Stray dog

AndyGwis
AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
I think there was a thread started a while back about someone finding a stray dog.

I saw a Pit Bull wandering around my neighborhood last Thursday. Didn't think too much of it.

Then, today (5 days later), my girlfriend has found the same dog wandering around outside in our apartment complex's parking lot. . . albeit much skinnier. Our apartment complex doesn't allow them, so it's no one's from here. Also means I can't hold onto it for long.

I'll keep it for the evening, but have no idea what the best plan is for tomorrow. Do I contact the local shelter? Do I post pictures and try to find its owner? No collar or ID. Looks to be a pure-bred American Pit Bull, nice brown color, probably less than a year old.

Also, we lured it close with a hamburger (which was wolfed down in about 20 seconds) to get a leash on it. Have some dog food, but I don't want to overfeed it.

Open to any advice. I'd snap a picture of it and post, but a late night flash might not be a great idea for a dog that's already scared out of its mind.
Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
Post edited by AndyGwis on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    Call Animal Control or take him to a local vet to see if he has a chip.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • AndyGwis
    edited June 2007
    How about for the evening? I'm guessing he's survived four hot Dallas days, so staying on my first floor balcony for one evening probably won't be too bad.

He hasn't touched the water bowl I gave him, but he gobbled up a hamburger and half cup of dog food real quickly.

Is it okay to feed him another half cup? He looks famished, but I'm guessing overfeeding him wouldn't be the best thing to do.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2007
    I'd wait on the food for a bit but leave the water for him there. Find a no kill shelter if you are going to call someone. Otherwise, hold on to him and put a ton of flyers out.

I found two dogs roaming a main street here last week and we pulled over, picked them up (after chasing them for 6 blocks lol) and put them in our back yard. One had a collar and a number so I kept trying to get a hold of the owner who didn't come till morning. It was fun having a couple puppies around though. Cute lil guys.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2007
    If he's a pit bull pup, 2 cups of dry per day isn't unreasonable. Just don't give it to him all at once.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    Toxis wrote: »
    I'd wait on the food for a bit but leave the water for him there. Find a no kill shelter if you are going to call someone. Otherwise, hold on to him and put a ton of flyers out.

I agree with this....I wouldn't feed him too much, he may already leave a mess on your balcony because he is not used to eating anything, much less what you have given him at this point....I had the same problem with one of mine when I got her back from those abusive ****....Leave the water out there with him, I bet it will be gone in the morning...Get a hold of a local shelter or rescue, they will be able to get the dog to a place to get scanned for a chip..
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited June 2007
    Andy,
    Not sure where in DFW you are but if you can't find a No Kill shelter, take him to Cottonwood Animal Clinic, 14055 Waterfall Way, Dallas (just south of Richardson to the east of Coit & Spring Valley Rd), 469-330-0357. Dr. Helmet Block will take care of him.
  • AndyGwis
    edited June 2007
    Cottonwood Animal Clinic

I may try this one. It's pretty close to me.

I fed him another half cup of dry food late last night, then woke up this morning, fed and walked (dragged) him. Hoped someone would say "I know that dog," or see a flier or something. No luck.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    That's a very nice thing you did. Someone may be looking for him. I hope he has a chip. Most newspapers will laet you post Found ads for free.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited June 2007
    Andy, Operation Kindness 972-418-PAWS. They are probably the biggest no kill animal shelter in the area(at least they advertise the most).
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    Also look at the inside of his ears for tatoo marks, some folk's have their dog tatooed there for identification.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AndyGwis
    edited June 2007
    Might do that. His ears have been eaten pretty raw on some parts from being outside the past 4+ days. So, I'm not sure how much I want to be playing around with his ears. Very mild dog, but Pit Bulls have a rep for a reason, and this one is probably pretty traumatized at this point.

I went ahead and bought a crate / kennel so he could be inside. Nothing deserves to be outside all day in the Texas heat.

Still trying to find a local No Kill shelter that will take him in. Have to fly out of town for a wedding this weekend, so need to do it in the next day or two.

Here's a pic. Good looking dog, despite everything. Scared as hell, tho.
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited June 2007
    +1 to you for all your generousity and kindness to the lil' guy!! Hope that you are able to find the owners or find a local No Kill shelter to take him.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited June 2007
    I say +100 for what you are doing. I can only imagine what this poor dog has gone through. I know you said you can't keep him but please don't turn him over to animal control; I feel they would probably put him to sleep. I will be gone for a few hours this afternoon but if you want to email me, I'll be glad to help you find some phone numbers to places that can take him.

