Four years...

polrbehr
polrbehr Posts: 2,830
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
...and counting.

Today is my four year anniversary of being smoke-free.
In fact, it was one of the reasons I got into Polk speakers, kind of as a gift to myself for going two months w/o a smoke. OK, so I ended up buying more than the original pair of R50s, but I deserved it ;).

This time around, I treated myself to an SVS PB12-NSD/2. :D

Do I miss smoking? To be honest, yeah, sometimes. But in time, the urges to light up get fewer in number and intensity, so anyone who says they can't stop hasn't really tried yet, IMO, because it most definitely is possible. Just put your mind to it, and don't give in and let it beat you. Easy? No. Worth it?
No question.

I know there have been several threads posted about quitting over the years;
just bringing it up again as a way of offering up some encouragement to those who are thinking about stopping, and to congratulate those who have.
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
Post edited by polrbehr on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2007
    Congrats! I'll be two years smoke-free on June 25th -- my wedding anniversary.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited June 2007
    Well done sir! Very fine rewards you've given yourself.
    No excuses!
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited June 2007
    Congrats H ! With all of the money you have saved over the last 4 years, I think you need to keep celebrating for this anniversary...

How about a CSi5 to go with the RTi10’s on reserve? All boxed up and ready to arrive at your house. Just say the word and I’ll deliver.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited June 2007
    Word. I'll take them free of charge. What a great forum we have here. :)

That sub is awesome! You will love it!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2007
    I think I should take up smoking, just so I can quit and have an excuse to buy myself a new tv :D
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    Congrats on four years!!! I will be celebrating 5 months smoke free on friday.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2007
    Congrats on quitting; yes, it is not that difficult....I've done it myself...twice :o

I quit for six months on Labor day 2005, and for 4 months this year; I'm back again now. The third time will be it, soon.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    Congratulations! As a fellow smoker, I know it's not easy.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2007
    Congrats! I am 3 years cigarette free as of January 2007. I can't say smoke free, b/c I smoke a cigar every Sunday, but I don't have to have it.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited June 2007
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Treat yourself to something nice today.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited June 2007
    Awesome, buddy!!! I'm almost to five and still get cravings once in awhile.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    Congrats keep up the good work!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2007
    Wonderfull! I had a physical last week and the doctor took a couple of chest X-rays to follow up on some pain that is probably a bone/joint issue. His comment was that after 17 years of NOT smoking following 21 years of HEAVY smoking (up to 3 packs a day) my lungs looked great and there was no evidence of any damage. There is good reason to continue to be a non-smoker.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    That's terrific Shack!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited June 2007
    Smoked for 13 years and quit officially 1-1-05

I still miss it sometimes but i'm always reminded of how stinky it is when im helping a customer on my sales floor that smells like old burnt cigs...

blech!!

...congrats to everyone that quit! and to those that haven't and want to...

You can and will quit only when YOU are ready to. :)
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    Congrats!

Quitting smoking is extremely difficult