Hell explained by a chemistry student:

mrbigbluelight
mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
The following is an actual question given on a Washington State University chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving.

I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A"
Sal Palooza
Post edited by mrbigbluelight on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    WOW that is way to funny. Thanks for sharing that.
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited June 2007
    I like smart funny.

I wonder how long he had to come up with this?
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2007
    That's hilarious.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2007
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    What a response
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    Nicely done.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    Hey, how did my answer get out like that?!

:mad:

:p:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2007
    It's an old story and questionable from an authenticity and there are a lot of questionable assumptions.

But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good story. I could find no matches on Snopes.
    Carl

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited June 2007
    And the student deserves that A.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • schwarcw
    edited June 2007
    Thanks Cody, I couldn't find it on Snopes. But I heard this story bck in the '70's when I was a young lad taking thermo at the University. Some questionable assumptions. I don't know why he would have received an "A" except for creativity. Most engineering professors (at least back in the '70's) looked upon a student like this as a "smart ****" and would have given him an "F". These old academic codgers 30 years ago had no sense of humor. You "vintage" engineering grads know what I mean.

Carl
    Carl

• tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited June 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Thanks Cody, I couldn't find it on Snopes. But I heard this story bck in the '70's when I was a young lad taking thermo at the University. Some questionable assumptions. I don't know why he would have received an "A" except for creativity. Most engineering professors (at least back in the '70's) looked upon a student like this as a "smart ****" and would have given him an "F". These old academic codgers 30 years ago had no sense of humor. You "vintage" engineering grads know what I mean.

Carl

If I recall correctly, you went to Pitt for your engineering degree. Well, I sure hope times have changed.:) I'll find out in a couple months

Oh yeah, sorry about not giving you a call about heading over your place again, been busy. I'll try to call up sometime this week to pick a good time. If any other polkies near pittsburgh(If any) would like to head over, let us know!
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »

Carl

If it were real, considering the question is essentially a joke, how else would you expect someone to answer? Someone who is an old codger wouldn't ask such a "light" question.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    An oldie but a goodie. Great joke for a bunch of nerds like us.
  • schwarcw
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    If it were real, considering the question is essentially a joke, how else would you expect someone to answer? Someone who is an old codger wouldn't ask such a "light" question.

Exactly, they'd just give you and "F".:(
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited June 2007
    tommyboy wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, you went to Pitt for your engineering degree. Well, I sure hope times have changed.:) I'll find out in a couple months

Oh yeah, sorry about not giving you a call about heading over your place again, been busy. I'll try to call up sometime this week to pick a good time. If any other polkies near pittsburgh(If any) would like to head over, let us know!

Yeah Tom! Give me a buzz! You'll enjoy engineering school.
    Carl