Quick, I need opinions on these Pioneers

Pantocrator
Pantocrator Posts: 84
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I can get, until Monday, either the Pioneer 980BT HU or the Pioneer 880PRS HU at $400 each, which is a savings of about 200 bucks per. I've heard that the 880PRS is awesome SQ, and I really need and love that, but the 980 BT seems to have the same audio specs plus a color screen and bluetooth. They're the same price- both massively discounted. What do I do?

In before barrel roll, etc.
My system (thanks to everybody for the help)
One pair Polk SR6500 comps
One Polk SR124DVC sub
One Pioeer Premier 880PRS HU
One Memphis belle 16MCH1300 amp
Post edited by Pantocrator on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    Without having looked up ANYTHING on either of them (and just assuming that they are, indeed, identical as far as SQ and adjustments), I'd take the one with bluetooth. I'd personally love to have that in my car, and a color screen is always neat.

But....why don't you just get both?

:D:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Pantocrator
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, but nobody ever talks about the 980BT, just the 880PRS when it comes to SQ- but under the specs, I cannot find a difference between them....
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    The 880 has dual left and right 16-band eq's, the 980 has a single 16 band eq
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Pantocrator
    edited June 2007
    Does that really matter? Is it that big of a difference, in your opinion?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    Its a HUGE difference if youre wanting the best SQ. The more tuning features the more youll be able to dial in great sound. But if youre interested in pointless things like color screens and bluetooth, then get the 980. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    i have the 800-series pioneer premier of last year (don't remember the exact number), and it's amazing... if you're in to tweaking, that 16-band-per-side eq will give you equal parts joy and evilness... i'm a tweaker, so i love it
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited June 2007
    so where can you get these? :) I would certainly like to have the 880prs for 200 dollars!
  • Pantocrator
    edited June 2007
    400 bucks, anywhere they are sold. Pioneer is giving a sale on all their parts to dealers (not internet) for the next shipment, which is coming in Monday. My place is getting 24 units each, so I have a while I guess to buy them... I don't really care about the "pointless things," buy you have to admit that they might come in handy. I've heard that the 880PRS has easy to break nobs, and I have heard nothing about the 980BT. I honestly cannot see why I would want to have the left and right sides unequally balanced, such as heavier bass on my left and more treble on my right...
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • exalted512
    edited June 2007
    Because in cars, unlike home audio, not all things are created equal.

I have the 880 and havent had any problems with the knobs...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    Damn, 16 band L/R EQ. That is a pretty damn cool feature. Its the only head unit I know of with independant left and right EQ's. Thats a HUGE bonus! Id say thats even more important than time alignment.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Pantocrator
    edited June 2007
    Is there a guide online on how to use ind. left right eq? I'm still torn, but you all seem to like the 880PRS a lot more.
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    If you're majorly into SQ, as in competing, I'm sure the independent L/R EQ's would be AWESOME!

However, if you just like a really nice sound audio system for you car during your commute, I personally think it'd be overkill.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Pantocrator
    edited June 2007
    I'm a really good musician, and I love music and sound. I want the absolute highest quality sound I can afford, but I will never enter a competition. I just don't know what the purpose is... Maybe someone at a store can explain it to me better.
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2007
    in my car, for example, the tweeters are at the level of my calves. on the left side, that means the thing is half-firing into my leg, and i need more treble of certain frequencies on that side ( and less midbass, because its resonant cavity is closer to my ears). the separate bands allow me to eq these problems away without **** up the sound from the right side of the car, which has a direct line of sight to my ears.

i also have had no problems with my dials...

far as a guide, i have none for an eq yet (it's on the to-do list), but one for setting gains is here, if you like...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Pantocrator
    edited June 2007
    I just heard that the 880PRS allows you to turn off the internal amp, increasing SQ from the HU- can the 980BT do that, and what other (non Pioneer or whatever) models have that feature. That seems like the best feature a SQ HU can really have... maybe (?)
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    That's really getting into the nitty-gritty. In my feeble mind, I imagine that's even more for the hardcore audiophile than the dual channel EQ.

I know a few HU's have that feature, but I'm really not sure how common it is.

Cody said the EQ was the ONLY difference between those two, so I'd assume you could also turn off the internal amp in the 980BT, but I'm not sure.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited June 2007
    that is a very important feature. my kenwood x990 has that ability.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • exalted512
    edited June 2007
    I'm not sure if you can with the 980, but i didnt hear a difference when i turned the amp off in my g/fs 880...im sure it runs cooler and might last longer, but i didnt hear an audible difference.
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you can with the 980, but i didnt hear a difference when i turned the amp off in my g/fs 880...im sure it runs cooler and might last longer, but i didnt hear an audible difference.
    -Cody

i second that... i like the fact that it won't accidentally spark off the back of the unit, but i can't tell the difference... granted, i don't have the most amazing setup ever, and i didn't test thoroughly or at full volume, but i don't listen that hard or that loud most of the time...

• Pantocrator
    edited June 2007
    Do you know what the feature is called? I was told by the manager of the store that only the 880PRS has it (among Pioneer) but under the website's features and specs lists, I cannot find it. Is it DSP perchance?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2007
    their specs don't seem to list this capability, but i'd be mildly confused if a higher-end product doesn't have a feature that a lower-end one does. it's definitely not DSP, that's things like compression that you can use but probably won't.

on the unit, it says something like 'internal amp power off'