle fans would boo Griffey mercilessly. When Alex Rodriguez played his first game in Seattle after leaving for the Texas Rangers and $25 million per year, the fans gave him a well deserved heckling, booing, and tauting, that we have somewhat become notorious for. Anyways, point being, Seattle loves Griffey and he received a 3 and a half minute long standing ovation. For those unfamiliar to the story, essentially Griffey is Seattle's first superstar and he is unquestionably the main reason that Safeco Field was built and that professional baseball exists in Seattle at all.

So there you have it. I realize there might not be a lot of baseball fans on this forum, but I think if you are a fan of sports at all you would understand. It truly was a magical evening. It doesn't get much better than that.

And about the balls. My wife told me I couldn't get one. So, I got two. One is going on ebay to hopefully pay for both of them. Link to the auction is here. Shameless self promotion over.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited June 2007
    Who won the game? How'd Griffey do?
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    Griffey was 1 for 5 I believe. He had a single past first and a run in his first at bat. After that he struck out three times. We left the game early, and at that point the Reds were winning 16-1.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited June 2007
    I respect Ken Griffey a lot. One of the few players out there who hasn't sullied his name in the steroid scandal, and every one of those 582 longballs he has are 100% un-juiced goodness. Top of his game, and a true player.

I wish him and the Reds luck for the rest of the season.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    I think Richy Sexton stole the show.

I wish it was Griffey who was gunning for Hank's record.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited June 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    I think Richy Sexton stole the show.

I wish it was Griffey who was gunning for Hank's record.

Don't we all.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    Cool! I saw that on local news!

I went up for the Rangers game where they honored Rodriguez. It was pretty cool.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2007
    A great player and a classy guy. Injuries took a lot away from what is still a great career.
    Carl

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    One of the few current true power hitters. Actually, Griffey hit 2 homers today.

Edgar was a great hitter too. He was the only reason why I supported the DH position.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    Refefer wrote: »
    I respect Ken Griffey a lot. One of the few players out there who hasn't sullied his name in the steroid scandal, and every one of those 582 longballs he has are 100% un-juiced goodness. Top of his game, and a true player.

I wish him and the Reds luck for the rest of the season.

Heck, Griffey only recently started lifting weights. But yes, there is no doubt that he is totally clean.
  • KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,199
    edited June 2007
    Yeah Griffey is amazing. Its a shame that he got hurt so much. Those Seattle Mariners were a fun team with Griffey, Arod, Buhner. So were my home team the Rangers back then.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited June 2007
    Great post..I've always like Griffey..

Why does everyone hate A-Rod though? Give me $25 mil and I'll go anywhere you tell me..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    I remember that news conference with Arod when he signed that huge contract. He looked like he felt bad about making so much money.

Anyway, Arod is on fire this year. He's getting some good looks and the ball is jumping off his bat
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    krabby5 wrote: »
    Great post..I've always like Griffey..

Why does everyone hate A-Rod though? Give me $25 mil and I'll go anywhere you tell me..

Seattle hates ARod because his is disingenuous. During his walk year, he said he really wanted to remain a Mariner. Later is was revealed that he and his agent had no plans whatsoever about staying in Seattle. He said he wanted to play for a winning team more than anything. The M's won 116 games the first year without him while his team finished dead last in the AL West. ARod is about as phony as you can get. The treatment he receives in Seattle is pretty well earned.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited June 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Seattle hates ARod because his is disingenuous. During his walk year, he said he really wanted to remain a Mariner. Later is was revealed that he and his agent had no plans whatsoever about staying in Seattle. He said he wanted to play for a winning team more than anything. The M's won 116 games the first year without him while his team finished dead last in the AL West. ARod is about as phony as you can get. The treatment he receives in Seattle is pretty well earned.

Exactly. Being a Northwesterner, the thing that always stuck with me about Rod was he kept saying 'its not about the money, its not about the money, I want to stay in Seattle, blah blah.' He could have received more money than any human deserves in Seattle, and play for a first place team. Instead he went to the last place Rangers. And you could put him side by side with a class act like Edgar, or even Buhner.

I'll always remember the Edgar double to left field, with Griffey STEAMING from first base to score the winning run against the Yankees. The play that built Safeco. Wow.