3 15's

mirra540ryder
mirra540ryder Posts: 136
edited June 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
k i got 3 polk 15's 2 are in a 2cubic foot box seald and the other sub is still not opend i was ganna sell one but i decided to build a custom seald box to fit them in my honda civic. i thot i was getting a deal on a profile ap1000m mono amp but it was worse than my 200 watt amp that i have had forever.
anyway 400 watts rms 800 max i wanna have atleast 400 watts to each sub and im ready to pay $1000 retail for an amp this time anybody got any ideas to push them i want these subs to make my ears bleed if i want
Post edited by mirra540ryder on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    so, we're looking for 1200 watts or more at 4/3 = 1.33 ohms, or 1600Wx1ch@1ohm. a quick scan of cardomain yields this precision power amp and this rockford fosgate amp. others will reveal themselves with further searches, and your results should be narrowed based on what features you're looking for. bass boost is not one of these features.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • mirra540ryder
    edited June 2007
    will my subs work on 1 ohm? it doesnt say it in the book
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2007
    hmm... short answer - that question makes no sense, but your three subs will work with either of the two amps i listed or any amp that is listed as 1-ohm stable.

slightly longer answer - a speaker (including a sub) has a resistance/impedance, which in your case is 4 ohms per sub, and this doesn't change, ever (unless you kill the sub, but that's beside the point). what does change is the load the amp sees. wiring three 4-ohm loads in parallel (if that doesn't make sense to you, google 'parallel wiring') lets the amp see 1.33 ohms. amps have the delightful trait of making more power the lower the impedance (within limits, of course), and it is therefore desirable to let the amp see the lowest impedance possible - in your case, this is the 1.33 ohms we found earlier. amps are not rated at 1.33 ohms, however, they are rated at 1 ohm, and in order to make the 1200 watts you need at 1.33 ohms, an amp must make around 1600 watts at 1 ohm, so that's the number you look for. that would be 1600 watts RMS, peak numbers are irrelevant.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • mirra540ryder
    edited June 2007
    idk i thot my subs could only run off 2 ohms or somthing but i guess its just my amp and all that u said helps alot now i can find an amp now thanks
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2007
    you're quite welcome. feel free to ask any questions you have as you search, though do try to punctuate a little more... it makes it less difficult to read the post :)

• mirra540ryder
    edited June 2007
    im thinking if i get that Rockford Fosgate i can run a fourth sub at around 390 watts each at `1 ohm right??
  • mirra540ryder
    edited June 2007
    are audiobahn amps anygood? they are less in price so does that mean less in power like this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_58_Audiobahn+A18001DT.html
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2007
    im thinking if i get that Rockford Fosgate i can run a fourth sub at around 390 watts each at `1 ohm right??

about 375, yeah (it makes 1500 watts at 1 ohm, and with 4 4-ohm subs in parallel, the amp will see that 1 ohm, so you get 1500 / 4 = 375 watts to each sub)

that audiobahn amp will give you a bit more juice to each sub, around 450 watts each, but i won't say anything about which is better, because i don't know. someone else might.

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited June 2007
    RF > Audiobahn.

Audiobahn spends too much time making everything chromey/flamey, concentrating on looks rather than quality build/internals, so to answer the question, comparing two amps with similar rated power, I'd choose Rockford Fosgate over the Audiobahn...even if I had to pay more for the RF.

Not all Audiobahn was bargain basement type stuff, but their better lines weren't all that great at the price point IMO. Without looking into the product really deeply, I'd say "stay away".
  • mirra540ryder
    edited June 2007
    i think the audiobahn amp is kinda ugly my self i think i will try and go with the RF becouse im sure it will last longer as well as sound clearer
  • mirra540ryder
    edited June 2007
    k well i found one more i think this is the best amp i can get for the price its

4 ohms: 850 watts x 1 chan.
    2 ohms: 1700 watts x 1 chan.
    1 ohm: 2600 watts x 1 chan.

only like 500 bux

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9338_Hifonics+BXi+2607D.html

what do you guys think??? lots of power
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2007
    i have a year-or-two-old hifonics brutus powering my sub, and it's held up with no problems whatsoever... it's fairly straightforward, a lowpass filter, bass boost knob, and a very cool 24 db 15Hz subsonic filter... i'd do it

i will mention that i've never heard of that website, though that doesn't mean it's bad... it does mean that you may wish to read up on any warranty and privacy policies they have, though.

• mirra540ryder
    edited June 2007
    iv got 2 of my polk subs from them one isnt open but the other works good never had a prob with it. but they were selling the subs threw ebay
  • honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited June 2007
    i would:

NOT BUY FROM SONIC-ELECTRONIX!!!!!!!!!!!

the first and only time i used them, i was buying a sub tube to build/give a system to my lady-friend for xmas last year... i ordered right after thanksgiving and paid immediately, as always (it was an ebay auction). they DID NOT even have the sub in stock, as it were, but didnt inform me of that until 2 weeks later when i was inquiring about my stuff... no package, no email, no phone call, no apology; no offer of correction whatsoever. i eventually decided on another sub so i could actually *get* it before xmas, because by this point, it was basically too late to feasibly order from somewhere else and still expect timely delivery, and i had already bought and received the other components (which left me with little budget left to play with)... no discount, no apology. still, it was into january before i got my stuff, though it did finally arrive in new, perfect condition... they are cheap, it is true; but their customer service is practically non-existent.

FWIW and perhaps YMMV

a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • mirra540ryder
    edited June 2007
    yea i had no C.S but it was shipped out the next day 2 $220.00 doller subs for 250 after shipping was at my house withen a week