Picking up amplifiers

Pantocrator
Pantocrator Posts: 84
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm buying a pair of SR6500's and as of now one 12 inch SR sub. The subs are 700 RMS and the Speakers are 125RMS. I was thinking of getting a Memphis Belle 16MCH1300 5 channel do it all amp, but I don't think it is powerful enough. I need an amp that can handle two of theses SR subs, in case I decide to get another one later on, like in a month if I don't like having just one. I've heard good things about Alpine, but I heard that Polk does not make good enough subs for their SR series. Any input and suggestions appreciated.
My system (thanks to everybody for the help)
One pair Polk SR6500 comps
One Polk SR124DVC sub
One Pioeer Premier 880PRS HU
One Memphis belle 16MCH1300 amp
Post edited by Pantocrator on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    depends... if you're willing to do a multi-amp setup, there's a world of possibilities available. if you're requiring a 5-channel amp, especially one with 1400+ watts on the fifth channel, that may be a little more difficult.

important - how much are you willing to spend? it had better be a fair bit, to match the awesomosity of the SRs
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Pantocrator
    Pantocrator Posts: 84
    edited June 2007
    I don't know price yet. I just need them to match the quality of the SR's. The nuimber of amps is not important, but I'd rather spend less money, however it has to work out...
    My system (thanks to everybody for the help)
    One pair Polk SR6500 comps
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
    One Pioeer Premier 880PRS HU
    One Memphis belle 16MCH1300 amp
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    I've heard good things about Alpine, but I heard that Polk does not make good enough subs for their SR series. Any input and suggestions appreciated.

Huh?!?!

Not sure what youre asking but a 5 channel Memphis is a pretty stout amp. 1100 watts at 1 ohm which is the load you would have with a pair of DVC subs. With 600 watts at 2 ohms it would be a pretty decent matchup for a single SR as well.

True its not the most powerful combination you could go with but 1100 watts RMS going to a pair of 12's is very substantial and I seriously doubt youd be lacking in bass.

The good thing about 5 channels is the ease of installation. Naturally ts a lot easier to find room for and install a single amp.

I honestly dont think using that Memphis is a bad idea - regardless if you go with 1 or 2 SR124's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D