Can Carver Silver 9ts be used with SDA-SRSs?

Options
woofiepaws
woofiepaws Posts: 214
edited June 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I'm new here and have a question I have not been able to answer through searchs or by following recent posts.

I have a pair of Silver 9ts that I would like to use with my SDA-SRSs. The speakers have the blade-blade interconnect and so I don't believe I can use the AI-1 workaround.

Can the negative terminals on the amps be connected to make them common ground? Has anyone done this?

Carver as a company is long gone and Rita and Mylinda seem hard to get hold of.

Thanks,

Steve
MacBook Pro running Roon-Monoprice USB-Schiit Gungir Multibit-Audioquest Earth-Schiit Freya with Tung Sol 6SN7s-Audioquest Sky-Krell FPB 400cx-Audioquest Mont Blanc-1.2tls with all the mods.
Post edited by woofiepaws on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    edited June 2007
    Options
    The company name is Classic Carver Audio Repair. Mylinda and Rita Helms.
    Phone # 360-668-7798
    You can call Rita directly at 360-862-0199, she is at Sunfire.

Also, there is High End Audio…Rolland
    CarverAudioRepair Center
    Hi-Tech Audio Ltd.
    2125 SW 19th St.
    Gresham Oregon 97080

Office: (503) 618-7605
    Fax: (503) 674-8593
    www.carveraudiorepair.com

Also, for those who live in Texas…..
    http://www.pyramid-audio.com/brands.html

And for those of you up north…….

http://www.stereorepair.net/highend.htm

woofiepaws, I suggest you contact Polk Audio by phone to answer your question, unless someone here gives you the juice. Good luck.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited June 2007
    Options
    No you can't use them. I can take them off your hands that way you can buy an amplifier that can be used with the srs.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • woofiepaws
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Thank you treitz3. I'll give Rita and/or Mylinda a call.
    MacBook Pro running Roon-Monoprice USB-Schiit Gungir Multibit-Audioquest Earth-Schiit Freya with Tung Sol 6SN7s-Audioquest Sky-Krell FPB 400cx-Audioquest Mont Blanc-1.2tls with all the mods.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2007
    Options
    This might help. hearingimpaired posted regarding some info on strapping those amps together. I can't, for some unkown reason, open the pdf here at work, but this might answer your question.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=596275&postcount=3
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • woofiepaws
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I called Polk CS and got the generic "don't do it they're monoblocks" answer.

Rita said it should work, that the chassis is ground and it's OK to strap the negative terminals together.

Strider: I got the .pdf to open by saving it to disk first. Otherwise Windoz said "file not found.

Thank you for the help. I may try this tonight with my CRSs.
  • Phil Dawson
    Phil Dawson Posts: 288
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Is there a problem with using mono blocks with SRS SDAs? I'm currently running a pair of PSE mono blocks on the bottom and a stereo PSE for the top and haven't had any problems. Am I doing something stupid (it wouldn't be the first time)? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Phil