Blu-Ray on the up and up!

scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited June 2007 in Music & Movies
Blockbuster Favors Blu-ray
Consumers have spoken, and they're not renting HD-DVD.
by Daemon Hatfield
June 18, 2007 - Today Blockbuster announced it is expanding its offering of Blu-Ray movies from its initial 250 stores (which stock both Blu-ray and HD-DVD) to 1,700 locations. The HD-DVD format is not receiving the same boost in supply. Both formats will continue to be available online and from the initial 250 stores that introduced the high-definition formats last year.

Blockbuster said the decision to multiply its Blu-ray stock by almost seven times its initial offering was made based on consumer demand.

"We intend to meet the demands of our customers and based on the trends we're seeing, we're expanding our Blu-ray inventory to ensure our stores reflect the right level of products," said Matthew Smith, SVP Merchandising for Blockbuster. "While it is still too early to say which high-definition format will become the industry standard, we will continue to closely monitor customer rental patterns both at our stores and online, so we can adjust our inventory mix accordingly and ensure that Blockbuster is offering customers the most convenient access to the movies they want, in the format they want."

Blu-ray rentals are significantly outpacing those of HD-DVD at Blockbuster. The retailer says it can "add HD-DVD to more locations if that's what customers tell us they want."

Beyond movies, the Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats are associated with Sony's PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360, respectively. A win in the format wars for Sony would be a win for the PlayStation 3. Blockbuster is the leader in the movie rental market, and the support it is giving to Sony's format is good news for the struggling PS3 (which many owners joke they currently use more for movie-viewing than gaming).

I have a small collection going, recently watched Ghost Rider and had a grin from ear to ear. Can't wait to unlock Lossless soundtracks. I did not know BB was renting HD's, then again i don't rent from them.
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• fbwinners
    fbwinners Posts: 26
    edited June 2007
    What is odd to me is Sony just released the new HDDVD camcorder and you only can play the dvd's on HDDVD players and Sony at this time isn't making HDDVD player. Go figure.
    TV - TOSHIBA 47LZ196
    FRONTS - RTI10'S
    CENTER - CSI5
    SUB - PSW 404
    SURROUND - RC8OI
    AV RECEIVER - ONKYO TXSR 804B
    HDDVD - TOSHIBA HDA2
    SACD/CD/DVD CHANGER - YAMAHA DVC6770
  • Gary Batson
    Gary Batson Posts: 124
    edited June 2007
    Sony has a cool name for their format. That's whats selling it. Personally, I think Sony is too big for it's britches and has too much control of the market. I'm pulling for the other guys.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2007
    Sony has a cool name for their format. That's whats selling it. Personally, I think Sony is too big for it's britches and has too much control of the market. I'm pulling for the other guys.
    Actually the name was considered a negative, because it would be confusing to the consumer market. Now it sort of stands on its own.
    Anyway, ya F Sony and their big britches.;)
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2007
    This is good news for the BR fans. I wonder what Toshiba has to say about this?

Never use Blockbuster anyway, Netflix all the way for me who carries both formats!

Even is HD DVD goes away, my XA1 isn't going anywhere for awhile. It's a superb DVD player anyway, and my PS3 is here to stay till they come out with a stand alone that is worth a ****.