Oh great....

T_Unit616
T_Unit616 Posts: 131
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I bought a 4-channel amp. And I believe my CD player is only two channel. Which means, I can only run two subs off it right? Because when I put the third in, it moves up and down a little bit. So do I need to get a 4-channel CD player? Also, what Frequeny should I have all the channels on (All, Hi or Lo)?
Post edited by T_Unit616 on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited June 2007
    dipends on what u are running out of them, if u want.. front rear and sub, u DO need a 3 chan to have all of them powered correctly.

But there are some ways around it.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • T_Unit616
    edited June 2007
    dipends on what u are running out of them, if u want.. front rear and sub, u DO need a 3 chan to have all of them powered correctly.

But there are some ways around it.

I am running 2 600 watt subs, and 1 100 watt sub off of a 1600 watt amp. Front rear and sub? Not quite sure. Could you maybe elaborate on that? Also on a way around it....
  • T_Unit616
    edited June 2007
    Well, it's a POS CD player my sisters BF got when it was my sisters car. So I kept it. Here is a link to it: http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Durabrand-Car-CD-Player-AM-FM-Receiver-DB1200
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    It doesn't have anything to do with the number of preouts on the deck. Music is two channel, so you don't need a deck that'll do 5.1 or anything fancy. It depends more on your amplifier -- does it have seperate gains for each channel? If not then you might consider not mixing two different subs or perhaps buying a second amp for the odd one out of the bunch. It might actually sound better with the odd one not even in the mix.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    First off, get rid of the 100 watt sub. Run the matched pair.

2nd, you can buy a Y splitter to split the outputs of the cd player from 2 to 4.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    I've tried mixing subs and it never seems to add any good to it (aside from adding a little bit of spl that isn't needed to begin with).

If you really really want to run all three, do as mac says and get yourself a splitter. You'll have to play with the gains (the level knob as in the picture you sent me) to calibrate it. This would probably be best done with an spl meter that can be had at Radioshack for $40? Trust me, spl meters are handy if you want to do any sort of level calibration.

Depends at what end you want to put the Y cable but if you want to go on the amp side of things you can just use two of these. It's probably easier to do it that way rather than run another set of rca's from the headunit.
    ycable.gif

I don't know what's a good starting palce for the high and low pass filters (the knobs labelled hpf / lpf) since I have no idea what your subs are or the rest of your gear and probably don't have any experience with them anyways so you'll have to play around with that yourself and see what sounds best to you.

Picture001.jpg
  • T_Unit616
    edited June 2007
    Ok, so if I get rid of the 100 watt sub, then I can just use what I have and run the 2 10's. Thanks guys.