Help with SDA-2 and Amp

gnu333
gnu333 Posts: 15
edited June 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have run across a pair of SDA-2’s and need advice.
I currently have a low-end polk Home Theatre system (RM6800, RM2300 surrounds, RM2600 center, PSW 350 sub)
I want to upgrade my fronts as I’ve moved into a larger house, and just purchased a pair of R50’s last week for 170$. The same day my friends father was selling his original SDA-2’s, with all the manuals, along with his amp, a Yamaha M-60 for 200$. I’m pretty sure that the R50’s are being returned, but I want to make sure that the SDA’s will fit into my current HT system, as I am new to the SDA world. The SDA’s are in perfect working condition. My current receiver is a Sony STR-DE875, 100Wx5.

Q1) Is this a good price?
Q2) I know that the SDA’s are meant to be used alone in stereo, but will they also work as fronts in a 5.1 system?
Q3) The amp is working, but over the last 5 years he’s had to adjust the gain on the left side significantly higher then the right, in order for both channels to have a matched output. I’m not trying to purchase an amp right now; is this harming the speakers in any way? I’m assuming the problem lies in the amp, and not the speakers driving the amp down, correct? Do I hook the amp up between the speakers and my receiver speaker output?
Q4) Do I need an amp at all? Can I simply power it directly off my receiver, realizing that the speakers can handle up to 500W, is there any harm only giving them 100 (probably less the 100W as the specs are overrated)?

thanks
Post edited by gnu333 on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2007
    No problem with sda's in a HT setup. IF you get a chance to listen to these SDAs put your ear up to the tweeter in the left speaker and see if it is putting out any sound. When the tweeter went in my left it sounded as if the volume was down on that speaker. The price is a good one for sure even if you have to replace a tweeter(you can find them on e-bay, or order polk replacements you will have to get 2 as they are not the same as the original). Lastly you don't need an amp, but I would not push that sony with those speakers hooked up. The SDA 2s are a 4 ohm speaker, and even though sony rates it as being able to "handle" a 4 ohm load, I've seen to many of them crap out, you DO NOT want to run an amp off of speaker outputs, you will blow it. If you are going to take the amp, you are going to need something with preamp outputs on it.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    1 Run don't walk
    2 yes
    3 you won't know till further testing
    4 Yes you really need an amp to run them
    5 welcome to club polk

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited June 2007
    Get now. Do Stop but run after them.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for all your quick responses.
    I just wanted to make sure that I’m not in over my head with these speakers.
    So the consensus is that my receiver alone won’t do the speakers justice, and that I should try the Yamaha amp that comes with it.
    So, since I’ve been told that I shouldn't hook the amp up directly to my receiver, does this mean that I now need a preamp?
    Any good but reasonably priced suggestions?
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Check your receiver for pre outs after you get your SDA's!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dudeinaroom
    edited June 2007
    e-bay, or sell your Sony locally. You could go with a preamp, but if your running surround sound you could go with a receiver by Denon, H/k, Marantz, etc. as long as it has pre amp outs.
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    Thanks again for your input.

My receiver has 2 RCA Sub Woofer preamp outputs.
    I currently have a PSW350 hooked up.

The rear of the receiver looks like this

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xEY4vIedAko/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&tab=morephotos&i=158STRE875&pi=2&display=XL#Tab
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Your sony isn't setup for full range pre outs. I would suggest fallowing dudes advice, and get an HK from Harmon direct that has pre outs.

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio

Manuals
    http://www.harmankardon.com/product_support/interstitial.aspx?Language=ENG&Region=USA&Country=US&sJump=om

It would be a huge step up:)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    Or an Onkyo receiver. Ok...I'm partial. lol
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    gnu333,
    Even if you buy the HK you will still need another amp, the SDA-2's run in 4 ohms and most recievers do not work well in 4 ohms.
    Las

I forgot to add the amp part:o
    Thanks
    Ben
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    Thanks again for all the suggestions
    They are SDA 2's
    I think I attached a picture of them.

The friend that is selling them to me currently has it wired as such;
    a Yamaha C-60 preamp wired to a Yamaha M-60 Amp, and then out to the SDA's
    He's got CD changers and all wired to the preamp as well.
    I knew i probably needed the M-60 Amp, so that's included in my price.
    I could buy the preamp from him and wire the front speaker outputs of my receiver out to the preamp audio in, I think??
    I am on a tight budget, and I know to wire it the correct way I need a new receiver with plenty of pre-outs, but I can't flip that right now.
    So I'm trying to at least be able to listen to the speakers until I can get it hooked up the proper way.

