ATTN: R/C Plan Enthusiasts

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    I'm glad to see y'all are enjoying this.

:p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    pretty cool. Tunnels have allot of breeze currents. I notice that it was a lot easier to fly outside the tunnel. Thanks for the short cut.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited June 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I'm glad to see y'all are enjoying this.

:p

Smart....

Well ya know where I'm going with that...

:D

I quite enjoyed the link you posted. My brother just two weeks ago crashed his R/C helicopter. Fun times.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited June 2007
    I have been working on my remote controlled sail boat the past few weekends and I am taking it to a friends house on the Wye River this weekend. First time it has been out of my basement in about 6 years. I can't tell you how many times people asked me what kind of motor it had in it. I would say, "No motor just wind". I would get looks of disbelief.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    As I was reading your post I was asking, "Does it have a motor for propulsion, or just a motor to turn the sails?"

Wow, that's pretty awesome. You have to take some pics, if not videos!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited June 2007
    It has 2 servo's. 1 to let the sails out or trim them back in and the 2nd to control the rudder for steering. It is modeled after an 1990's ish Americas Cup boat. It is 3 feet long and @ 5 feet tall from the keel bulb to the top of the mast. I think it is called a CR 914. It was a kit that I built in the late 1990's.

Maybe I can get a few shots this weekend. Any other picture I have of it is on regular 35mm film. But a video may also be cool.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited June 2007
    It has 2 servo's. 1 to let the sails out or trim them back in and the 2nd to control the rudder for steering. It is modeled after an 1990's ish Americas Cup boat. It is 3 feet long and @ 5 feet tall from the keel bulb to the top of the mast. I think it is called a CR 914. It was a kit that I built in the late 1990's.

Maybe I can get a few shots this weekend. Any other picture I have of it is on regular 35mm film. But a video may also be cool.

Father and son Father's day weekend and we had a blast.
    A few pictures of my R/C boat from last weekend. We sailed this boat for at least 4 hours.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Dude, that is so awesome!!

It even almost looks real in a few of those. How fast can it get up to going? I guess it's a bit more relaxing that piloting a powered boat.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited June 2007
    The real amazing part is how much it reacts like a real sailboat. It is also super responsive to any rudder input. It actually goes pretty fast, my guess is @ 5 knots. Scaled that is way off the charts. Even the wake it pulls is amazingly realistic.

It has never failed in drawing a positive response. My buddy's wife pulled me aside and said that she needed to talk to me because she wanted to buy 2 of them for her husband and his father.

I could sail the thing for hours at a time. It will certainly be a lot more fun if some other people had boats to sail at the same time. There are clubs to race this class of R/C boat but I am married. You know that story. I am slowly working on getting my kids into going on our full scale boat right know. So far it is working pretty good.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited June 2007
    That was some impressive flying. I noticed things got pretty turbulent when the van pulled in front of them. I'm fairly confident that I could have flown my Sig Four-Star through there, but I guess I'll never know.:D
    Father and son Father's day weekend and we had a blast.
    A few pictures of my R/C boat from last weekend. We sailed this boat for at least 4 hours.

That actually looks like a lot of fun. R/C boats is the only R/C hobby I can think of that I have yet to get in to. I might have to go check them out at the hobby shop tomorrow.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited June 2007
    Another good shot. You can see the rudder and keel.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2007
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Frank Z wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow, that was phenomenal.

I can't begin to say how my heart was doing flips when he 'lost' it!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2007
    Frank, that was awesome. Thanks. A freakin' B-29.
  • cmy330go
    edited June 2007
    We used to have a large R/C airshow here, where I got to see a huge B-29 like that fly a few times. In fact I'm not too sure it wasn't the same exact one. I can't imagine there being that many of those around.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    That was awesome.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • cmy330go
    edited June 2007
    Besides MillerLiteScott is there anyone else here that is into R/C is some way shape or form?

I personally am into Planes, Cars/Trucks, and just took my first step into helicopters.
    HT

2 CH
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    I've been into cars/trucks off and on for a while. I got a Traxxas TMaxx for xmas a few years ago.

That was loads of fun, but unfortunatley I'm more 'off' than on right now. Just don't usually have enough time to devote to getting it out, starter charged up, air-filter cleaned, glow-plug checked/replaced, then try to start it and tune it so it runs right AND then have time to run it.

But boy, when it's running...it's a blast!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cmy330go
    edited June 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I've been into cars/trucks off and on for a while. I got a Traxxas TMaxx for xmas a few years ago.

That was loads of fun, but unfortunatley I'm more 'off' than on right now. Just don't usually have enough time to devote to getting it out, starter charged up, air-filter cleaned, glow-plug checked/replaced, then try to start it and tune it so it runs right AND then have time to run it.

But boy, when it's running...it's a blast!!

TMaxx is a great truck. I have an HPI Savage 25 which is very similar to the TMaxx. I probably enjoy it the most of all my trucks/buggy just because I can run it anywhere. When it comes to the track though it's hard to beat the 1/8 scale buggy.
    HT

2 CH
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited June 2007
    i have been active with rc airplanes for about 20 years. We used to own a piper pa-28 warrior but the cost versus use became too much. Still loving airplanes rc was the only way I could still stay in touch. My preference is large scale but anything with a 60 + " wing span will do. mostly due to old eyes and seeing the damn thing and all that. Futaba radios, sachs dolmar engines and anything with two wings we can make a day of it. Building from scratch is fun and rewarding but i do own some arf's for getting into the air quickly. We have several nice fields with 15 miles of the house and work. Not an everyday hobby anymore since the kids have grown but we do still enjoy a weekend a month with the birds and some grillin' and fillin' afterwards. i did get into helicopters for awhile but prefer the flight characteristics of stunt airplanes.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • cmy330go
    edited June 2007
    BAD ASP wrote: »
    ....My preference is large scale but anything with a 60 + " wing span will do.....

I agree. Not so much because of eye sight, but because anything smaller than that is just not fun to fly if there is any wind. It just gets annoying.
    HT

2 CH
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited June 2007
    your right about flying small models on windy days. My flying buddies and I used to take our our old beat to crap stuff to practice landings on really windy days. My old aeormaster bipe would actually land with 0 rollout. It was a real dance to get her down but we generated a lot of healthy laughs, all in all it was actually more fun in a lot of ways. with rubber banded wings and landing gear you really had to screw the pooch to mess up the bird. Mostly props but those are really getting expensive too. I haven't really gotten into the new style of flying that involves really low altitude hovering etc. It looks to be a lot like our windy flying insanity only with nice clean looking models. My aircraft of choice are anything scale with two wings, anything else with two wings and scale models. My favorite aerobat is the Laser or the extra 300 followed by the trusty Aeromaster with a supertiger 2000.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60