Blockbuster to decide Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD?

13»

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited June 2007
    There's too many without the resources to change.
    Too many stations out in the boonies. Too many on fixed/retirement incomes.
    I have one hd. The others are standard. Got one set in my bedroom coming up on 18 years and won't die.
    And we have to worry about HD sets making it 5 years. Either way, the content still stinks.
    If they had made the cable interfaces in the HD sets standard sooner, this process might of
    moved along quicker. Who wants to pay extra for another crappy box from Cox every month.
    Wonder how long before they kill off Redbook cds?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited June 2007
    cheddar wrote: »
    You mean just pull out of DVD entirely? That seems a bit premature unless an HD format has a couple of blowout holiday seasons hardware wise...but I know what you mean. I went with hollywood video, then netflix and the local BBs started closing.

I keep hearing that people are suprised that others still use Blockbuster and that in their town, Blockbusters are closing stores...

In Minnesota, we have tons of Blockbusters and the other video places seems to be the ones that keep closing...weird..not too many Hollywood Videos here..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited June 2007
    I'm sure it's regional just like anything else. Some places walmart is king, other places have more targets. But around me, of the two closest stores, one is now a furniture store and the other is a pizza joint. I can still get to some within 5 miles if I want. But they sure consolidated their stores locally within the last few years. They probably opened up too many to begin with. They had a BB and a Hollywood Video almost next door to each other. You know that couldn't last long.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    Neither format will see a cent of my money until a victor emerges.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2007
    honestly, my standard def dvd collection gets ZERO usage.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Just giving you ****, cheese curd, but I'm tickled pink to know that I got under your skin.

When is Speak & Spell Scotty going to give his sarcastic laden bowl of **** flakes?

Holy $hit man, i missed this thread. Demiurge has been on my ignore list for three months and just out of know where is slamming me with a personal attach. WOW, this guy needs to be BANNED. People like this is why i don't frequent the forum more. **** flakes, weird how everything i have said and predicted has been on the up and up. Get over yourself.........
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2007
    scottvamp wrote: »
    Holy $hit man, i missed this thread. Demiurge has been on my ignore list for three months and just out of know where is slamming me with a personal attach. WOW, this guy needs to be BANNED. People like this is why i don't frequent the forum more. **** flakes, weird how everything i have said and predicted has been on the up and up. Get over yourself.........

I need to be banned? For what? Calling you two out for your constant PS3/Blu-Ray fanboy antics and Microsoft bashing? Give me a break, buddy. Anyone on the Video Game forums sees it plain as day.

The rest of us just want to enjoy what we have, not sit and listen to the two of you bash products the rest of us enjoy. We get it, you don't like Microsoft. It only needs to be said once.

I know Bizill, Shelby, and others have told you two to STFU with the constant back handed comments. Now since you can't take a little ribbing so I should be banned? :rolleyes:

040304_speakandspell.PNG
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2007
    eh, i say get rid of demi...
    ban.gif

:D

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2007
    I have never bashed XBox. (The red lights of death and CS speak for themselves.) I have defended the PS3. Blu-ray was suppose to never get off the ground and the PS3 was not going to break 1 million units.
    Wrong. I use my PS3 for HT video and have been enjoying the hell out of the Wii. You have just been totally out of line. Like i said, i have had you ignored for awhile now. And now you talking **** about me for no reason. Stay off the "Sony" "Blu-Ray" topics. I have no beef except for you being a A$$hole.
    Check youself.................:confused:
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited June 2007
    so why doesn't Blu-Ray adhere to the higher Dolby and DTS standards like HD-DVD? Their discs have the memory available- one would think..
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2007
    This is why I stick with my tried and true Atari 2600. Anybody got somthin to say! :cool:

I diden't think so.
    V
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    Here's my opinion -- both formats suck!! Nature documentaries and sports DVDs -- yep. Everything else -- nope.

I don't need to see every freakin' freckle on Nicole Kidman's face. Geez. Hell, because of HD players, every actor in Hollywood will undergo massive plastic surgery.

