Need some investment advice for my parents

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
My father has a PSP (personal savings plan) working for General Motors and has a few hundred thousand dollars tied up in it right now in GM stock. We told him years ago to diversify his portfolio but he never listened. The one plus of the PSP is it's tax deferred until you withdraw from it but that's the only thing it has going for it. GM doesn't match a cent of what he contributes so I'm trying to convince him to look elsewhere for retirement. Now, the bad part is my father will be 62 in a few months and my mother will be 57. My father should be retiring in the next few months so he won't be contributing to his PSP. Another thing to factor in is how volatile GM's stock is. A few years ago it hit over $70 a share. About a year ago it was down to $20 a share (my mother almost had a heart attack!) and now it's floating around $36, going up about $6 in the last 2 weeks.

With that, what would you recommend my parents do? I'm not very investment savvy so I've come to the best for advice! I'm not sure if it's too late to start a 401k or Roth IRA? Another thing to consider is if my parents were to sell their GM stock they would get taxed heavily if they withdrew it all at once, something my father said he'd like to avoid. He makes over $100k a year so I'm not sure if taking it all out would put him in a much higher tax bracket or not? His initial idea was to hold onto GM stock forever, selling a little here and there to supplement their income (they'll stick get SS and my father's pension) and avoiding jumping up into the next tax bracket. However, I'm not sure if that's the best approach to take.

Well, I'm working on a few hours of sleep and apologize if this was jumbled. I appreciate any help you can give me for my parents! :)
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2007
    Meet and interview several investment advisors and let them deal with this headache.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited June 2007
    A couple simple guidelines: Diversify............Never have all your eggs in one basket....I have more than my fair share of friends that worked with Enron and lost their asses.

Roth IRAs are excellent vehicles for those with nice income to use since you can invest after tax dollars until you are 70 into a Roth and all growth is tax free. 13 years of nice growth and investment would be great.

Get someone that wants to teach your folks about different types of investing, not sell them insurance/annuities plans that they commision from.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited June 2007
    buy low...sell high

are you looking for long term ?

have you considered bonds/cd`s ?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool: