I need some Polk car equipment

m00npie
m00npie Posts: 697
edited June 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hello,

I recently had a Kicker system installed in my Jetta from a shop close to work. They were not a Polk dealer so I went with a Kicker system. I’m pretty happy with the sound but now I’m ready to experiment with another sub to replace the Comp VR10 which is currently driven by a Kicker ZX400.1

I recently bought a Kicker amp (ZX750.1) off of 1996blackmax figuring I would need more power to upgrade to a 12’’ sub. I would like to try a single 12 from Polk but I have a few questions surrounding this purchase…

1.) What is the difference between MM2124DVC and the MM2124, and is there a sound difference between the two?
2.) Polk does not sell sub boxes and I have no interest in building my own so is there a particular brand that is suitable for a single 12?
3.) Since I listen to 98% Rock\Metal, would the MM2124 be better than the CompVR from Kicker or should I consider the SR124. I don’t think the amp I bought would be enough to drive the SR so that may be out of the question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by m00npie on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    1) there's no sq difference between a single and double coil sub, it's all dependant on how you want to wire it... for a single sub, go with a 4ohm+4ohm DVC sub so you can wire it to a 2 ohm load.

2) there are prefab boxes in any BB/CC, but they're relatively crappy... reconsider building your own, or paying a friend to do so, it's not difficult and the results are great. there are companies that make good prefab boxes, but i can't remember any of them... any audio shop can also make a box to your specifications, as well

3) i don't know that amp, and my connection is pretty much broken right now, so i'm not going to the site at the moment, but the momo should be better than the comp (don't hold me to that, it's been a while since i've heard a compvr), and an sr will sound very tight, perfect for fast double kicks, but only if it's got enough juice... if you're willing to pay for it, i'd say go for the SR, but the momo will also yield excellent results.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    Polk sells a powerhouse sub-in-a-box. The DB212-2 is flat out awesome!

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/db212/

It would also be a perfect fit for that 750 watt Kicker.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited June 2007
    Thanks Mac,

I'm going to have to get my tape measure out. I'm not sure if that box will fit in the back of my Jetta. Would I need 2 amps to drive both of those or just one?

Going from a single 10'' to dual 12'' does sound exciting. I'll have to tape my fuel door shut since occasionally, the single ten will pop it open.