Want to foll off high freequencies to tweeters

Options
Gary Batson
Gary Batson Posts: 124
edited June 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I want to roll off the high freequencies above about seven kilohertz going to the directional tweeters in my SDA 1's. What would I put between the crossovers and tweeters to do this?
Post edited by Gary Batson on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    Options
    A small inductor added after the tweeters hi pass filter will give you a shallow 6db per octave treble roll off.The value of the coil would be calculated using the tweeters nominal impedance.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Options
    His phase most likely would be incorrect if he did that. Depending on the driver he might have to reverse the + and - on the tweeter . What I did to my SDA2's was disable the SDA tweeter(they cross at 2500), and replace the main tweeters first resistor with a 2.7 ohm instead of 4ohm. Done and done. Polk changed the design after they did that with the first generation SDA's. It does work very well, and cost less than $10. Then of coarse get the RDO tweets, and then change all the caps. THEN you are done. For a while:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    Options
    The coil will only change the phase 45 degrees so it is unlikely you would need to change the polartiy.

But Ben has a different solution that is worth a try.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Gary Batson
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I don't want to completely disable the tweeter because its response dips so far into the midrange. in fact when I pulled the fuse on the tweeter I found that the tweeter produced most of the midrange. I think I need it for imaging. The high frequencies comming from both the stereo and the deminsional tweeters seem to resonate in my ears causing spikes at higher frequencies and pain. I tollerate it because I like the SDA effect. I have the new tweeters and they are an improvement.
  • Gary Batson
    edited June 2007
    Options
    If a coil changes the phase of the tweeter. Is there a way to change it back? That would probably effect imaging. I don't know how to figure what size coil I need. I need to be told outright. Just pretend that you're talking to somebody really stupid. It wont be far from the truth.
  • Gary Batson
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I don't want to completely disable the tweeter because its response dips so far into the midrange. in fact when I pulled the fuse on the tweeter I found that the tweeter produced most of the midrange. I think I need it for imaging. The high frequencies comming from both the stereo and the deminsional tweeters seem to resonate in my ears causing spikes at higher frequencies and pain. I tollerate it because I like the SDA effect. I have the new tweeters and they are an improvement.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Hi Gary. You are absolutely right that the tweets affect the mids. I changed out my tweets to Morels in one of my speakers, and lost a lot of the mids, and highs. I had to change the resistor to a 2ohm to get it right again. The same thing happened with my SDA2's. Thats why you need to take out the 4ohm resistor, and replace it with the 2.7ohms(it will bring your mid, and high level back up), and disable the dimensional tweeter. It cost less than $10 bucks. The SDA3.1TL's only used one tweet, the Monitor 12's, RTA15TL's, and so on. The new tweets can definitely handle the job by using a single driver. Polk quickly took the dim tweeter out of the design, and they also dropped the XO frequency to 2000. At 2500hz there will be no issues at all with a single tweeter. The SDA effect will still be present, but the highs will not be reflecting with phase issues around the room. Again that is why they dropped the dimensional tweeter. Sorry to be repetitive here, but I have done this mod, and it worked very well.

Good luck with what ever path you take.
    Enjoy your speakers:)

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2007
    Options
    ... adding a coil after the existing crossover network will not simply add a 'nice' rolloff, unless the tweeter is only highpassed. if the tweet is bandpassed already, then the coil in series will screw with the slope. that being said, the likelihood of a factory built bandpassed tweet is slim. g'luck.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited June 2007
    Options
    have you thought about room acoustics or tried acoustic treatments? if you haven't, it might be worthwhile try that before altering the speaks.

)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Or you could get the replacement tweeters from Polk; the SL2000's (which I assume are the ones in your SDA?) are known to have spikes at some frequecies that I don't recall now. The new silk tweeters eliminate that.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Seems like I read that it's a 4 to 5db peak around 14 or 15kHz. One of these days, I'll get me some RD0's to compare. At least I'll extra tweeters for swapping around in the Monitor 10B's, too. Those are next on the list for some redo. Well, sometime soon.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.