any suggestions

thanks again
  • dudeinaroom
    edited June 2007
    You could wire it that way, but you would still get the sound of the sony's amp, and would blow the input stage in the amp.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited June 2007
    Nice looking 2s you have there gnu. I still have a pair exactly like those that I purchased out of the showroom back in 1986.
    Of all the receivers that I run mine with thru the years the Onkyo seemed to stand up the best and the Yamaha was the worst.
    I'm running them in a 5.1 setup now with a B&K receiver.
    Where are you located?
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    thanks,
    I'm in the Northern Va area
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    thanks guys for all your help and advice.
    i haven't pullled the trigger yet on the speakers, simply because i can't afford a new receiver at this time.
    this is a last ditch effort to convince myself that i need them, that there is some other way to hook them up to my existing receiver (receiver has no preouts)
    i found adequate receivers on ebay and cl, but am iffy about buying used receiver, and really don't have the money (new baby).
    any other quick fixes/temp jobs???
    if not, then these SDA's are probably going on the market soon in the NOVA area:confused:
    i'm just trying not to lose out on a deal of a lifetime (they look brand new)...

thanks in advance
    :(
  • engtaz
    edited June 2007
    Most of my audio equipments is used. I don't think that will be a problem.
    engtaz

• gnu333
    edited June 2007
    The most that I would be able to do with it now would be to hook a CD player up to the "preamp" (old receiver, no dvd in) that I'm getting with the speakers, but I would not be able to incorporate it into my HT system immediately as intended....
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited June 2007
    Just get them and run them w/what you have. If they are a great deal and in very nice shape then you'll have them for later when you want to upgrade your gear. They may not play up to their full potential but it's better than not having SDA's at all.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • engtaz
    edited June 2007
    +2 Hard to find good deals on SDA's.
    engtaz

• dudeinaroom
    edited June 2007
    you can run them off your sony, just don't push them hard. If your sony has a switch for 4-8ohm operation make sure it is set to 4 ohms. The sonys that I saw blow up were one of my bosses and he always listed with the volume at the 5 o'clock position. As lond as you don't push it hard the speaker and the rceiver will be ok. I pushed my SDA 2As with a Cheap technics for a year and a half with no issues, then I bought an amp. I now have a Denon receiver(it has 7.1 pre outs), and an Adcom preamp. I have basicly to semi seperate systems in my living room. When I want to listen to 2ch music I will use the Preams-amp combo with either my DVD/SACD/CD or Tuentable, and If i want to watch a movie, I unplug the rca's from the pre amp, and plug in the rca's from the receiver(I make sure I turn the power off before I make changes).

Good luck on which ever route you chose,
    dude
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    thank you, thank you, thank you.
    that is exactly what i wanted to hear,
    just a way to get by right now without having to drop money that i don't have on a new receiver.
    btw, my receiver does have a 4/8 ohm setting...

thanks again
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited June 2007
    If you decide to pass, let me know. I would love to have them. I am in Burke, if you need any help with setup let me know. Good Luck, Jeff

I would also be interested in just the amp if you decide to sell.
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    Thanks Jeff,
    It does come with the interconnect cable.
    Think I'm going to bring my receiver over to his house and see what it sounds like. I'll let you know how it goes.

gnu
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    Since these aren't shielded, what's the apx distance that you guys have these located away from your television, if they're near one?
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited June 2007
    I have a rear projector and mine are about 3 feet away. I have no idea how close you can put them. Start out wide and work your way in until you see teh magnetic effect on the TV. As long as you don't leave thenm too close for long, you will not hurt the TV.

Did you pick them up?
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    Thanks,
    I am going to borrow them this weekend and make sure they play well with my 'lil Sony receiver...

thanks again
  • gnu333
    edited June 2007
    Just an update,
    I picked up the speakers tonight, hooked them up to my receiver and stuck in some old music. The speakers sound excellent, really full. I know that I'm not hearing everything because I'm not pushing them much because of my receiver situation, but they sound better (set at a similar gain) then my newly acquired R50's, so I guess my R50's are going back.

In the near future I hope to upgrade my receiver and get these things louder, but for now, they work well for me.

thanks to all who had input.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    gnu333 wrote: »
    Since these aren't shielded, what's the apx distance that you guys have these located away from your television, if they're near one?

I remember reading in another thread that someone called Ken at Polk C.S. and he either sent them "bucking magnets" that can be glued on to the back of the speakers to help with their video shielding or he told them where to get them. I forget which but I know it involved calling Ken and was helped out. That's essentially what "video shielded" speakers are is that bucking magnet attached out of polarity to the back of the actual speaker magnet. It reduces the magnetic field greatly. I've done that with some speakers I built years ago and they worked perfect along side a tube tv.

Great speakers you got there!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • gnu333
    Time for me to offload these speakers and sell them locally. What's the best way? CL or here?