Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses....

jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
On second thought, just cheap sunglasses (I can't pull of Rhinestones anymore..) Anyone know of a good site that offers brand name sunglasses at a decent price? I'd like to pick up a new pair of raybans, but am tired of sitting on/losing 100$ glasses. I'd feel much better about my destructive habits if they cost a bit less :cool:

Recs?
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2007
    The only kind I've ever owned....
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2007
    By the way, this thread brings up an interesting point.... are those $100 sunglasses (or more!) really any better than my $15 ones? I've NEVER spent more than $15 on a watch or a pair of sunglasses. The watch tells the right time, and the glasses keep my eyes from burning. Am I missing some major part of our materialistic society? Should I care?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2007
    I've found good deals on sierratradingpost.com as well as on campmor.com in their "Hot Deals" section. Sierra Trading Post whould have a bigger selection, from Costa del Mar and Serengeti to the edgier styles like Spy and Anarachy. They also have incredible service.

Here you go:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/4374_Sunglasses.html
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    I never spend more than 15 on a pair of sunglasses either. I alwyas end up losing them long before they break from being cheap. The only concern I'd have over cheap ones is if they don't block UV enough, you could be damaging your eyes a little bit.

As for watches, what kind of watch do you get for 15 bucks? A Casio out of a gumball machine?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2007
    nadams wrote: »
    By the way, this thread brings up an interesting point.... are those $100 sunglasses (or more!) really any better than my $15 ones? I've NEVER spent more than $15 on a watch or a pair of sunglasses. The watch tells the right time, and the glasses keep my eyes from burning. Am I missing some major part of our materialistic society? Should I care?

Try on a set of sunglasses with good polarized lenses and go out into a bright day. Takes the glare down quite a bit and makes the colors a lot "truer". My eyes don't seem to adjust to well to really bright conditions; poloraized glasses really help.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    I have a pair of ~$120 Gargoyle sunglasses. But, since I wear glasses for vision correction and my sunglasses aren't prescription, I probably haven't worn them twice in the last year.

As for expensive sunglasses and watches... No, for the most part, a more expensive one isn't going to be 'better' in that the cheap ones will still allow you to see in sunny conditions more comfortably and tell you what time it is. The style, feel, social 'status', and ruggedness all come into play, but it's 98% personal preference.

I personally like nice things. That includes watches, sunglasses, shoes, pocket knives, audio equipment, etc.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited June 2007
    The clarity, contrast, and haze/glare filtering ability of a pair of good quality sunglasses is noticeably better than any pair of $15 shades I've ever seen. I spend good money on sunglasses, but take care of them and use the for years.
    Currently, I have a pair of Serengeti's (~$100) that I've had for 5+ years and they almost exclusively stay in the car. I also have 2 pair of Raybans that I spent approx $60 on each about 4 years ago. One pair in my briefcase, the other in my wife's van. Before that, I went through a pair of decent sunglasses every 3-4 years since I was old enough to buy my first pair.

A good watch is worth investing in too. I've been wearing the same ESQ watch for 6+ years. I've changed the battery twice. Its still waterproof, and keeps time accurate to the second. I re-synchronize every 6 months with the US atomic clock and its never more than a few seconds off.

To me, life is too short to look out at the world though **** sunglasses.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good site that offers brand name sunglasses at a decent price? I'd like to pick up a new pair of raybans, but am tired of sitting on/losing 100$ glasses.

I've worn Ray-Bans exclusively for many years...either Wayfarers or Aviators. I have to have good sunglasses. I can't stand the cheap ones. There was another style I really liked but they quit making them a few years back. I usually am able to find them at most discount sunglass stores (like Sunglass Hut). Not cheap...but 25-35% off retail. It's sort of hit or miss but they can be found. I have yet to find a good online source for Ray-Bans.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited June 2007
    Meant to mention, REI Outlet usually has some pretty good deals on closeout sunglasses. Maybe not the most popular pairs, but good quality none the less.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/outlet_home/Sunglasses?cm_re=4pack*4pack*Sunglasses&vcat=OUTLET_HP_PP
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    As for watches, what kind of watch do you get for 15 bucks? A Casio out of a gumball machine?

Simple... I don't spend a penny. Every cell phone has a clock on it, and anymore, The cell never leaves my side. I want to know the time? I either look at the screen of the computer I'm sitting at, or glance at my cell.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2007
    Thx for the links all; I'll be digging in after work today to find a new pair.

As for quality, I completely agree with audiobliss. I picked up a Breitling Superocean about a year ago, and the sticker nearly gave my girl a heart attack. The thing is, I'll never have to buy another watch again. Top notch quality, very accurate, and something I'm going to end up leaving to my nephew when I die.