Something told me not to read this message and I should have listened!

Cindy
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    Andy your doing a awsome job taking care of the pup. Hope you can find the owners or a nice home for him.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2007
    Flies have been nipping at his ears. My dog was like that when I first got her, chewed up and scared, everything healed up in time and she turned out to be an awsome dog after some TLC.

You can also pay a kennel to hold em for the weekend.
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited June 2007
    you never know, he might be licensed and slipped the collar. you might try calling some local police departments, shelters maybe even vets to ask if anyone reported a missing dog or was looking for him. we found the owner of a beagle within a day this way years ago. good thing, that dog was a terror and wasn't going to stay with us for long.

for the water, some animals just don't like water from the tap. we had a cat that wouldn't drink from the stainless bowl unless he was desperate and it sat long enough to get some of that good uh, natural (?) birdbath flavor. good luck.

)
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2007
    Kudos to ya Andy! You're showing alot of heart by what you're doing. Darla is right about the newspaper suggestion.. I work at one and all ads for found or lost pets are free.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2007
    Good for you, I hope he gets a good home.

Do the chip check because both my dogs have them. Chips are a great way to get a dog back to it's owner.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • AndyGwis
    edited June 2007
    Honestly, I don't think the owner is trying real hard to get the dog back. No posters / fliers up in the neighborhood, it's been roaming around for 5 days in the same area, and I think I've seen this dog walking with it's owner in the past.

It's not handling the food well at all. Even if I only give it a half cup, it makes it's way out in under an hour, and never in solid form. Might be a sick pup :(

Still doing what I can to find some accomodations for him.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited June 2007
    If he is sick, upset stomach from lack of eating or otherwise, you can feed him cooked rice, boiled eggs, mild cheeses, or turkey. It helps their stomach settle down. Their crap smells worse, but at least it isn't everywhere if they go in the house on accident.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • auto_pilot
    auto_pilot Posts: 256
    edited June 2007
    This is how I found my former Pit Bull Rocky...he was a hungry puppy that was wandering for a few weeks.

And it looks like you are getting attached...

Despite what the media says...Pit Bulls can be very people friendly.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2007
    I believe dogs are the victims of their enviroment.

People make bad dogs.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think the owner is trying real hard to get the dog back. No posters / fliers up in the neighborhood, it's been roaming around for 5 days in the same area, and I think I've seen this dog walking with it's owner in the past.

It's not handling the food well at all. Even if I only give it a half cup, it makes it's way out in under an hour, and never in solid form. Might be a sick pup :(

Still doing what I can to find some accomodations for him.

He may not be sick, but food may be a shock to his system at this point....Like you said, he has been wondering for five days.....When I got one of the foster dogs back after she was abandoned, she had a problem dropping anything solid for about a week....All I could do was feed her and put her outside until she shot it out, so to say....Stay away from wet food too, this will really get the projectile dookie flowing...Chances are he was abused and not fed before you came across him wondering the first time, much less five days later, so who really knows the last time he had a normal meal...Also, feed him at the same time (or about) every day, it will help keep him regular...You may want to get a hold of a shelter though, they will give him a check-up....
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2007
    good on you man.
  • AndyGwis
    edited June 2007
    Quick update. Dog was taken to the vet yesterday for check up. He's in good overall shape given everything he's been through. We also found a home for him. So, ended up going pretty well. . . all things considered.

Now the bad side. . . the "bug bites" on his ears weren't bug bites, they were fleas and flea eggs. So, we had to clean, wash, and de-flea just about everything in our apartment. Also, I've gotten so little sleep the last few nights that I'm sick today. But, I guess it's all worth it in the long run. Nothing hurt too bad, and he's got a good home now.
  • auto_pilot
    auto_pilot Posts: 256
    edited June 2007
    Glad to here the dog found a home...

Lavender spray is a good flear repellent...and word to the wise. Fleas don't just go away. We hired a professional with an organic solution...worked like charm. However, we suffered for 3 weeks before we called the professionals.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    You just banked LOADS of good Karma Andy! Well done on a very good deed!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2