First and last thing to go...?

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
What would be your first and last thing to go out of your system, and why?

For me, the XM tuner would go first. The Polk tuner is fine, it's XM's quality that sucks.

My MF preamp would be the last thing to go. I love it.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited June 2007
    First to go - cdp-I can use something else as a transport

Last to go - SDA 1C's. Nothing else like them today.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2007
    first to go for me would be the avr. damn thing won't ever default to 7.1 but 5.1. have to toggle 23,568 times to get to plIIx.

last to go would be the speakers, as i can never afford anything better.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    Parasound & Adcom amps first to go. SME V tonearm last to go.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »

For me, the XM tuner would go first. The Polk tuner is fine, it's XM's quality that sucks.

agreed... XM service was less than good in my experinece.... some channels sounded good.. but that was less than a handful. overall i was very dissapointed with XM
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2007
    My Onkyo CD/DVD changer needs to be upgraded, my Sherbourn amp is one of my favorite pieces but I really want to try a Sunfire Cinema grand.

I think my Speakers are here for a long time.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited June 2007
    First to go (and soon) Yamaha AVR.
    Last would be my sub. I built it and I'm attached.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited June 2007
    I love my system, but I can't say I'm overly attached to anything at this point. If a better piece of gear came along at a better price, I'd grab it.

That being said, it would be most difficult to best my Thiel's for the money I paid. It would be easiest to find another CDP or DAC for the money I paid.

Oh, I hate my current stand. That would be first to go, no doubt.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    My cd player because it sucks. Last to go would be my speakers.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    First thing to go, the few monster cables I have....Why? Cause they suck.

Last thing to go, everything else.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2007
    Last thing to go: receiver and HT speakers; have had it for 2 years and only changed the subwoofer a year ago. I don't think I will add/replace anything unless something breaks.

First thing to go: I cannot think of anything on my 2 channel that I'd like to swap right now; I am just starting to enjoy the "current version". Need a few months to listen and see if I want to change something.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    First thing to go for me would be my receiver for a prepro. Last thing to go would be my amp!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    I didn't think that I would ever have to mention that I will be buried in my speakers I thought that was just a given!
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited June 2007
    First thing to go would be my sub!
    I've had that sub for years as part of my first HT system. I am slowly upgrading my system (got rid of the rca front, surrounds and reciever). I want to replace it with either a PSW1000 or a 10" Velodyne.

Next to go would be my center (replacing with a CSI25 to match the r50s).

I think the last thing I would upgrade would be my R50 fronts. I like the sound for the budget I had.
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited June 2007
    I am currently using 4 amps to provide 5 channels of amplication in the living room, and 2 channels in the garage. I would like to save some space by getting a nice 7 channel amp, so the first thing to go will probably be 4 amps.

The last thing to go will be my SDA1C's.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2007
    First thing to go: XM tuner. The sound quality was quite bad on some channels.

Last thing to go: Definitive Tech BP10B's.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    First - Cables or XM Tuner

Last - Shanling CDP or the Amazings. I'm really not sure what I can imagine replacing first. Both are going to be around for quite a while.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    Disclaimer: I'm judging what would be first/last to go based on how well I'm pleased with it and would like to keep it, not if I'm actually going to upgrade and so really sell it first, just which I'm most dissatisfied with.

First to go here would probably be my Yamaha CDR-HD1300. The only reason I'm keeping it is because I can put records and tapes on CD with it, which is awesome.

Last to go would either be my Rotel RCD-02 or my ASL Wave 8's.

Well, after the ELP gets here, THAT might be the last thing I'd get rid of.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited June 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »

My MF preamp would be the last thing to go. I love it.

First thing to go: Monster HTS3500 power center... would much rather have a PS Audio PowerPlant Premier

Last thing to go: Probably my amplifier.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • irishaz
    irishaz Posts: 161
    edited June 2007
    First thing to go - Yamaha AVR.

Last to go - My SDA CRS's. After UPS destroyed them, I had to put a lot of TLC to get them going again. I'll never get rid of those babies...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    first thing to go.. my significant other :p waaaaaaaaaa!

seriously though... i don't really know.. my stuff is so low end.. there really isn't any reason to keep any of it.. :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    I'm thinking that I am going to go 2ch. with a sub for my HT rig as of now....Once I get the Sunfire TGI fixed, I am thinking it is going on the chopping block...I am thinking I will put that scratch towards a Krell or bryston integrated...Trying to use minimum space in this small room at the moment....Then comes speakers...Man, my wallet hurts just thinking about it...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited June 2007
    Ahhh

I think everyone is pretty intterchangable in my rig.

Love it all the same.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2007
    judging the first thing to go in my theater is tough, but it might be the playe amp for the sub. I think that SVS plus driver I have could take some more juice.

last thing to go would be the LSi's

for 2 channel, I have no clue what would be first, since I got things pretty well balanced out. any component would be on the block if i had to swap something out.

choosing the last to go is a cakewalk though, the AR9's are here to stay.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2007
    Ahhh

I think everyone is pretty intterchangable in my rig.

Love it all the same.

Well said.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2007
    1st thang: Oppo
    last wangs and thangs: Tyler speakers
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2007
    First thing to go is my money

Last thing to go is everything else.
    Ludicrous gibs!