And I am the complete opposite nadams, still don't even own a cell phone :eek:
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    nadams wrote: »
    Simple... I don't spend a penny. Every cell phone has a clock on it, and anymore, The cell never leaves my side. I want to know the time? I either look at the screen of the computer I'm sitting at, or glance at my cell.

Fair enough. I only wear a watch as a fashion accessory. I think they look good. Otherwise, my lower arm bores me.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    All this talk of sunglasses made me go get mine out of the car and take a look at them.

Gargoyles Legends. Polycarbonate lens that not only stops UVA, UVB, and UVC rays, but also stops a .22 bullet fired from 10 feet away! :eek:

Stylish, light, comfortable sunglasses that best the protection offered by safety glasses? Sweet!

Only down side is, I can find a lot of sites online selling Gargoyles, but I can't find Gargoyles' own website.

Now that I think about it, when Dad used to sell Gargoyles, for the display case they sent him a pair that had been shot with a .22. Very impressive display! :D
    Our lenses are 50 times stronger than safety glass and 20 times stronger than structural aluminum. They exceed the ANSI Z87.1 and OSHA requirements.

All Gargoyles Legends Sunglasses lenses guard your eyes with 100% UVA, B, and C protection. Our lenses are coated with a NASA derived scratch-resistant and anti-fog coating, which offers 30% more protection than conventional coatings.
    Sounds impressive, but I'm sure any sunglasses manufacturer has a lot of nice things to say about their products, too.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    If someone shoots you in the eye, and your sunglasses are your only defense, I wouldn't expect to live.... :D

Also, it seems Gargoyles official website is under construction
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Ahh, thanks for the link.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    I have 3 pairs of oakleys and wouldn't do anything else. 1 pair is polarized other two are not. I have super sensitive eyes and the better lense is definately noticable enough to warranty spending $185+ per pair. I have had 2 pairs since I was 16 and I am now almost 22 so if you take care of them they last a long time.
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    $185??

Wow. I barely spend that on my prescription glasses.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    $185??

Wow. I barely spend that on my prescription glasses.
    You serious?! My current prescription glasses (though admittedly the nicest I've had so far) were $450.

A friend of mine had a nice pair of Oakleys at one point in time. He was always the rich man's kid with all the fancy toys and liked to show them off. They cost about $400 - $500. Then, guess what? He lost them on a rafting trip! Ya know what happened next? Why, he got another pair, of course! :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    I have about 6-7 pairs of Oakleys....I used to get them free from a rep a while back...I won't use anything else, they actually saved one of my eyes in a nasty BMX wreck I had when I was 18...I have actually paid for two of mine, the $210 pair of polarized square wires and the $150 pair of their aviator style glasses....
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    You serious?! My current prescription glasses (though admittedly the nicest I've had so far) were $450.

A friend of mine had a nice pair of Oakleys at one point in time. He was always the rich man's kid with all the fancy toys and liked to show them off. They cost about $400 - $500. Then, guess what? He lost them on a rafting trip! Ya know what happened next? Why, he got another pair, of course! :p

Well I was exaggerating, my current glasses were just under 400 bucks, but STILL. The FRAMES were only like 200, and they're on my face all day every day! And they're the flexy Nike Flexon frames.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Hahaha, how interesting. My frames are the 'flexy Nike Flexon frames', too! Certainly the nicest frames I've ever had. My previous frames were cheap, and I was tired of wearing cheap frames, so I got these. Seems like they were around $200 - $250 for the frames.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited June 2007
    I have three pairs of Ray-Bans. Including a pair of Aviators that are apparently old enough to be back in style. I also have a 15 year old watch, but I only wear a watch on the weekend, if I remember.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2007
    I have three pairs of Ray-Bans. Including a pair of Aviators that are apparently old enough to be back in style.

Ray-Ban Aviators have NEVER gone out of style....;)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    I used to have a pair of those. Some special Richard Petty edition. You can imagine what those huge things would look like on a ~11 year old kid.

Of course, I have NO idea what happened to them. They very well could be in one of my drawers in the attic. But if not, they're looong gone.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited June 2007
    I'm a Vaurnet person. Unfortunately I seem to be the last one. They are getting harder and harder to find. But their glass lenses are awesome. Very durable and soothing on the eyes. I choose the Surfer version 006;)
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited June 2007
    I have been fortunate enough to get free sunglasses in my line of work for years. I currently have a pair of Nike Max Technology, a pair of Under Armour polarized, a pair of polarized Oakleys and a pair of Bolle Polarized. Honestly, they all do their job, but as far as "the total package" i always recommend Oakley. Just seems to relax my eyes when I put them on, if that makes sense.

As far as a cheap place to buy replica sunglasses, check out http://www.impostercity.com. My brother buys from them for the same reason - he doesn't see the sense in spemding hundreds of dollars only to lose them or break them.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4