BEST MUSIC DVDs - UPDATE

Options
Sean De Freitas
Sean De Freitas Posts: 52
edited September 2002 in Music & Movies
Hi Guys,

Just reading thru previous posts on this subject, and took the advise given.

I have now Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (awesome - but my Polk 350 sub rumbles in the first drum bit of Hotel California, DTS mode - in PCM stereo mode, it is fine?)

Elton John - 1 Night ONly (fantastic - great roundup of all his hits with lots of great guest artists)

Billy Joel - The Ultimate Collection (fantabulous - what a performer!)

Diana Krall - Live in Paris (understand some of the comments re style of music, not everyone's cup of tea, but you do have to hand it to her musical ability, and that of her band - wow!)

Listened to Dave Matthews Band - Two against Nature (not my cup of tea)

Have Sting - All this time, ordered. Sounds brilliant.
Also for my 18 yo daughter, Britney Spears - LIve in Las Vegas (supposed to be great)

Also ordered (don't know how good/bad yet) Burt Bacharach and Hal David, a tribute to (anyone heard it?)

Okay, you see my style, any other suggestions for easy listening, relatively well know artists, and especially with great audio/video quality (particularly good on Diana Krall).

Incidentally, looks like a good one coming soon from Enrique Eglesius (Escape is his current CD - not sure if the DVD will be same name, but great sounding songs).

Regards, Sean
Post edited by Sean De Freitas on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I picked up Annie Lennox live in New York city. i like her lyrics and her voice.. so this was a no brainer for me. Give this a listen. the video is nothing special.. low budget live video.. but the sound was decent in DD and she is great on stage. I hope to see her live some day. I've seen Diane Krall live and had to buy her live in Paris DVD. I may be going to see Cher on her farewell tour in Dec. does Cher have any DVD's out?

Eagles.. Hell freezes over is great too. Also recently picked up George Micheals the video hits collection. It's pretty good. and I'm not even that big of a GM fans.. so go figure.
    I'd be interested in Burt Bacharach and Hal David.. if it was them playing on the DVD. but a tribute to them, well I just don't know if it would be worth it. there again. seeing Burt live in concert was awesome.
    Okay i do have a certain genre of music l like. but i'm really open to just about anything as long as it's good. For example, I saw Red Hot Chilli Peppers last year.. they were hot too. sizzling! :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Sean De Freitas
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Wah, wah, wah, Danger Boy, just looking at your set up in the Polk catalogue. Hey, that is serious stuff you have there. If I wasn't in Tasmania (Australia) I'd be over there having a listen. I have the RM6600 + 350 sub (great set up, but hey!). Anyway, just lusting ........

Re Burt Bacharach, have listened to it now. It's okay, but not brilliant. Apart from 3-4 songs he plays at the end with Dionne Warwick singing, it is all other people (somewhere in the UK) singing his songs. Some are well known like Petula Clark and Elvis Costello, but many more I have never heard of.

What I much prefer though is The Corrs Live in London (DTS). Soundtrack would honk on your system. Just amazing sound and awesome video quality. Also, not quite as good in audio/video quality, but music is so good - Billy Joel The Ultimate Collection. All his really great hits. Well worth a listen. Another one I really liked was Ronan Keating Live in London. He was out of Boyzone - and an excellent performer. Excellent audio/video quality and pretty good songs too!

Regards,

Sean.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy

Also recently picked up George Micheals the video hits collection.

Is this the one of all the places he's wacked off??? :lol:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited September 2002
    Options
    F1nut,
    why yes it is. the first video on this DVD is a spoof of his now famous arrest for pulling out his willy in front of a cop. the video is all in good fun i think. you should check it out. but something tells me you're not a big fan of GM. i'm not either. but what the hell.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2002
    Options
    danger boy,

Hmmmm........yeah, you quessed right, but what gave you that impression.:D

To each their own and if you enjoy it...good on you.:cool:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Sean De Freitas
    Wah, wah, wah, Danger Boy, just looking at your set up in the Polk catalogue. Hey, that is serious stuff you have there. If I wasn't in Tasmania (Australia) I'd be over there having a listen. I have the RM6600 + 350 sub (great set up, but hey!). Anyway, just lusting ........

Re Burt Bacharach, have listened to it now. It's okay, but not brilliant. Apart from 3-4 songs he plays at the end with Dionne Warwick singing, it is all other people (somewhere in the UK) singing his songs. Some are well known like Petula Clark and Elvis Costello, but many more I have never heard of.

What I much prefer though is The Corrs Live in London (DTS). Soundtrack would honk on your system. Just amazing sound and awesome video quality. Also, not quite as good in audio/video quality, but music is so good - Billy Joel The Ultimate Collection. All his really great hits. Well worth a listen. Another one I really liked was Ronan Keating Live in London. He was out of Boyzone - and an excellent performer. Excellent audio/video quality and pretty good songs too!

Regards,

Sean.

Sean, wish you lived closer to the states too. I could use a good friend who is into audio as much as I am. None of my friends appreciate my set up as much as I do. Maybe i should get new friends. :lol:
    I've seen the Corrs DTS disc in the stores.. but since i'm not familiar with their music.. i keep passing on it. Maybe i should get it a listen. I do enjoy Billy Joel tho.. that is a good next buy i'm thinking.
    What kind of receiver are you running?
    see ya
  • Sean De Freitas
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I run a Yamaha RX-V620 which has DD and DTS, and is very smooth. My DVD player is a Toshiba SD-5200 with DVD Audio, 192khz/24 bit DAC. My tele is a 76cm Grundig 100hz scan (very nice although Standard, not High Definition).

I use all IXOS cabling for audio and video connections and that makes one heck of a difference.

Re the Corrs, great music, very smooth on the ear and extremely nice on the eye (wow those Irish girls). Audio quality is unbelievable!

Sean.