Monitor 10s with 2 fuses?

Options
jmwest1970
jmwest1970 Posts: 846
edited June 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I picked up a pair of Monitor 10s locally with the Peeless tweeters for a song. The only thing unusual to my eye was 2 fuses on the back. I'm sure someone has seen this and can help identify vaguely when they were produced.

Attached are the pics. As you can see they're in good shape, not great, but good. The only major flaw I see is the tear in the mid surround in the last pic. I'm thinking about putting them in the FM as I already have a pair of Monitor 10 Series 2 that I like, but I don't think the cost can justify shipping this pair.
Post edited by jmwest1970 on

Comments

• Sumbrada77
    Sumbrada77 Posts: 37
    edited June 2007
    Options
    That is strange. My 10s are probably about the same age (~1978-9) and I only have 1 fuse for the Tweeter. The back pic of the label shows the fuses for top tweeter and bottom woofers. Probably have the woofers fused to protect them in case the tweeter blows and then possibly sends to much to the woofers. Usually you see 2 fuses when 1 is for tweeters and the other is for the whole speaker in case of huge spike.
    CARPE CEREVISI!!
    A Wise man, Keeps his Friends close, but keeps his
    Enemies Closer !!

Yamaha RX-V659 A/V receiver, Maganox CDP482 CD,
    Pansonic DVD F85, Marantz 6300 TT w/Apature KOCE
    Polk 10s (mains), M&K 3B (backs), Polk 5b Center
    HSU Research VTF-2 Mk1 subwoofer
    DIY twisted speaker cable
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I think the second fuse is just for the woofer. I think that it was placed there to protect against clipping which can send a high surge of power that woofer handle much better than tweeters. I personally would stick a higher amp fuse in there to reduce the resistance that such a small fuse can impose. I know some will disagree, but it was there on very few models.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Pull the crossover out and take a pic of it,,,,lol
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I did pull the crossover, but didn't take a pic. The only thing on it was a sticker that had "10" on it and writing that says "TK" and "1-15". I've read about the many production differences with the Monitor 10, but never anything about 2 fuses.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    Options
    EDIT, moving my post to your FS thread :)