However, once the format war is over, I'll probably buy an HD player just to keep up.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    That's an... odd viewpoint. You don't want better picture quality because it exposes the inherent flaws in.... reality?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Hell, because of HD players, every actor in Hollywood will undergo massive plastic surgery.

Yep, I immediately noticed how much older talk show hosts looked in HD.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2007
    Here's my opinion -- both formats suck!! Nature documentaries and sports DVDs -- yep. Everything else -- nope.

I don't need to see every freakin' freckle on Nicole Kidman's face. Geez. Hell, because of HD players, every actor in Hollywood will undergo massive plastic surgery.

Really? That's interesting because isn't that what you strive for in audio? I guess this comes down to crappy source material, as well.
    I agree with ya... I could care less about watching the Weather Channel or the TV Guide channel in HD.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    That's an... odd viewpoint. You don't want better picture quality because it exposes the inherent flaws in.... reality?

Yes.

TV, plays, movies, etc. are supposed to provide "suspension of disbelief." Movies are designed to entertain, and when the camera shows every pimple on an actor's nose, it can throw some people out of their suspended disbelief.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited June 2007
    venomclan wrote: »
    This is why I stick with my tried and true Atari 2600. Anybody got somthin to say! :cool:

I diden't think so.
    V

Put a sock in it, Fanboy! Everyone knows the Calecovision is better:p
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • venomclan
    edited June 2007
    Put a sock in it, Fanboy! Everyone knows the Calecovision is better:p

Just because your InTellevision got the 47 red lights of death, your all bitter...

Smurf on Caleco kicked major a$$, but thats all ya got, FANBOI!

A friend of mine recently told me that when he was a kid they could not afford Q-Bert for his 2600, so they bought the generic version Pogo Joe. It's just not the same. Perhaps I am a video game snob. Back to the basement...
    V
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited June 2007
    A friend of mine recently told me that when he was a kid they could not afford Q-Bert for his 2600, so they bought the generic version Pogo Joe. It's just not the same. Perhaps I am a video game snob. Back to the basement...
    V

Knock-off's aren't all that bad. My favorite game for the 5200 was the Donkey Kong knock-off Kangaroo. Back to the shed...
  • venomclan
    edited June 2007
    Did you get Shadow of the Colostomy Bag yet?
    V
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited June 2007

However, once the format war is over, I'll probably buy an HD player just to keep up.

With that line of thinking, you shouldn't buy an HD tv then...

As for me, I want to see all my movies in HD...because it makes the fact that most movies suck less bothersome:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited June 2007
    Did you get Shadow of the Colostomy Bag yet?
    V

That'd be an A-1 affirmative ghost rider...
    Now I just need to filch my brother's PS2 so I can immerse myself in the magical world of fecal receptacles.

Thanks for sendin' it my way.
  • cheddar
    edited June 2007
    Nobody's got shiite on custer's revenge. All you fanbois can just go f- yourselves and get a 2600...;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custer%27s_Revenge
  • cheddar
    edited June 2007
    aaharvel wrote: »
    so why doesn't Blu-Ray adhere to the higher Dolby and DTS standards like HD-DVD? Their discs have the memory available- one would think..

Not sure what you mean. The blu-ray standard fully supports TrueHD and DTS-MA and even adds LPCM, an uncompressed format, to the mix 'cause of the extra space available on their disks. Blu-ray players, like hd-dvd ones, took time to put internal decoders in their players via firmware updates. This non-support seems to be a common misconception.
  • cheddar
    edited June 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I know Bizill, Shelby, and others have told you two to STFU
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Eh, you both need to STFU about it.

Actually people have been telling you to STFU too Demi. Thought the ritalin was supposed to clear up that ADD you have...:rolleyes: I think it's time for all of us to just let it go...start discussing audio again... ;)
  • venomclan
    edited June 2007
    That'd be an A-1 affirmative ghost rider...
    Now I just need to filch my brother's PS2 so I can immerse myself in the magical world of fecal receptacles.

Thanks for sendin' it my way.

No prob J, when I think of fecal, I think of you.:).

Snafu your bros station, and ride that soft serve home Pond Skipper.
    V