Please help with 3.1TL problem

Options
beemer
beemer Posts: 155
edited June 2007 in Vintage Speakers
My understanding is the 3.1TL did not use the polyswitch. My recently acquired 3.1TL's one tweeter has far lower volume than the other. I swapped the tweeters between the speakers and both tweeters are fine, the problem stayed with the left speaker.

I had a perfect pair of 2.3TL's but like a fool I sold 'em. What was I thinkin' :eek: Now I find these 3.1's that need help!

OK guys.......how am I gonna fix it? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Best,

Paul :D
Main system: Levinson Reference 32 Preamp/30.6 DAC/31.5 Transport/Sony SCD777ES/VPI Aries w/SDS JMW 10.5 arm/Van den Hul Frog/Levinson 33 Monoblocks/33H Monoblocks/Transparent reference XL interconnect & Speaker cable/Nearfield Acoustics Pipedream Reference 18 Line Array.
Bedroom: Levinson 390S/380S/ML3/Sony SCD 777ES/McIntosh MC2000/Infinity IRS-Beta
Post edited by beemer on

Comments

• beemer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Hey Paul,

Can you take the faulty 3.1tl and hook it up the other speaker wire?, Just to make sure it's not your amp.

then we can move on from there.

Las

Done that. Same with 2 different known good source amps.

Best,

Main system: Levinson Reference 32 Preamp/30.6 DAC/31.5 Transport/Sony SCD777ES/VPI Aries w/SDS JMW 10.5 arm/Van den Hul Frog/Levinson 33 Monoblocks/33H Monoblocks/Transparent reference XL interconnect & Speaker cable/Nearfield Acoustics Pipedream Reference 18 Line Array.
    Bedroom: Levinson 390S/380S/ML3/Sony SCD 777ES/McIntosh MC2000/Infinity IRS-Beta
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    edited June 2007
    Options
    The 3.1TL's do not have a polyswitch. I'd do as Las suggested.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• beemer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Update:

Further testing reveals that BOTH crossovers with just the tweeter pluged in sound identical.........however one crossover if you have just the Low/mid pluffed in and then plug in the tweeter, it increases the HF information on the low and mid frequency drivers as well.

The other xover if you have just the low/mids pluffed in, and then plug in the tweeter, it only affects the tweeter. LOL this thing is gonna make me crazy.:eek:

Thoughts of the more experienced PLEASE! ;)

Best,

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Trust me....they ARE of the more experienced! They are all SDA owners and gurus! I totally trust their opinions. :D
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • beemer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    Trust me....they ARE of the more experienced! They are all SDA owners and gurus! I totally trust their opinions. :D

LOL ain't that the truth. I am a Polk newbie. These guys have helped me in the past. I'm hoping I'm gonna be able to straighten out these 3.1TL's before I'm ready for a straightjacket. They are makin' me crazy.

Best,

Paul
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Further testing reveals that BOTH crossovers with just the tweeter pluged in sound identical.........however one crossover if you have just the Low/mid pluffed in and then plug in the tweeter, it increases the HF information on the low and mid frequency drivers as well.

The other xover if you have just the low/mids pluffed in, and then plug in the tweeter, it only affects the tweeter.

Hmmm......might be time to rebuild those crossovers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• beemer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Or return them and wait for another pair of 2.3's to show up. What state are you in Paul?

LOL I own them....it was a C/L sale. I am in Massachusetts.

Best,