It's All Your Fault!

BAD ASP
BAD ASP Posts: 361
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well I am officially a convert to separtism. I languished for years in the delusion that a really good avr was comparable to the pre-amp / amp etc system. I used the Denon 5700 as my primary unit. While I feel that it was up to the task of driving the big Polks and it never ever gave me trouble it is only fair to say that I have finally had the epiphany. Mind you, it wouldn't trouble me in the least to revert to the old ways if I felt that the separtist method was exaggerated. Alas, my world is realigned. I make no comparative statements as to the quality of Sunfire's equipment versus other manufacture's I am merely pointing out what most of you have known for quite a while. The Denon, while an excellent piece, does not provide the clarity, soundstage, depth of sound and effortless performance. When pushed the Denon was not really up to the task. It's volume went up but the soundstage created by the big Polks was not as 3 dimensional. It is really quite a remarkable difference. When I close my eyes and listen to the sounds of great music or equally great soundtracks in our movies the separation is really not comparable. I am not an audio tech kinda guy, I prefer sinking my mind into other things like cars. I leave the techno speak to those of you who are more inclined and far more adept. I admit I gather bits and pieces from ya'll and I think I am catching on to some things like "head room" for example. My choices of my upgrade equipment has come as a result of this forum. I can easily say that, for now, Music and home theater have provided more enjoyment then before. I really like how there is absolutely no sound coming from the speakers when not being driven by what is provided in the media. I am convinced that this represents what is termed " pure " sound. If tubed equipment is better it would probably be wasted on my blown out ears. How can the sound of the super elite high end gear be so much better than what most of us have now. With all due respect, can a pair of $ 50,000.00 speakers really out perform the Polk's by so much as to warrant the extra $47,000.00?$? To those of us who can afford the additional coin and truly appreciate the quality improvement more power to ya!
I guess I am in Audio Nirvana, for now. Thanks a heap!!!!!!!!!
Home Theater
Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
Processor: sunfire theater grand V
Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
Rears: Polk LSiFX
Side surrounds: Fxi5
Center: (2)polk LSiC's
Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
Projector: sony vw60
Screen: Da-Lite 106"
APC S20 Power conditioner
Post edited by BAD ASP on

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    Congratulations on your epiphany & welcome to the separates club! I'm working on getting a Sunfire Theater Grand IV myself.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited June 2007
    Congrats. Once I ventured into the separates world there was no looking back. Then again, everyone has their own hearing ability.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2007
    sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    sunfire theater grand IV

what I want when I go LSI for home theater
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited June 2007
    I've been up to speed with the small versus large speaker config.
    what I wasn't truly aware of is how the sounds are so neatly separated from each other. I think I noticed this the most with the sub woofer. At first it was a feeling with sound being second. Yes it did react appropriately but not as well, separately. Now the sub is a unique sound driven by the media not by the mixing within the audio piece. I then began to notice how clear the sounds of the sticks on the hat, the cow bells so to speak. Each instrument is now much more clearly defined. I realize this is really redundant for most of you but, much like any parent of an infant, there is an appreciation when the child learns to scratch his/her own itch. I now know what each instrument sounds like in each musical piece, it blends as before but is more defined and distinguishable. Movie background sounds are individually more clear and render a more realistic involvement from the listening perspective. I am sorry for being so wordy but clarity is hard to describe without clarity.........huh? somebody needs to put me out of my wife's misery.:D :D
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    LOL! You just be as wordy & babbling as you want! All of your descriptions are right on the money & you are helping to educate newbies in the process of what separates can do for your system! Especially with the power!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2007
    Separates are no match for even a very good AVR. Welcome to the club. I'm not running anything major in my rig, an Outlaw 950 and 6 Adcom GFA-535's but they out did my Marantz AVR, significantly.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    I'm very glad you've come over to the dark side at least pocketbook wise.

Monkey wrench time.

I've been a separates guy for 30 years. I heard an integrated amp which blows away my separates. My separates still sound good but don't hold a candle to the reality portrayed by the integrated. While it is by no means an AVR it still has the stigma of being an integrated. Unless I heard it with my own ears I would not believe it to be true. Of course I realize we are not talking two channel here.

Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 300 integrated hybrid amp.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2007
    I'm very glad you've come over to the dark side at least pocketbook wise.

Monkey wrench time.

I've been a separates guy for 30 years. I heard an integrated amp which blows away my separates. My separates still sound good but don't hold a candle to the reality portrayed by the integrated. While it is by no means an AVR it still has the stigma of being an integrated. Unless I heard it with my own ears I would not believe it to be true. Of course I realize we are not talking two channel here.

Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 300 integrated hybrid amp.

That's why, right there.^^^
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"